Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade is full clean installation ?

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade is full clean installation ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had windows 8.1 pro original dvd installed on my system. Then I upgraded free to windows 10. Now I want to make a new clean installation of windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Chocolade, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Chocolade Win User

Windows 10 upgrade is full clean installation ?

I had windows 8.1 pro original dvd installed on my system.
    Then I upgraded free to windows 10.
    Now I want to make a new clean installation of windows 10 without keeping old files and directories and apps on c:\

So I downloaded the Microsoft windows 10 media creation tool.
    Running it and I selected not to upgrade but : Create installation media for another PC
    Now it's downloading the windows 10 and in the end I will create a bootable installation on my flash drive disk on key.

My question is if I will need a serial number/key when installing the windows 10 ?
    My goal is to install a new clean windows 10 even with formatting c:\ or even delete and create new partition on c:\ but the idea is to install new clean windows 10.

:)

Chocolade, Apr 13, 2016

2. Anyone who does a clean install of Windows Technical Preview will be eligible to install the full-fledged Windows 10?

Original Title: Upgrading from Windows Technical Preview to a full-fledged and genuine Windows 10

According to FAQs, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to those who install the Windows Technical Preview.

Does that mean anyone who does a clean install
    of Windows Technical Preview will be eligible to install the full-fledged Windows 10?

One scenario:

If a user is using Windows XP, Vista or even a pirated copy of Windows, he can choose to download and do a clean install of the Windows Technical Preview. Will he be eligible to upgrade to Windows 10?

Neelam Nursee, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Aerthand Win User
    Could I format my laptop before upgrading to Windows 10?

No, you cannot do a "clean" install of Windows 10 using the free upgrade. Here is how it the upgrade really works:

1.) You have an existing install of Windows 7/8/8.1

2.) You "upgrade" to Windows 10

3.) You use the "Reset my PC" feature to then re-install Windows 10 which they say is a "clean" install, but really isn't since it's using pre-staged files on the same partition without doing a zero-fill.

If you want to do a full genuine clean install where you re-partition your hard disk, reformat it, and then drop a new installation of Windows 10, you need to buy the full version. $200 for Pro.

Aerthand, Apr 13, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

You will NOT need product key at all. Even in Clean install.

You already have Windows 10 installed and activated. Yes ?
    If so, you are "digital entitled ".
    You can reinstall the same Win 10 edition in the same computer as often as you want and anytime you want.
    Activation will be automatic.

During the Clean Install, if you are asked to enter the product key, just click the SKIP ( or the "I do not have a product key" ) option and continue.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Apr 13, 2016
  5. You can just go into Settings and then go to System... then reinstall Windows 10 from there. Or Refresh, which if you know there is a problem with Windows, you can refresh which reinstalls everything as if you bought it from the store or built, but keeps your files, just removes the programs you installed. *Smile

Computer Chicken, Apr 13, 2016
  6. If that original 8.1 Pro was a factory OEM install, windows 10 will read the OEM key from the BIOS automatically. You won't be prompted to select Home or Pro or be asked for a key. And It will activate with the original digital entitlement.

If that 8.1 Pro install was from a Retail DVD, you'll be asked to select Home or Pro. Select Pro and do a skip when asked for a key. It will activate with the original digital entitlement. You could enter your 8.1 Pro key if you wanted, but why bother, if you don't have to.

alphanumeric, Apr 14, 2016
  7. RWOne Win User
    The OP has win 10 installed thru upgrade and is activated, now wants a clean install without his files.

Won't backing up files, and then doing a reset of his PC without saving anything accomplish this in the easiest manner?

RWOne, Apr 14, 2016
  8. Windows 10 upgrade is full clean installation ?

Depends on what your definition of a "clean install" is, and how clean you want the install. A reset won't remove any factory recovery partitions etc, if there are some. Sounds like the OP wants to wipe everything and start over fresh to me. The main question, I believe, was about needing the key or not?

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade is full clean installation ? - Similar Threads - upgrade full clean

2. 8.1 clean install, upgrade to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8.1 clean install, upgrade to 10: I have to perform a clean install of Windows 8.1. Can I bypass that installation if I know I'll be upgrading to 10.Note: this PC came from HP. So I don't have a key.Thanks in advance....
  3. 8.1 clean install, upgrade to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    8.1 clean install, upgrade to 10: I have to perform a clean install of Windows 8.1. Can I bypass that installation if I know I'll be upgrading to 10.Note: this PC came from HP. So I don't have a key.Thanks in advance....
  4. Upgrade or Clean install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade or Clean install?: Are there any problems after updating from Windows 7 like sysytem being slow or crashing? How much free space is needed on C drive? submitted by /u/countdooku1729 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e3aga4/upgrade_or_clean_install/
  5. Upgrade or clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  6. Full Install of Windows 10 on an Upgraded Machine

Full Install of Windows 10 on an Upgraded Machine: Hello, So, I'm interested in wiping (i.e. format) my entire harddrive and doing a fresh Windows 10 install on the computer. I've already burned a Windows 10 installation ISO onto a dvd, but I'm wondering if a full install of Windows 10 works on an Acer laptop that was...
  7. Upgrade or Clean Install....?

Upgrade or Clean Install....?: Having read a number of articles on the subject of "Upgrade or Clean Install", I am still uncertain as to which option delivers the greatest benefits with the least disadvantages. Currently it seems that the decision is one of personal preference - but experience shows us...
  8. Clean install on upgraded Windows 10

Clean install on upgraded Windows 10: Hello folks, I tried to perform a clean install on the very first instance at the time of 'upgrade' but since it didn't work. I had to upgrade it on existing windows 7 installation. Now the machine is so slow that constantly it shows 100% disk usage. I tried every possible...
  9. Upgrade or Clean install?

Upgrade or Clean install?: I installed Win10 (clean Install) then reinstalled Win7 (clean). I'm now going to reinstall Win10 again after getting answers to issues I had with it. So my question, is it easier to just upgrade to Win10 since my programs are already installed in Win7, rather than a clean...
  10. Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.

Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.: Hello guys, when W10 first came out, I upgraded it from Win 8.1 to 10. Now, I want to make a clean install of W10, and I was wondering If I could use my W8.1 key. I mean, not installing 8.1 and upgrading, just installing W10 and putting the cd key, since I have it...