Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have MS 8.1 Media Center with thousands of dollars of purchased software installed on it. Due to a fire in our office I have lost all the original... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DarrellAHobbs, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center

I have MS 8.1 Media Center with thousands of dollars of purchased software installed on it.

Due to a fire in our office I have lost all the original installation CD's for that software.

Question is, I'm ready to move to Windows 10 and Office 2019.

Can I upgrade to Windows 10 without having to re-install all my original software?

Do I need a CD of Win 10, or will a internet download work?

If not, can I downgrade 8.1 Media Center to 8.1 Pro OEM? I bought a new copy of 8.1 Pro OEM but the key won't activate, presumably because of Media Center which I really don't need.

Thanks!

:)

DarrellAHobbs, Aug 6, 2020
  2. FordGT90Concept, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Law-II Win User
    Windows Media Center Live TV Help

Hi

go here - Hauppauge | Page Not Found select "Windows Media Center install" tab

look at - Setting up your TV tuner in Windows 7 Media Center - select download (will open a pdf with screen by screen instructions)
    "Download
    Here is a screen by screen view of the setup of Windows Media Center. It was based on the WinTV-HVR-1600, but the setup with other WinTV-HVR products will be similar."

Follow the guide stage by stage

let the TPU community know at what "step" Media Center gets stuck at Example: step 1, step 2

nb: It may be to do with your zip code and or post code not being entered

In regard to your DVD Rom drive - go to -control panel/device manager/DVD/CD-ROM drives -make a note of the make and model number Example: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-215D ATA Device - highlight the device you have installed -press right mouse button-select properties-details-property and select Install Date from the drop down list and let us know this.

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Law-II, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center

windows 7 8 or 10

We can kick Windows 8.1 to the curb right away. Windows 10, in tablet mode, is effectively identical...not that I would recommend using tablet mode.

The only advantage Windows 8.1 has over Windows 10 is Windows Media Center. Windows 10 doesn't have it and likely will never support it. Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox One and use that, instead of your computer, for media, and then stream it to your Windows 10 machine from the Xbox One. Windows Media Center on 7 seems to not be getting updates anymore (worked off of Vista guide info which shut down). Windows Media Center on 8.1 costs $10 to upgrade on Pro or $100 to upgrade on Home.

The Windows 7 upgrade (should still work for about 10 months yet) requires:
    1) Install Windows 7.
    2) Activate Windows 7.
    3) Upgrade to Windows 10.
    4) Activate Windows 10.
    At this point, you could either stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to Windows 7 by doing a clean install.

Personally, I would go with Windows 10. It has some bugs but it is pretty good overall.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center

1. Windows 10 upgrade of Windows 8.1 Media Center - Similar Threads - upgrade Media Center

2. Window Media Center

in Windows 10 Customization
    Window Media Center: how do i conncet my pc to window media https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-media-center/1eab3dec-0a3e-482a-8ee3-ee4d29a3cf0d
  3. windows media center

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows media center: how to i get the internet tv to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-center/51d4e124-c330-4adc-ab56-07efefc6d65b
  4. windows media center for windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows media center for windows 10: windows media center is not available for windows 10, is there a work around for installing a workable version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-center-for-windows-10/c8ea1d13-b934-49b5-bcc7-65932d876ee3
  5. Windows Media Center on Windows 10...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Media Center on Windows 10...: I have tried several different HTPC software packages, but none are as good as Windows Media Center. I had to keep Windows 7 on 3 computers I use for watching TV. If Microsoft would release a version for Windows 10, I'd upgrade. They could control their costs by...
  6. Windows 10 as media center?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 as media center?: Which version of Windows 10 should I use as a media center for accessing NAS held movies plus living room browsing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-as-media-center/65485306-6402-456a-9d50-70c767f3bf9b
  7. Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center?

Windows 10 Upgrade Failing - because of media center?: I have been attempting to do an in place upgrade of windows 7 professional to windows 10 for the last few weeks and can't get it to work. I used the windows media creation tool to download windows 10 to an ISO file on the computer which I then extracted. I run setup and it...
  8. Windows Media Center with W10 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Center with W10 upgrade?: Can someone confirm if this is true? I was told that if you upgrade to 10 from 8.1 that has WMC, that the program will still be there. It apparently is only lost if you do a clean install. Is that true? The main reason I havent upgraded to 10 is bc I thought it meant losing...
  9. Windows Media Center

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Center: I've just tested and I was able to add Media Center to Windows 10 with my Windows 8 media center key *Party Although my desktop watermark now shows as Windows 8.1 with media center. 1963
  10. windows 10 upgrade from windows 8.1 pro with media center

windows 10 upgrade from windows 8.1 pro with media center: when the first windows upgrade appeared I signed on for upgrade 26/07/2015 windows upgrade gave me a message saying everything on my laptop (pc) is ready to upgrade even all app not from Microsoft are compatible with windows 10 29/07/15 I had 5 failed upgrade Microsoft say I...