Windows 10: Windows 10 - USB Port not proving enough power

Discus and support Windows 10 - USB Port not proving enough power in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All, I have a problem using my USB port when connecting an external 2,5" USB self powered hard drive. Can you help me ? I'm using a fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Shine75, May 27, 2020.

1. Shine75 Win User

Windows 10 - USB Port not proving enough power

Hi All,

I have a problem using my USB port when connecting an external 2,5" USB self powered hard drive. Can you help me ?

I'm using a fresh Windows 10 1909 x64 up to date, with all the manufacturer drivers installed, drivers who have nothing specially related to USB, except perhaps the AMD Chipset Driver but I don't know if it acts on this the motherboard is an MSI B450M Mortar Max.

The problem is that when I connect some hard drives on an USB port, either a front port, a back port, an USB 2.0, 3.0 or a 3.1 one, with its short USB 3.0 cable :

- sometime not often the hard drive mounts and work flawlessly

- but the vast majority of time, it powers up, seems to have some difficulties with the power I mean the LED does not blink but I can hear the disk head doing strange things, and it does not shows up into the explorer. In the hard drive manager, it is not present

This happens with branded-cased-allinone hard drives as well with self-made case hard drives, and also with some USB flash drives. Curiously other same kind of USB flash drives I have in double or triple same model-capacity-andall works fine.

Everything is new except the hard drives but they were very lightly used, I have a 300W Gold power supply used at 120W at max on idle and 150W at full load.

I've tested many things, including trying to force an update of the USB drivers through the device manager but they were up to date, disabling the Power suspend of the USB ports, and many other things.

In contrast, when testing all of this using a Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE x64, and I have absolutely no problem at all. Never.

That leads me to the conclusion that it's not a harware related problem.

:)

Shine75, May 27, 2020

2. Windows updates - USB Port not proving enough power

Hi All

All my USB port were working just fine until the last Windows update, 03/12. I have a 4 port USB hub plugged in to one of the USB ports on my PC and every time I add a USB thumb drive I get a message saying "USB Port not proving enough power".

I have gone in to device managed and uncheck "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" on all my USB Root Hubs and generic USB hubs.

Is anyone else experiencing this since the last Windows update? Or is it just a coincidence?

Could is be I am having power supply issues? If so, how could I check the power supply?

Thanks in advance.

Ewan.

Ewan.Brown, May 27, 2020
  3. Nick Dich Win User
    Power Surge on the USB port?

Hi Bob,

When a user tried uninstalling the USB drivers, it usually installs itself again when the computer restarts. It is a fact that most of the Mouse and Keyboard nowadays are connected using USB connection instead of their traditional PS/2 port. We suggest that
    you visit the link provided and follow the steps provided:
    USB has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of it's hub Port , you should disconnect the device

Kindly let us know if you need further assistance.

Nick Dich, May 27, 2020
  4. Windows 10 - USB Port not proving enough power

Windows updates - USB Port not proving enough power

Is your 4 port USB Hub a Powered one? Meaning it has an A/C plug to obtain and provide its own power? If not you probably need to get one.

Another factor could be not all the ports on your computer are powered the same as often only one or two are of a higher power. Try using other ports on the computer to plug that hub in.

Best to just use powered hubs.

SpiritX MS MVP, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - USB Port not proving enough power

1. Windows 10 - USB Port not proving enough power - Similar Threads - USB Port proving

2. one of my usb ports not working not enough power getting to port. windows 10 pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one of my usb ports not working not enough power getting to port. windows 10 pc.: One of my USB ports on windows 10 pc not working, getting error message power surge, not enough power getting to port.any help appreciated its a HP all in one pc 12 months old.thanks in advance. Jim....
  3. one of my usb ports not working not enough power getting to port. windows 10 pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    one of my usb ports not working not enough power getting to port. windows 10 pc.: One of my USB ports on windows 10 pc not working, getting error message power surge, not enough power getting to port.any help appreciated its a HP all in one pc 12 months old.thanks in advance. Jim....
  4. one of my usb ports not working not enough power getting to port. windows 10 pc.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB ports not providing enough power

USB ports not providing enough power: I got ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming - ITX/acIntel i5 9600K 6x CPU @ 3.70 GHz UHD Graphics 630 Coffee Lake No HyperThreadI connect Bosch mini to charge it.On Linux there is no problem charging it.On Windows It won't charge.Is there some power setting in the USB driver?...
  6. USB Port Not Enough Resources message with 2004?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Port Not Enough Resources message with 2004?: I just recently upgraded to 2004 from 1903. Sometimes when I plug in my USB C earbuds I get a warning message saying the USB device does not have enough resources. I've looked and it seems this happens when too many USB devices are connected. However the earbuds are the only...
  7. Power Surge on the USB port.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power Surge on the USB port.: Help, when I plug in a USB on my laptop, the power surge thong pops up every time. I tried all of the videos suggestions and I’m out of ideas. Could someone help me. submitted by /u/kylerc734 [link] [comments]...
  8. Power surge on the USB port

Power surge on the USB port: Hi All, I just upgraded my computer case to a full tower. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P_BK. Since I did that when I cold boot my computer I get the error pop on the screen: " Power surge on the USB port Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can...
  9. power to usb ports

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power to usb ports: Hello — I am having a issue with the usb drives connected to my laptop. It seems that in the quest to save power, the computer limits power to the usb ports. Im my case, both usb drives are self powered – ie they use AC power. When I turn on my laptop at the start of the...
  10. power surge on the USB port - windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power surge on the USB port - windows 10: Can't seem to get this fixed. Please advise. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/power-surge-on-the-usb-port-windows-10/a0874152-d63f-4115-9f19-4e15eef07946