Windows 10: windows 10 "use express settings" is only option offered at 1st boot

Discus and support windows 10 "use express settings" is only option offered at 1st boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Upgrading my wife's Win7 laptop, but the initial startup screen only displays "use express settings" as the only option. There is no "Customize... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by robert70005, Jan 5, 2016.

1. windows 10 "use express settings" is only option offered at 1st boot

Upgrading my wife's Win7 laptop, but the initial startup screen only displays "use express settings" as the only option. There is no "Customize Settings" option on that first screen. I know I can allow Express Settings and then go back in and change all of the many settings that I would be uncomfortable with (of which there are many) but I really dislike that option.

:)

robert70005, Jan 5, 2016

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Jan 5, 2016
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Jan 5, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

windows 10 "use express settings" is only option offered at 1st boot

Brink, Jan 5, 2016
  5. Yes I know that is what is supposed to be displayed, but it doesn't. It only says "Welcome to Windows 10" and the Use Express Settings button. Nothing else (other than an option to select some other language than English and to verify the user account.)

robert70005, Jan 5, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I wonder if you are lacking an administrator account? What administrator accounts were there on Windows 7 you are upgrading from?

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2016
  7. I can't imagine why that would be required, but this is my wife's laptop and is the sole user, and I'm pretty sure I set her up originally as an Administrator. Incidentally, I'm a Project Manager these days, but I'm a MS MCP on Windows NT and 2000. Just the first time I did the Windows 10 upgrade (at my wife's behest.)

robert70005, Jan 5, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Was there an option at 1st boot as to whether the PC was for personal use or work (some question like that, can't remember exactly how it is worded). Basically, that question determines whether the PC is expected be part of a home workgroup or a domain. If I remember correctly the default choice was work and maybe expecting the computer to join a domain and be controlled by group policy might affect the lack of customize option.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2016
  9. I believe you are referring to are the options you get when you select a different network or access point.

robert70005, Jan 5, 2016
  10. In any case this is only on a home workgroup. Not a domain.

robert70005, Jan 5, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    How about upgrading Home version or Pro version? If you are upgrading Pro version could some or all of those options have been set by group policy previously?

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Will I can't think of anything else that would trigger the Customize option to disappear.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2016
  13. windows 10 "use express settings" is only option offered at 1st boot

Thanks anyway. Point is moot at this point anyway I guess since there isn't an opportunity to do anything else on the screen.

robert70005, Jan 5, 2016
  14. lx07 Win User
    You could have a look and see if you have a file called <something>.xml on the root of any of your drives.

It doesn't really matter (as you can set all your settings after) but the only reason I can think of is you might have some answer file lurking around.

15. SOLVED! I clicked on the "Not SUSAN" (my wife's account, which is where I originally launched the upgrade from) and it went to the screen at the top of this post that allowed the Custom options. Why it would not launch that screen to begin with I cannot imagine, especially since Microsoft.com 's Windows 10 Help only shows that screen as what you should see. Anyway, thanks to you all for trying to help.

robert70005, Jan 5, 2016
Thema:

1. windows 10 "use express settings" is only option offered at 1st boot - Similar Threads - express settings option

2. I installed a new ssd m.2 and it will not boot when set as the 1st boot option .. plus in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed a new ssd m.2 and it will not boot when set as the 1st boot option .. plus in...: Installed a new ssd m.2 and it will not boot when as as boot 1 .. also has no option for windows boot managee in the bios under boot 1 .. what could the issue be...
  3. I installed a new ssd m.2 and it will not boot when set as the 1st boot option .. plus in...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I installed a new ssd m.2 and it will not boot when set as the 1st boot option .. plus in...: Installed a new ssd m.2 and it will not boot when as as boot 1 .. also has no option for windows boot managee in the bios under boot 1 .. what could the issue be...
  4. I installed a new ssd m.2 and it will not boot when set as the 1st boot option .. plus in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. selecting 1st boot in bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    selecting 1st boot in bios: Hi guys, I have just successfully cloned my laptop hhd to ssd with Macrium , which advises that to boot from the ssd requires making the nessessary selection in the bios. I have opened the bios which is recognising the ssd and in the boot column I have the new drive as no 1,...
  6. Windows 10 to offer Paint and WordPad as optional features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 to offer Paint and WordPad as optional features: Windows 10 20H1, also known as version 2004, will introduce multiple new features and under the hood improvements to the operating system. Windows 10 version 2004 also includes a new Optional features settings page and two important tools—Paint and WordPad are now optional....
  7. Bootloop on Express settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bootloop on Express settings: I used a website to get a new windows 10 for my new computer which already had one but was in chinese. It was a xiaomi gaming computer. When i click next or use express settings it makes me restart. I didnt use a usb nor a cd but a website so please help....
  8. Why is Edge only offering google.fr as an option, not google.co.uk?

in Browsers and Email
    Why is Edge only offering google.fr as an option, not google.co.uk?: Hi, I've just installed windows 10 which all seems to have gone very well. The only problem I can't currently fix is that google seems to think I am in France! When I go to Edge/Settings/Advanced settings/search in the address bar with the only options I get are bing.com...
  9. WiFi not working of 1st boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working of 1st boot: I have quite a few questions, but I will start with this one: When I boot up I cannot get connected to my WiFi. The only way to get it to work is to shutdown and boot up again, then all is well. I never had this problem until Win 10 upgrade. Any ideas? 26804
  10. Windows 10 won't boot after using 'Upgrade only' option.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't boot after using 'Upgrade only' option.: Hey guys, I just wanted to share my solution to a problem I had, just in case somebody else had the same as I couldn't find this solution anywhere. So, the problem was, I downloaded the media creation tool and selected the upgrade only option. It all downloaded fine and...