Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade nightmare

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade nightmare in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I have an SSD over here with a old Windows 10 installation (build16299.492) which is the Fall Creators Update and for whatever reason I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Yuuki47, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Yuuki47 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade nightmare

Hello.

I have an SSD over here with a old Windows 10 installation (build16299.492) which is the Fall Creators Update and for whatever reason I have serious trouble with upgrading to the latest build. Lately I noticed that I wasn't getting any updates whatsoever. So not only can I not upgrade to latest Windows 10 but I can't even update my current build, that's not very reassuring security-wise.

The problem is, that no matter what I try, the upgrade assistant will tell me "Sorry but we are having trouble determining if this computer can run Windows 10" even though it currently is!

Things I've tried so far:

• Run Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter - Fixed numerous things supposedly, but still facing issues.
    • Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder
    • Starting an Upgrade from a Windows 10 image instead of the Upgrade Assistant. Still no difference.
    • Rebuild the Windows Update Database (which ended up deleting a huge error history of Windows Updates that I was hoping to show in hopes of figuring this out)

And well, that's it. I have no idea what else to try, hence why I am here. I really want to avoid reinstalling Windows 10 from start because I have too much installed already. Here is my setuperr.log in case you can help me figure out the problem with that.

Thank you!

:)

Yuuki47, Sep 29, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade nightmare - Similar Threads - upgrade nightmare

2. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure: A bit of conflict between a windows 10 upgrading to windows 11 update failure discovered while attempting to install McAfee Scanning Tool. Windows error: This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11....
  3. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure: A bit of conflict between a windows 10 upgrading to windows 11 update failure discovered while attempting to install McAfee Scanning Tool. Windows error: This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11....
  4. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My PC has been a nightmare to use ever since upgrading to Windows 11. any way to go back to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC has been a nightmare to use ever since upgrading to Windows 11. any way to go back to...: I was excited to use windows 11 on my laptop back then, but now I want to plow my fist through it. It's super slow, can't run games well, and has just been a nightmare to use. The worst part was when I got fed up and tried going back to Windows 10, the grace period ended. so...
  6. My PC has been a nightmare to use ever since upgrading to Windows 11. any way to go back to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC has been a nightmare to use ever since upgrading to Windows 11. any way to go back to...: I was excited to use windows 11 on my laptop back then, but now I want to plow my fist through it. It's super slow, can't run games well, and has just been a nightmare to use. The worst part was when I got fed up and tried going back to Windows 10, the grace period ended. so...
  7. HOH2LATEST UPGRADE NIGHTMARE NO LONGER HAVE A WORKABLE WINDOWS EDITION

HOH2LATEST UPGRADE NIGHTMARE NO LONGER HAVE A WORKABLE WINDOWS EDITION: All folders and files in HP directories have elevate privilegescan no longer access MMC because it says my edition of windows does not have the capability of snap insI now have an win32 executable file TROJANI tried to reset the PC from both the cloud and the local. and...
  8. Upgrading to Win10 has become a nightmare.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading to Win10 has become a nightmare.: I’m not sure if this is the right sub to post this on but here it goes. After really not wanting to upgrade my windows from 8.1 to 10 for the 4th time (because every time I did it I would get major issues) I thought this time would be different. Me just wanting to play the...
  9. windows 10 1903 upgrade nightmare

windows 10 1903 upgrade nightmare: hello, I completed about a week without successful 1903 windows 10 update. The pc keeps running and running. I have tried with direct update from windows configuration. Last I tried with an iso windows downloaded and burned on a dvd disc. Previous trials a black screen with...
  10. Upgraded from 7 to 10 and encoutered an avalanche of nightmares

Upgraded from 7 to 10 and encoutered an avalanche of nightmares: That is still going on. Every single day for the last four or five days has been a nightmare. A (not comprehensive) sample of my problems so far: - Show windows side by side no longer works - Creating an image copy after "remove properties and personal information" is no...