Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade has trashed my laptop

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade has trashed my laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After trying the Win 7 - Win 10 upgrade on my old Compaq knockabout laptop, and it going fine other than completely loosing the Internet Security suite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by boniface53, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Windows 10 upgrade has trashed my laptop

After trying the Win 7 - Win 10 upgrade on my old Compaq knockabout laptop, and it going fine other than completely loosing the Internet Security suite (COMODO), I decided to upgrade my main laptop, an Acer Travelmate 5740.

The upgrade itself went fine; however, on booting into Windows 10, the first thing I noticed was that I was down to a basic Microsoft Video driver, offering 1024x768 resolution, instead of the native 1366 x 768. No problem, I though, I'll just hop online and download the latest driver. And then I noticed that I had "limited" WiFi connectivity - on all networks I tried to connect to.
    I tried forgetting the networks and reconnecting - it can see them all OK, and "connect" to them, but Limited (this on a network with at least 7 other devices connecting fine (Win 7, Win 10, Linux, MacOS, Android). I looked for the old VPN software issue: not present. I reset the TCP/IP stack - no change. I connected to a LAN cable - no connection. Both adapters are correctly identified, although the WiFi adapter shows as "shared" although no sharing tab appears in properties. And ipconfig only displays "Windows IP configuration" with no IP information. Diagnosis shows a driver problem (no kidding), but can't fix it.

And the Acer site shows no Windows 10 drivers for the laptop.
    I'm tempted to suggest spent more time on the logo than on the OS.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

:)

boniface53, Aug 10, 2015

2. Windows 10 upgrade has trashed my laptop

No drivers were displayed, only programs.

EdwinHumphries, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Windows 10 upgrade has trashed my laptop

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try installing the drivers in compatibility mode since Windows 10 drivers are not available and check if this helps:

• Press the ‘Windows key on the keyboard.
    • Type compatibility in the search box and then press
      enter
    • Click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” option from the list appeared in the left side.
    • Select the drivers and install.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Aug 10, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 upgrade has trashed my laptop

Open the network and sharing center, click on the left column change adapter settings. How many network adapters are showing? Try disabling all of them except for your actual physical wireless and LAN adapters, reboot, go back and see if they are still disabled and if you have internet access.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  5. Thanks NavyLCDR.

There are only two adaptors listed, both Broadcom: a NetLink Gigabit Ethernet and an 802.11n.

boniface53, Aug 10, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    What about assigning static IP addresses to it in the IP4 properties under the WiFi adapters? Seems like it is not pulling IP addresses from the router's DHCP server.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  7. Tried that: still showed problems with drivers (both ethernet & Wifi) even after installing the latest drivers from the Broadcom site. And ifconfig showed nothing.

boniface53, Aug 10, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Maybe turn IPv6 off for the network adapters?

The only other thing would be to do another upgrade. Go back to a previous OS, make sure everything is working. Use an ISO file for the upgrade and this time before doing the upgrade make sure the computer cannot connect to the internet. No cable connected to Ethernet and disable the wireless adapter (even just in Windows if that is all you can do). Try the upgrade without connection to the internet, then when it is up and running plug a cable into the Ethernet adapter.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    On the Acer site there is a link to HWVendorDetection.exe.

Windows 10 upgrade has trashed my laptop [​IMG]

Run that and see what it says for your LAN and Wireless. May be able to find a Windows 10 (or Windows 8) driver that works for you.

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2015
  10. I've previously tried turning of IPV6, with no result. The Acer utility showed the LAN and WiFi devices were Broadcom; the new drivers I installed were from Broadcom, and described as
    "NetLink®/NetXtreme® I Desktop/Mobile/Server (x64) This driver does not support BCM5700, BCM5701 and BCM5702 devices. The following Operating Systems are supported: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2012 and Windows 2012 R2.

BCM5705 , BCM5703 , BCM5721 , BCM5751 , BCM5788 , BCM5704 , BCM5752 , BCM5789 , BCM5723 , BCM5761 , BCM5787 , BCM5755 , BCM5722 , BCM5754 , BCM5718 , BCM57765 , BCM57761 , BCM5719 , BCM5725 , BCM5762 , BCM5720 , BCM57766 "

Not quite sure whether it's possible to find out if I have one of the unsupported devices.

boniface53, Aug 11, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Right click on the network adapter in Device Manger and click properties. Then click the details tab, scroll down in the Properties dialog box to hardware ids. Copy the top one. Should look something like:
    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_3591103C&REV_06

Then google it.

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2015
  12. So I booted into Linux, ran lspci, which immediately told me what my chipsets were: and searching identified there are no drivers past Windows 7.

I would have thought that an upgrade process designed for non-geeks would have some sort of process to ensure that an upgrade does not proceed if there are no compatible drivers. The Linux Live DVD identified and loaded the correct drivers and I was immediately able to browse the web,

So I'm rolling back to Windows 7. I guess that's a solution of sorts.

boniface53, Aug 11, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

You can manually load the drivers for Windows 7 in Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade has trashed my laptop - Similar Threads - upgrade has trashed

2. My laptop has Window 8. Can I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop has Window 8. Can I upgrade to Windows 10?: My laptop came with Windows 8. I need to upgrade to Windows 10 so I can install TurboTax 2022. Is this possible and if so, how do I do it?...
  3. My laptop has Window 8. Can I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop has Window 8. Can I upgrade to Windows 10?: My laptop came with Windows 8. I need to upgrade to Windows 10 so I can install TurboTax 2022. Is this possible and if so, how do I do it?...
  4. My laptop has Window 8. Can I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My Dell Laptop is Trashed!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Dell Laptop is Trashed!: Because the “Go Back” to Windows 10 button was Greyed Out! Facepalm. What a disaster! : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dell-laptop-is-trashed/d1e02d69-105a-41a7-b21b-53ed8b910c14
  6. My Dell Laptop is Trashed!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Dell Laptop is Trashed!: Because the “Go Back” to Windows 10 button was Greyed Out! Facepalm. What a disaster! : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dell-laptop-is-trashed/d1e02d69-105a-41a7-b21b-53ed8b910c14
  7. Windows 10 is trash

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 is trash: **** you Microsoft Windows 10 is trash. Fix your god dam operating system. Companies need to Start supporting Linux so I can stop using your trash OS. I should not have **** problems with your **** OS crashing all the **** time. Biggest **** problem is your **** drivers...
  8. Windows Update trashed my Laptop AGAIN

Windows Update trashed my Laptop AGAIN: ONCE AGAIN !!! Windows have forced a update onto my Toshiba Satillite A200 laptop and now the built in LAN will not work due to the crappy driver Microsoft insists is the correct one for the machine. I know the A200 is a very old laptop by todays standards but it is a well...
  9. Windows 10 Updates Trash My Desktop

Windows 10 Updates Trash My Desktop: Windows 10 Updates often trash my Desktop Layout. Everything is still there but it is completely re-arranged. This is particularly annoying when I have allowed the desktop to accumulate too much crap but still have all the important, frequently used stuff in discrete, easy to...
  10. My windows 10 upgrade has frozen

My windows 10 upgrade has frozen: I am past the "Working on it message". The system told me it was preparing the upgrade but this might take a couple of hours so sit back!! I now have a black screen with a blue window in the middle and the pc has frozen for 90 minutes so far. I have a Dell Studio pc with...