Windows 10: Windows 10 Upgrade - Potential Filesystem Corruption

Discus and support Windows 10 Upgrade - Potential Filesystem Corruption in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 is great. It genuinely feels like a step forward instantly upon first experiencing it. Windows 8.1 took me nearly a year before I could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hydranix, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Hydranix Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade - Potential Filesystem Corruption

Windows 10 is great.

It genuinely feels like a step forward instantly upon first experiencing it. Windows 8.1 took me nearly a year before I could appreciate it's advancements over Windows 7.

I upgraded my Surface Pro 3 on the night after Windows 10's release. I started the upgrade process, went to bed, and was talking to Cortana before I could pour my coffee.

I never received any notification in Windows Update to upgrade, so I used the Media Creation Tool to kick-start the process. It went smooth and all of my programs, settings, even small customizations I had made carried over to Windows 10 perfectly. An impressive feat by Microsoft.

I watched the same story unfold on 2 more computers, one with older and somewhat out-of-the-ordinary hardware (optical touch screen, weird unlisted AMD processor, etc.), the other a brand new custom built Haswell i3 Baby-Gamer.

I even watched the upgrade succeed on my roommates non-genuine cracked Windows 8.1 Pro, and genuinely activate.

So I decided to do the same upgrade on my production desktop.

Downloaded the tool media creation tool from Microsoft.

Told it to upgrade my desktop, opposed to create an ISO. (same process for all the others I've done)

Downloaded the Windows 10 Pro data via the tool.

Started the upgrade process, chose to keep my "Apps and Person Files" and let it begin.

It installed, rebooted a couple times, everything going normally.

It took a little bit longer installing device drivers, but seemed to get through it ok.

It carried my user-name over (non-Microsoft account user, same as all the other machines save for my Surface Pro 3)

I turned off all the creepy telemetry switches and the upgrade completed normally.

I logged in, but it took a long time at the "Preparing Windows" stage.

Once logged in, I was dropped to a black background, explorer had not loaded yet, but I expected it to very soon.

Then I got a few pop up boxes.

We got big error here... Windows 10 Upgrade - Potential Filesystem Corruption :(

<Insert startup program name here> has stopped working...

[Ctrl] + [Shift] + [Esc] = TaskMgr.exe has stopped working...

[Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del] seemed to work ok, but couldn't do anything other than reboot or log out from this point.

Couldn't get a command prompt open, couldn't do much anything at this point, so I rebooted. Nothing changers, same errors.

Rebooted over to ArchLinux to poke around a bit and see if there are any signs of what's gone wrong.

Partition mounted up fine, so no Hiberfil.sys was created, indicating hybrid shutdown didn't occur. Nothing really informative about that other than perhaps Windows hasn't yet fully configured itself so far.

Did a Code: ls -Rlsh /mnt/Windows.old[/quote] All directories other than the /mnt/Windows.old/Windows directory seemed to contain only default files and directories for a fresh windows install, other than my user directory being my user name, but containing the default contents.

Probably part of how the Windows 10 upgrade migrates my "Apps and Personal Files".

/mnt/Windows.old/Windows appears to contain all of it's old Data from Windows 8.1.

Still nothing very informative discovered yet.

Code: ls -Rlsh /mnt/Windows[/quote] That turned up something more informative however...

Windows 10's Windows directory appeared intact and fully populated, but under closer inspection, more than 40,000 files throughout this directory are reparse points. Unfortunately reparse points aren't supported on Linux's NTFS driver implementation.

I discovered a possible point of failure, but could go no further under Linux as I cannot determine where these reparse points lead.

I rebooted to my custom made multi-purpose WindowsPE to try to get further. The repairs-point files appeared to be valid, but before I took a closer look at them I performed a CHKDSK on the partition.

It reported that extended attributes were set on the reparse points, and that this was an error needing to be fixed. I let CHKDSK /F clean this up, and after it reported no errors on the partition.

Rebooting back to Windows 10 still failed in the same way.

I will be posting more info as I dig deeper into this, hopefully uncovering a solution.

If anybody has any information they would like to provide, feel free to.

:)

Hydranix, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Cybot Win User

Getting rid of Windows 10

are you by chance dualtbooting? if so, there is a bug in the NTFS filesystem that has existed since windows 8, that will completely corrupt the filesystem. there is a workaround, but it is far from optimal, as it reduces windows performance. the only way
    to prevent corruption is to turn off fast boot. one of the symptoms during a dualboot scenario, is files going missing and files being corrupted. I personally had a 1tb HDD that was nearly full of data wiped out by this issue. dualbooting will if your not
    extremely careful will cause windows 10 and its filesystem to self destruct. I sh!t you not. see here:

massive filesystem corruption and failure after accessing windows 10 drive from windows 8.1

Cybot, Aug 1, 2015
  3. 6220 classic: Taking pictures corrupts card's filesystem

No, that cannot be the case as it is an "just files" backup, not an image of the entire filesystem. The files are not corrupted - the filesystem is.

kabelgleichung, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Upgrade - Potential Filesystem Corruption

1. Windows 10 Upgrade - Potential Filesystem Corruption - Similar Threads - Upgrade Potential Filesystem

2. Windows "filesystem" error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows "filesystem" error: I have a linux samba shared folder that has a free capacity of ~235gb.Windows cannot move 49gb of files too it because in Microsoft land, 49 > 235.PLEASE make this make sense....
  3. Windows "filesystem" error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows "filesystem" error: I have a linux samba shared folder that has a free capacity of ~235gb.Windows cannot move 49gb of files too it because in Microsoft land, 49 > 235.PLEASE make this make sense....
  4. Windows "filesystem" error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Filesystem corruption on C: drive won't fix on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Filesystem corruption on C: drive won't fix on Windows 10: I've been experiencing this problem in the past few days, where the disk has gotten some form of corruption that causes my PC to act slowly.While troubleshooting, I received a notification to restart and repair drive errors, on which I clicked and my computer was running...
  6. Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive: Hello,I have a Seagate 1TB External SSD. I was copying some files onto it when I bumped the USB cable lose and it interrupted the copy and corrupted the hard drive. It won't recognize on my laptop when I plug it in doesn't show up in the File Explorer, Disk Manager, or Device...
  7. Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436: Hi I'm getting this error and the following doesn't work all of a sudden Start Button doesn't work Windows settings wont open Most items on toolbar won't work Windows +X or Windows +i don't work video files won't open Audio doesn't work I have attempted...
  8. Experienced filesystem corruption. Could adding RAM be the cause?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Experienced filesystem corruption. Could adding RAM be the cause?: All of a sudden I could not boot up my MSI Titan GT80 SLI. The event that happened right before that, I installed RAM, an 8GB DIMM. I powered off the box, inserted the DIMM, powered it back on and it bootlooped. Hit the BCD entry, tried to hit the disk via the BIOS and never...
  9. Bootres.dll is corrupt and potential problems with Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bootres.dll is corrupt and potential problems with Windows 10 update: I have been running Windows 10 on a Kingston SSD for about a year with no major problems. Recently, Windows 10 told me it couldn't boot, the repair doesn't work and the various random instructions on the internet are complicated, generally do not describe what is actually...
  10. Potential installation or upgrade problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Potential installation or upgrade problem: Currently running Windows 8.1 on a 20gb partition. I would like to upgrade to windows 10 when it is released. Question is how? I suspect 20gb isn't enough as 16gb is already taken up by win 8.1. I installed win 8.1 as a clean install then activated with a win 8 key....