Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am unable to use the latest upgrades due to lack of storage. My SD drive won't accept the new upgrades. Can I use the Seagate - Expansion 1TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by windy, Nov 3, 2017.

1. windy Win User

Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive

I am unable to use the latest upgrades due to lack of storage. My SD drive won't accept the new upgrades. Can I use
    the Seagate - Expansion 1TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive

to accept the new upgrades?

:)

windy, Nov 3, 2017
  2. mr_reyami Win User

External hard drive is not working after upgrade to Windows 10

Original title: windows 10

Dear Sir

I have upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 I face a problem with my external hard drive it was working perfect on windows 8.1 but after I upgrade to windows 10 the external hard drive is not working it show me the drive for 10 second after that my
    laptop get freeze I have to remove the external hard drive to use my laptop, I hope to find a solution to use my external hard drive from your experience.

Yours

Muataz AL-Reyami

mr_reyami, Nov 3, 2017
  3. Romaneus Win User
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 3, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Actually, plugging in an external drive will do the job as it will use that as temporary space, and even put windows.old on it if necessary.

You do need at least 3.5 GB free on internal drive though.

Of course, running main drive so full can lead to other problems.

cereberus, Nov 3, 2017
  6. windy Win User
    Two questions:
    Are you suggesting that I put windows.old on the external drive?
    What kind of problems might occur on my main drive?; I have about 1. 5 GB remaining

windy, Nov 3, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Well, that's very little unless you only have a 32Gb drive, say (not stated in your specs).

You don't have personal control of Windows.old during the upgrade- creating that version of your Windows folder is part of the process.

You should most certainly seriously review your use of space for simple functional reasons. For example if your paging file is on your SSD, that's usually dynamic and could easily result in your system being significantly slowed.

dalchina, Nov 3, 2017
  8. windy Win User

Also, are you saying I can't add an external drive without 3.5 gb free on the internal drive?

windy, Nov 3, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    Windows will check the system reserved partition MSR and it too needs to have sufficient free space so if you can download and install mini partition wizard and display an image into the thread.

zbook, Nov 3, 2017
  10. windy Win User
    Okay, but what is the minimum sufficient space needed?

windy, Nov 3, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Forgetting any external drive, you should allow about 20Gb free space on your disk for larger disks- or allow, say, the size your Windows folder is + 8Gb free space as a rough guide for the upgrade.

However I suspect your device has a small SSD (See article below).
    Hence see the last URL in my first post.

Allow perhaps 1.5Gb unallocated space should Windows need to create a new Recovery partition (These were under 500Gb, but I've seen some bigger ones).

However for small SSDs note:
    Microsoft cutting space requirements for Windows 10 - ExtremeTech

and generalised comments here:
    Step-by-Step Guide to Reducing Windows 10 On-Disk Footprint

dalchina, Nov 3, 2017
  12. windy Win User
    What are some good ways to create more space on my 29 gb hard drive? i have used System Mechanic, but not sure which programs I can delete otherwise.

windy, Nov 3, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Have you read the two threads in #2?

dalchina, Nov 3, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    In a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) run:

powercfg -h off

That will turn off hibernation and Windows fast startup and delete the system file used for hibernation which might give you some extra space. And the command:

compact /compactos always

Will ensure the OS is installed in the compacted state, and if it is not will get you some extra space.

I have two 32GB eMMC computers, they both have SD Cards inserted that I transfer user data files too. Both of them have over 10GB left in the 32GB eMMC. Also, unallocated space for the recovery partition is not required. No recovery partition at all is required if you don't want it. The "HDD" or "SSD" can have nothing but a System Reserved (or EFI System) partition that it boots from, which does need something like 50MB of free space in the partition itself, and the rest of the drive can be filled to the end with the OS partition and the upgrade will still finish as long as it can update the partition the computer boots from. On many installs the "Recovery Partition" is just a Recovery folder on the root of C: drive.

NavyLCDR, Nov 4, 2017
  15. windy Win User
    I tried both powercfg -h off and powercfg.exe -h off from the Command Prompt (Admin) and neither of them had any effect. Any suggestions to make them work?

windy, Nov 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive - Similar Threads - upgrades using external

2. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive: This morning, Windows 10 updated. Last night, the external hard drive was working.PROBLEM: After the update, I cannot access the external hard drive.I tried other USB ports in the non-working Windows 10 computer. The hard drive is not recognized in any port.I moved the...
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive: This morning, Windows 10 updated. Last night, the external hard drive was working.PROBLEM: After the update, I cannot access the external hard drive.I tried other USB ports in the non-working Windows 10 computer. The hard drive is not recognized in any port.I moved the...
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 using an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 using an external hard drive: I have tried to back up my microsoft surface pro using both a Western Digital Elements 2TB and a Seagate 2TB external hard drive both HDD with usb 3.0. Same problem occurs with both drives that a dialogue message comes up saying the Local Disk does not have enough room to...
  6. Windows 10 using an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 using an external hard drive: I have tried to back up my microsoft surface pro using both a Western Digital Elements 2TB and a Seagate 2TB external hard drive both HDD with usb 3.0. Same problem occurs with both drives that a dialogue message comes up saying the Local Disk does not have enough room to...
  7. Windows 10 using an external hard drive

8. Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive: So I thought I should update my old Windows 10 computer before I used some heavy applications on it. I didn't have the disk space on the internal hard drive for the update so I used an external hard drive. While the update was happening it was suck on 0% in terms of updating...
  9. Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

Using a flash-drive or external hard drive: Recently every time I try to use a flash-drive or an external hard drive, I get this message. I don't have a problem using the logitech wireless adaptor for my mouse/keyboard but when I insert a flash-drive or external hard drive this pops up. [ATTACH]...
  10. Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 on an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 on an external hard drive?: I have a "Windows To Go" hard drive (in other words, a Windows 10 Pro installion that is installed directly into an external USB hard drive), and I want to upgrade from version 1803 (RS4) to version 1809 (RS5). But when I try to update it says that I can't upgrade/install...