Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade options

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade options in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have been using Windows 7 Pro, both at work and at home, for many years. The home machines are desktop and laptop machines. Recently one laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by clh46, Sep 14, 2019.

1. clh46 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade options

I have been using Windows 7 Pro, both at work and at home, for many years. The home machines are desktop and laptop machines. Recently one laptop was replaced by another that came with Windows 10 Home pre-installed. My wife consults from home and I knew her clients were all Office users so the upgrade to W10 made sense even if the laptop (Toshiba) hadn't died.

I know that support for Windows 7 ends soon but until now I have been reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10, both for reasons of cost and unfamiliarity. However, I am able to find my way around in Windows 10 and I am looking into upgrading the other machines in anticipation of the deadline.

I have a number of questions surrounding the topic and I would like to ask the community for their advice: Apparently there is more than one release number for Windows 10. What is the current (Pro) version and how will I know my upgrade version is current? Or will it be upgraded automatically? Or is that possible?

I would like to upgrade rather than replace (clean install) the OS and thereby keep as much of the installed files and apps as possible. I can purchase an upgrade package or download the upgrade package .ISO from Microsoft, but I believe I will need a license to activate the new version. Am I correct in this understanding? Are there any "gotchas" I need to look out for?

Lastly, there is a range of prices that I have seen for the upgrade, from ~$200 OEM to <$100 for third-party resellers to a few dollars from eBay sellers (who are just furnishing an email with a key, apparently). Cost is obviously a consideration but how can I find out, in advance, before installation, that the key furnished is legit, other than paying the long dollar to the OEM?

Thanks for your replies.

-CH-

:)

clh46, Sep 14, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 14, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 14, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade options - Similar Threads - upgrade options

2. I see no upgrade option to Windows 11 from my Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I see no upgrade option to Windows 11 from my Windows 10: Even if the PC health check app says that I my PC meets Win11 requirements. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-see-no-upgrade-option-to-windows-11-from-my/058b7b49-a887-4fb0-a2a6-9721420a4f98
  3. I upgraded my windows 10 to 11 and it deleted the option for a window hello how can I fix that

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I upgraded my windows 10 to 11 and it deleted the option for a window hello how can I fix that: I upgraded my windows 10 to 11 and it deleted the option for a window hello how can I fix that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-upgraded-my-windows-10-to-11-and-it-deleted-the/57faef38-1157-4b0a-af25-7186be9bd39a
  4. I upgraded my windows 10 to 11 and it deleted the option for a window hello how can I fix that

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I upgraded my windows 10 to 11 and it deleted the option for a window hello how can I fix that: I upgraded my windows 10 to 11 and it deleted the option for a window hello how can I fix that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-upgraded-my-windows-10-to-11-and-it-deleted-the/57faef38-1157-4b0a-af25-7186be9bd39a
  5. In Place Upgrade of Server 2012 Essentials to 2016 Essentials - Keeps Files & Apps Option...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Place Upgrade of Server 2012 Essentials to 2016 Essentials - Keeps Files & Apps Option...: I'm trying to do an in place upgrade of a server running Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Server 2016 Essentials as a temporary patch until a new server is installed in January. However, when I get to the selection as to keep everything or not The option to keep existing files...
  6. In Place Upgrade of Server 2012 Essentials to 2016 Essentials - Keeps Files & Apps Option...

In Place Upgrade of Server 2012 Essentials to 2016 Essentials - Keeps Files & Apps Option...: I'm trying to do an in place upgrade of a server running Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Server 2016 Essentials as a temporary patch until a new server is installed in January. However, when I get to the selection as to keep everything or not The option to keep existing files...
  7. My laptop running on windows10 is not showing option for upgradation to windows 11, how can...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop running on windows10 is not showing option for upgradation to windows 11, how can...: My laptop running on windows10 is not showing option for upgradation to windows 11, how can I upgrade to Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-running-on-windows10-is-not-showing/0af42a32-8ff5-4f56-af07-6b8b415d95ab
  8. My laptop running on windows10 is not showing option for upgradation to windows 11, how can...

My laptop running on windows10 is not showing option for upgradation to windows 11, how can...: My laptop running on windows10 is not showing option for upgradation to windows 11, how can I upgrade to Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-running-on-windows10-is-not-showing/0af42a32-8ff5-4f56-af07-6b8b415d95ab
  9. My laptop running on windows10 is not showing option for upgradation to windows 11, how can...

10. How can I upgrade OS when Windows Update fails, Reset PC fails, Recovery option fails?

How can I upgrade OS when Windows Update fails, Reset PC fails, Recovery option fails?: Windows update succeeds on Windows defender only. The notification says my computer is missing important security updates but when I click check updates it goes nowhere and leaves me with same notification Did the troubleshooter and Update Assistant.. Repeated attempts to...