Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade on windows 10

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade on windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I saw in win updates that i suddenly have windows 10 upgrade update rhat failed but i allready have windows 10. So i clicked to reinstall this update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Dragan, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Dragan Win User

Windows 10 upgrade on windows 10

I saw in win updates that i suddenly have windows 10 upgrade update rhat failed but i allready have windows 10. So i clicked to reinstall this update that failed so comp restarted and went in bkack screen like it was when i upgraded from 7. And he started to do upgrade of windows 10 to windows 10 lol. Now it started again and everything is as i see in place where it was. But i now have new windows.old folder that i deleted after upgeading to 10. What happend there and is it safe to delete new windows.old folder or i need to copy something from there?
    Edit: btw windows folder is 16 gb and windows.old is 17 gb.

:)

Dragan, Dec 8, 2015

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Dec 8, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Dec 8, 2015
  4. Windows 10 upgrade on windows 10

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum

That sounds as though your machine has just had the big November update, this installed like the original update to Win 10 and created the windows.old folder

I would leave the windows.old folder for a while until you are sure that everything is fine

paulsalter, Dec 8, 2015
  5. Dragan Win User
    Ah tnx i saw topics of this november update that you couldnt get if you upgraded in november probably i needed exactly month to get it after i upgraded from win 7... Its much clearer now. Tnx for fast reply.

Dragan, Dec 8, 2015
  6. Hi,
    That's right, its 30 days after you updated from 7 when this becomes available

Hope everything runs smoothly for you *Smile

paulsalter, Dec 8, 2015
  7. Sonjstar Win User
    The Windows 10 Nov. update has still not showed up in my friends notifications. Her PC updated from Win 8.1 to Win 10 as soon as Win 10 came out; showed up in her notifications. All other updates have showed up and been downloaded, but the Nov Update has not shown up yet. When I say not shown up, I mean nothing saying there was an error, nothing showing it tried to download and failed. Is it OK for her to just leave her PC alone and just wait for the Update to show in her notifications? She would not want to use the Microsoft Tool to try to force a download.

Sonjstar, Dec 8, 2015
  8. Dragan Win User

In update screen click on advanced options and untick defer updates

Dragan, Dec 9, 2015
  9. Sonjstar Win User
    She does not have Win 10 Pro. She has Win 10 Home. I have the Home version and we do not have defer updates.

Sonjstar, Dec 9, 2015
  10. Dragan Win User
    Pls can you tell me when you run winver in run what version and build nuber you get?

Dragan, Dec 9, 2015
  11. Sonjstar Win User
    Right click on your start button\Run\then type in winver\OK and it will pop ujp.

Sonjstar, Dec 9, 2015
  12. Sonjstar Win User
    Sorry I was not paying attention to what you had wrote. I have all the updates, far as I know and mine is Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.29

Sonjstar, Dec 9, 2015
  13. Dragan Win User

Whell 15 means 2015 and 11 means november, build number is 10586.29 same as mine and i am up to date so thats mean that we got november update. You probably got it when leaving laptop on while you were away so it got downloaded automaticly and installed on next reboot. Check your girlfriends laptop for windows version if she have same version she allso got november update.

Dragan, Dec 9, 2015
  14. Sonjstar Win User
    I wasn't asking about my computer to begin with. I know mine is up to date, I'm old but not a total moron. I was asking about my friends computer any way not getting the Nov. Update.

Sonjstar, Dec 9, 2015
  15. Dragan Win User
    I taught that yours comp and yours frend copm have same problem so i told you to check your version presuming you two have same version. So ask your firend what is her windows version if not same as ours the only solution i have found so far is this Windows 10 1511 ISO Download Guide (Fall Update/Threshold 2) - YouTube and this How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1511 Now and finaly this Is your PC not getting the Windows 10 November update? Just use the media creation tool | Windows Central. But before doing any of this stuff check her version of win if its lower than 1511 do upgrade that is explained in this links. Hope it helps.

Dragan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade on windows 10 - Similar Threads - upgrade

2. windows 11 2H23 upgrade replaced printer icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 2H23 upgrade replaced printer icons: I have seen others who have noted this issue but no solutions were given.After my Windows 11 PC was updated with the major 2H2023 release, all the printer icons in Devices and Printers were replaced with Generic versions. I would like to get the old ones back since they...
  3. windows 11 2H23 upgrade replaced printer icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 2H23 upgrade replaced printer icons: I have seen others who have noted this issue but no solutions were given.After my Windows 11 PC was updated with the major 2H2023 release, all the printer icons in Devices and Printers were replaced with Generic versions. I would like to get the old ones back since they...
  4. can I upgrade windows 10 enterprise to windows 11 pro? if so how? please help new job...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I upgrade windows 10 enterprise to windows 11 pro? if so how? please help new job...: Hello, I have Windows 10 Enterprise which I did not realize there was such a difference to upgrade. But in a few posts, I saw I have to go through a bunch of steps to get Windows Pro 11. can someone please help me understand how to do this? I have to have Windows Pro 11 for...
  5. can I upgrade windows 10 enterprise to windows 11 pro? if so how? please help new job...

can I upgrade windows 10 enterprise to windows 11 pro? if so how? please help new job...: Hello, I have Windows 10 Enterprise which I did not realize there was such a difference to upgrade. But in a few posts, I saw I have to go through a bunch of steps to get Windows Pro 11. can someone please help me understand how to do this? I have to have Windows Pro 11 for...
  6. can I upgrade windows 10 enterprise to windows 11 pro? if so how? please help new job...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. 0xC1900101-0x40021 can not upgrade to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0xC1900101-0x40021 can not upgrade to windows 11: Here is Logs.zip generate via SetupDiagLogs.zip Crash 0x00000004 detected Frame 0, module: nt Frame 1, module: WinSetupMon.sys Frame 2, module: WinSetupMon.sys Frame 3, module: FLTMGR.sysbut there is no setupmem.dmp at all.Thanks....
  8. 0xC1900101-0x40021 can not upgrade to windows 11

0xC1900101-0x40021 can not upgrade to windows 11: Here is Logs.zip generate via SetupDiagLogs.zip Crash 0x00000004 detected Frame 0, module: nt Frame 1, module: WinSetupMon.sys Frame 2, module: WinSetupMon.sys Frame 3, module: FLTMGR.sysbut there is no setupmem.dmp at all.Thanks....
  9. I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...: I'm buying a used HP laptop that has had all it's data including the original OS completely wiped via Blancco. The units original OS was Windows 8 Pro. I'm assuming the method to reinstall Windows is by using the Media Creation tool via USB. If I do this will the device...
  10. I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...

I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...: I'm buying a used HP laptop that has had all it's data including the original OS completely wiped via Blancco. The units original OS was Windows 8 Pro. I'm assuming the method to reinstall Windows is by using the Media Creation tool via USB. If I do this will the device...