Windows 10: Windows 10 Upgrade Installation: Digital License vs. Product Key Strangeness?

Discus and support Windows 10 Upgrade Installation: Digital License vs. Product Key Strangeness? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have 2 Dell laptops, personally owned and maintained, one is for business use and the other is for my personal use. Both came with Win 7 Pro OEM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kooolerking, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Installation: Digital License vs. Product Key Strangeness?

I have 2 Dell laptops, personally owned and maintained, one is for business use and the other is for my personal use. Both came with Win 7 Pro OEM stickers with keys, and I had Windows 7 Pro installed on each prior to upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

First, I upgraded my personal laptop to Windows 10 Pro at the beginning of 2020 using a retail Microsoft USB media preloaded with Win 10 Pro version 1903. I used the retail pack method as it also came with a new Win 10 key card as I knew I was long past the free Win 10 upgrade period. The upgrade went ok, but interestingly, Win 10 activated without ever asking me to enter the Product Key from the key card. I assumed that somehow it automatically applied a digital license or read a Product Key from the USB media directly just guessing.

Then recently, I upgraded my second business laptop to Windows 10 Pro, also using a retail Microsoft USB media preloaded with Win 10 Pro. Again, the upgrade went ok, but interestingly, again Win 10 activated without ever asking me to manually enter a Product Key.

Now, curious as to what keys were actually being used to activate Win 10 on each laptop, I used a script to retrieve the keys from each and to my surprise, both laptops had the same 25-character key / digital license! Additionally, this same installed key didn't match the product keys from either of the retail key cards that I had purchased! Does this sound normal?

I don't normally have both laptops powered-on at the same time, but will I eventually run into some kind of conflict or activation problem with Microsoft if both laptops have Win10 installed having the same digital license key? To avoid any potential issues in the future, should I change one or both laptops to instead use the product keys that came with the retail Win 10 packages? Thanks for your thoughts.

:)

kooolerking, Dec 26, 2020

2. Digital license & product key details

• Hi, I'm running Windows 10 already and received an upgrade notification from Microsoft but can't install it because I don't have the Product Key or Digital Licence details

Dave Roberts 1052, Dec 26, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Digital license key

What do you mean by digital license "key"? I've heard of a digital license for Windows 10, and I've heard of a Product Key for Windows 10, but I've never heard of a digital license key.

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade Installation: Digital License vs. Product Key Strangeness?

Digital license & product key details

How do I upgrade Windows 10 (this was from Windows 8 via free upgrade) without
    digital license & product key details?

Dave Roberts 1052, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Upgrade Installation: Digital License vs. Product Key Strangeness?

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Installation: Digital License vs. Product Key Strangeness? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Installation Digital

2. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  3. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  4. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Activation license vs. product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation license vs. product key: I bought a used computer with Windows 10 pre-loaded, but found it wasn't activated. I bought a copy through the Windows store, but no product key was ever provided. It seems to be tied to my Microsoft account. I don't want to need to sign into an account to activate every...
  6. Activation license vs. product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation license vs. product key: I bought a used computer with Windows 10 pre-loaded, but found it wasn't activated. I bought a copy through the Windows store, but no product key was ever provided. It seems to be tied to my Microsoft account. I don't want to need to sign into an account to activate every...
  7. Windows 10 Digital License and Product key

Windows 10 Digital License and Product key: Hi,I'm using windows 10, activated by digital license linked to my Microsoft account on this device and I'm purchasing a new laptop with windows 10 pre-installed. So can I use my Microsoft account which is used in this device that is activated with digital license on my new...
  8. Product key? Or, digital license?

Product key? Or, digital license?: Dell Inspiron 3647. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade. No tech will be attempting a hard drive change. For reinstalling, I keep reading a 25 character product key. I have 20. It does specify Windows 10 is activated with a digital license. I know once I...
  9. Windows 10 Digital license to product key

Windows 10 Digital license to product key: I bought a prebuild gaming computer with windows 10 home installed. Once setting on the computer, I linked my microsoft account to the product key. Here we are a year later, I upgraded the CPU and GPU, same digital license. Now, I just installed a new motherboard, and windows...
  10. Windows 10 Digital License vs Product Key

Windows 10 Digital License vs Product Key: Hi, I am looking to upgrade my pc and was looking into how I would have to reactivate my windows 10 OS afterwards. I understand the difference between a digital license and a product key - or at least I thought I did. But my question has to do with my laptop. I...