Windows 10: Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 OEM; reactivation on a new system

Discus and support Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 OEM; reactivation on a new system in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Greetings! One of my desktops is based on now ancient Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. I'm currently torn between swapping the CPU for used Core 2 Quad (since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tomislav, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Tomislav Win User

Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 OEM; reactivation on a new system

Greetings!

One of my desktops is based on now ancient Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. I'm currently torn between swapping the CPU for used Core 2 Quad (since other components were upgraded during the years and are decent, even by today standards), and buying the brand new motherboard, CPU and RAM, perhaps even GPU; while retaining the present SSD, HDD and other peripherals.

On the system in question, I had Windows 7 OEM (x64) originally installed which I've later upgraded for free to Windows 10. Currently, I'm running the latest version (Creator's Update).

My question is: would it be possible to reactivate Windows 10 on a new system described above given the fact that the original system was OEM version of Windows 7? I'm aware of the fact that OEM license is tied to a motherboard, but I've read somewhere online that with Windows 10 it is possible to link the license with a Microsoft account and to reactivate even the OEM version after the significant hardware change.

Can someone please confirm this so I can easier decide between trying to rejuvenate the old system or basically building the new one?

Thank you kindly for your answer.

:)

Tomislav, Sep 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 activation error after the hardware upgrade

What type of Windows 7 License did you upgrade from, retail or OEM preinstall:

If its retail store bought or was upgraded from a retail Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, you can transfer it.

If its OEM or was upgraded from an OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, you can't transfer it.

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

If you upgraded from a retail Windows 7 license, use your product key to reactivate. You can also use the same service to reactivate Microsoft Office:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Sep 16, 2017
  3. Activated windows 10... then upgraded motherboard and processor.. how to activate again?

this upgrade is not transferable,

generally upgrade versions of windows from the beginning have been transferable

but this time it's locked to the system it was originally installed on just like OEM SLP and OEM System Builder ,

if your system was built with a retail FPP or Upgrade version of win 7 or ape.1

then you can install and reactivate that on the new system,

get the updates and reserve a new copy.

if your prevous system was OEM SLP or System Builder you are hooped,

Locutus deBorg, Sep 16, 2017
  4. Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 OEM; reactivation on a new system

Not sure of the answer to your specific question, but my inclination about your overall situation is that I would get off the Core 2 Quad idea and get on with something in the last generation or two for motherboards and CPU.

Core 2 quads are what, 8 years old?

Unless of course you have major budget issues or unless you have minimal need for the additional features and CPU power available in the last 2 generations. I'll grant you that something like a 2600K was a major workhorse and still suitable for a lot of situations.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 16, 2017
  5. Tomislav Win User
    Thank you for a quick answer.

Unfortunately, money is a bit of a problem, at least at the time being, hence this topic.

The PC in question is not my only system; I have another built for my primary activity: music composition and production. Since this other system cost me pretty much already, I was hoping if I could extend the life of the older one, which I use for everything else. It had served me well during a number of years, but the CPU is now certainly a bottleneck.

But if it's really time to buy a new set of components, it would be certainly helpful if I could reuse the existing Windows license instead of purchasing yet another copy of Windows (currently, I have three separate Windows 10 licenses in my household).

Tomislav, Sep 16, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Sep 16, 2017
  7. Tomislav Win User
    Thank you for posting that article; it explain a lot, but I'm still not sure if it's relevant to my particular situation.

Tomislav, Sep 16, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

It is exactly your situation.

NavyLCDR, Sep 16, 2017
  9. Tomislav Win User
    What I've meant to say earlier, is that this article doesn't specify is the reactivation possible in the case where Windows 10 isn't purchased at the store, but is upgraded from previous version which is an OEM version (Windows 7 Home, in my case). Also, it mentions only the possibility to change the motherboard. What about even more significant hardware change? I was thinking about buying a new CPU which requires a new motherboard and RAM as well. Since the budget is an issue for me at the time being, it would be an inconvenience if I buy new components mentioned while silently hoping that I can reuse one of my present Windows licenses, only to find out in the end that I have to buy a new copy, as the previous one was upgraded from Windows 7 OEM.

Tomislav, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 OEM; reactivation on a new system - Similar Threads - upgraded OEM reactivation

2. Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key: I have a computer that originally had Windows 7 retail installed which was activated from a product key. It was upgraded to windows 10 which if I understand correctly is automatically activated with a digital license during the upgrade.I plan to make a significant hardware...
  3. Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key: I have a computer that originally had Windows 7 retail installed which was activated from a product key. It was upgraded to windows 10 which if I understand correctly is automatically activated with a digital license during the upgrade.I plan to make a significant hardware...
  4. Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7: Hi,I've recently changed the motherboard and CPU of my computer and I'm now being asked to reactivate my account error code 0xC004F211. The problem is that I upgraded from Windows 7 and don't have an activation key for Windows 10. I also didn't have a Microsoft account linked...
  6. Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10 Free Upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10 Free Upgrade: Yes I'm finally considering doing it. I've been hesitant because I have everything exactly how I want it and I know upgrading will change things around a bit (drivers/apps/game versions, etc). Can anyone thoroughly explain how to do this with a Windows 7 OEM key? I've jumped...
  7. Upgrading from Windows 7 OEM to 10

Upgrading from Windows 7 OEM to 10: So I originally had a Windows 7 OEM, but the motherboard it was tied to short circuited and had to be replaced, so now it’s technically not genuine cause of being on a different motherboard. I was gonna upgrade my pc, including the motherboard and was wondering if I could...
  8. Upgrading from Windows 7 + new system HDD

Upgrading from Windows 7 + new system HDD: I have an old windows 7 machine I'd like to upgrade to Win10. The existing SSD is chronically out of space (128G), so I bought a new one (512G) to do a fresh install. I think what I have to do is: Use a different PC for the media creation tool, make a boot USB stick...
  9. Windows 10 reactivation from free upgrade to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reactivation from free upgrade to new PC: Heyall. Says from the title itself. I just bought myself a new pc and I'm trying to transfer my digital license from my old one to this new system. I've read you can transfer the free windows 10 upgrade given a couple of requirements that require me to know what OS version...
  10. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 OEM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 OEM: I have Lenovo x230 with genuine Windows 7. Can I freely upgrade to windows 10? I downloaded windows media creation tool and did direct upgrade to windows 10. My laptop is upgraded to Win 10 but it is not getting activated. Found the following activation issue -...