Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrading tips

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrading tips in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 upgrading tips I don't think anyone really tested upgrading. I finally got windows 7 to upgrade. Windows 10 has to have an available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by groze, Mar 29, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Windows 10 upgrading tips

I don't think anyone really tested upgrading. I finally got windows 7 to upgrade.
    Windows 10 has to have an available partition for the system reserve for upgrading at least 450 MB or a current system reserve partition already installed.

It seems that windows 10 requires the previous operating system to be installed on first partition, still testing that method out, which may cause problem with some OEM partitions.

Don't upgrade from a usb stick, that could also be an issue with windows 10 as well. I made another partition, copied the windows 10 install files from there, then did the upgrade from that folder. Windows created a system reserve partition. If you already have a system reserve, I think windows 10 will use that instead but increase the size to 450 mb if you can.

:)

groze, Mar 29, 2015

2. Upgrading Windows 10 fails..any tips?

I have tried several times to update security software on my Acer Aspire XC-704 running win10 V10240. I apparently need V15063. When I try to upgrade Win 10 to latest version it seems to download and verify but always fails at about 70% of update saying...Something
    went wrong... error code last time was 0xc1900107 (not very helpful) any ideas

VictorMower, Mar 29, 2015
  3. Tips for upgrading windows 10

I have been relentlessly looking for the compatibility test for windows 10 but this is a suggestion for people with windows 7 pc to upgrade to windows 10

I know this is the windows 8 upgrade assistant which seems to me that it is the upgrade with the upscale of windows 8.1 and if your pc is compatible to runs windows 8 can possibly run windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgra

and if you need a disc or usb thumb drive to use to upgrade window 10 and also as a back up in case you need to restore back to the original beginning upgrade after installation and here is the site:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/w

and most important of all, rememberback up all your data
    which can be documents and files and pictures and music and any other you might want to back up and also just in case have your installation code in case you have to re-install any application that may not work at first once windows 10 is running

RixchtSeventy, Mar 29, 2015
  4. Windows 10 upgrading tips

As a test, I did an inplace-upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10TP when it first came out -- and it did not create any new partitions. It saved the Win8 stuff off into a windows.old folder, which I eventually removed.

But that upgrade eventually had so many problems that I scrapped it and did a clean install of Win10TP with one of the later builds. So, I don't have that around to experiment with it anymore.

Mark Phelps, Mar 29, 2015
  5. groze Win User
    @Mark Phelps

That is alright no need to test.

All,

When I did a clean install of windows 7 , I did it so windows 7 wouldn't create the system reserve partition. I forgot to mentioned I upgraded form windows 7 64 bit version to windows 10 64 bit version.

This is a non-gpt disk.

Here is what I did
    Download windows 10 preview 64 bit
    Create bootable iso image using windows 7 dvd/usb creator program.
    Shrunk windows 7 partition using windows 10 disk manager
    Created a new ntfs partition windows 10 disk manager.
    Created a install folder on new ntfs partition.
    Copied the install files from the usb drive to the install folder
    Removed USB drives
    Rebooted
    I didn't disable MSE
    Keep it connected to the internet
    Started setup from the folder on the new ntfs partition
    It upgraded without issues but I had to download a new graphics driver from the internet via driver update.
    Windows 10 upgrade created a system reserve partition.

groze, Mar 29, 2015
  6. groze Win User
    Haven't tried to see if I could do a clean install of windows 7 on partition 3. Which might be a possibile. I am not sure if I want to go to the much work tell I know for sure Microsoft life cycle policy and whether or not windows will become subscription based. If the Os becomes subscription based, Microsoft and their oems can forgot me as a customer. Also, locking the computer to one operating will be an issue with me. I would possibly want to dual boot with windows 7.

I did another non upgrade testing, if done right it does do a clean install on partition 2 and for some reason no system reserve partition was created. This was from a usb stick. Installed Windows 10 64 bit.

groze, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrading tips - Similar Threads - upgrading tips

2. Windows 11 inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 inplace upgrade: I'm attempting an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 using an SCCM Task Sequence. However, during the process, when the Task Sequence restarts the laptop for the first step, it fails at the 'Running action: Partition Disk 0 UEFI' step. The laptop model is an HP...
  3. Windows 11 inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 inplace upgrade: I'm attempting an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 using an SCCM Task Sequence. However, during the process, when the Task Sequence restarts the laptop for the first step, it fails at the 'Running action: Partition Disk 0 UEFI' step. The laptop model is an HP...
  4. Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11: I am wanting to confirm cost of upgrade? 99.00 I believe. Do I get my VA discount on this type of purchase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-home-11-to-windows-pro-11/dffb4837-9c4a-4427-bdec-f546a89619bd
  5. Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11

Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11: I am wanting to confirm cost of upgrade? 99.00 I believe. Do I get my VA discount on this type of purchase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-home-11-to-windows-pro-11/dffb4837-9c4a-4427-bdec-f546a89619bd
  6. Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again: Hi so i just tried upgrading my windows 7 laptop to windows 10 and after it finish's the upgrade it just shows the crash screen and sets back windows 7 again the crash screen said "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" how to fix it?...
  7. Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again

Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again: Hi so i just tried upgrading my windows 7 laptop to windows 10 and after it finish's the upgrade it just shows the crash screen and sets back windows 7 again the crash screen said "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" how to fix it?...
  8. What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.

What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.: I am setting up a new desktop and on my current desktop I already have a Windows 11 Home license installed and running.I want to upgrade my existing desktop to Windows 11 Pro and relocate the Windows 11 Home license onto the new desktop that is being built.A few questions...
  9. Planning on upgrading hard drive from HDD to SSHD, any tips?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Planning on upgrading hard drive from HDD to SSHD, any tips?: Since the holiday season is here, I thought it would be a good idea to spend some money on upgrading my PC. One of the things I'm thinking of upgrading is the hard drive. It's a 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD that I've had ever since I bought my system it came in with. When it comes to...
  10. Woody sez "Newly released KB 3197954 tips scales in favor of upgrade"

in Windows 10 News
    Woody sez "Newly released KB 3197954 tips scales in favor of upgrade": This just in from Windows ace Woody Leonhard at InfoWorld: It took nine cumulative updates and more than 12 weeks, but the latest version of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update seems good to go. I've converted my production Win10 Fall Update (version 1511) systems to...