Windows 10: Windows 10 User Credentials asked for during file share between PCs on same network.

Discus and support Windows 10 User Credentials asked for during file share between PCs on same network. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently did a full format on an old PC in my house, I use file share between all my sub PCs and my main PC. However after I configured all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Grimfalsehood, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Windows 10 User Credentials asked for during file share between PCs on same network.

I recently did a full format on an old PC in my house, I use file share between all my sub PCs and my main PC. However after I configured all the settings like I did every time before now it keeps asking me for user credentials to share files between PCs even though I have password protected sharing turned off. I am sure its something simple that I missed but any help would be great.

These are the steps I was given from Microsoft Support.

Windows 10 no longer supports Home Group, but there's another way to set up File sharing which is called "Network Sharing" and here you have the steps on how to do it:

I. Open the services application on the PC and start & enable the following:

a. Function Discovery Provider Host FDPHost?
    b. Function Resource Publication FDResPub?
    c. Network Connections NetMan? Network list service
    d. SSDP Discovery SSDPSRV?
    e. UPnP Device Host UPnPHost?
    f. Peer Name Resolution Protocol PNRPSvc?
    g. Peer Networking Grouping P2PSvc?
    h. Peer Networking Identity Manager P2PIMSvc?

II. Navigate to Control Panel> Network & Internet> Network & Sharing center> Advanced sharing settings> Make sure that all the sharing options are turned on.

III. Make sure both PCs are connected to the same router.

:)

Grimfalsehood, Mar 2, 2020
  2. Bentley12 Win User

Batch File to list files from two seperat networks

Hello,

I work in a factory where multiple PCs are on seperate VLANs. I need to view contents of a directory from one VLAN called "Admin" and compare it with individual directories from multiple PCs on another VLAN called "Shop" ("Shop" is not part of the Domain)

I have created a VB script that will compare two txt files and report the diffences. So I am trying to create two text files from each VLAN using a batch file. The batch file will be ran from a PC with two network cards so it can see both VLANs.

I can easily create the list from the "Admin" network using:
    dir /b \\Server\Share\ > Active.txt

The "Shop" list is different. It needs a username and password. All Shop PCs have the same user name and password but I'm not sure how to structure the script to create a list from multiple PCs using a user name and password.
    If I open the folders from Windows and enter the credentials then a script like this will work:
    dir /b \\PC_Name1\Share > Programs.txt
    dir /b \\PC_Name2\Share >> Programs.txt

Using the command above without first opening the folder and entering the credentials gives this error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bentley12, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Hi Steve,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after an update, you get a prompt to enter network credentials to access files over network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, if you have never used credentials to access files over network, you may want to check the network settings and see if Password protected sharing is turned off. To do this, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to control panel > Click on
      network and internet >
      Click on network and sharing.
    2. Click on Change advance sharing settings
      on the left pane.
    3. Turn off password protected sharing.
    4. Click on Save changes

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Windows 10 User Credentials asked for during file share between PCs on same network.

File Sharing and Network Credentials

File Sharing

I've read dozens of questions and answers on this topic and I still can't figure out how to fix my problem. I have two Windows 10 PCs connected to my home wifi network. I want to be able to use PC1 to see and use files on the hard drive of PC2. It seems
    like it should be a simple matter of using the correct network and sharing settings, but it just doesn't work. I have no homegroup set up. On both PCs I have the following Advanced Sharing Settings:

Private (Current Profile):

Network Discovery ON

Automatic Setup of Network Connected Devices CHECKED

File and Printer Sharing ON

Allow Windows to Manage Homegroup Connections CHECKED

Guest of Public:

Network Discovery OFF

File and Printer Sharing OFF

All Networks:

Public Folder Sharing OFF

Media Streaming OFF

USE 128-Bit Encryption CHECKED

Password Protected Sharing OFF

When I try to use File Explorer to look at the files of either PC from the other, I receive a window requesting Network Credentials--a username and password. I have no idea what it wants. I want to do this without requiring any passwords. But, I wouldn't
    mind so much if I had to enter credentials--I just have no idea what they are or how to set/change them. I've read several answers to similar questions in this forum that equate Network Credentials with WiFi log in information, which makes no sense to me.
    I've tried using my Microsoft account log in information, which doesn't work. This is incredibly frustrating. All I want to do is access one PC from the other over a private home WiFi. Could anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong here? I'm glad to provide any
    other information I have that you might need to help.

dkbarnes01, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 User Credentials asked for during file share between PCs on same network.

1. Windows 10 User Credentials asked for during file share between PCs on same network. - Similar Threads - User Credentials asked

2. File Share on networked PC asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Share on networked PC asks for credentials: I can access shared folders from Windows 10, but it requires credentials. I have password protection turned off, so I don't know why it's asking for this. I entered credentials that I happen to remember, and I'm able to sign in. Where are these credentials, and why is it...
  3. File Share on networked PC asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Share on networked PC asks for credentials: I can access shared folders from Windows 10, but it requires credentials. I have password protection turned off, so I don't know why it's asking for this. I entered credentials that I happen to remember, and I'm able to sign in. Where are these credentials, and why is it...
  4. File Share on networked PC asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?: I want to move files from my laptop to my desktop via wi-fi or Bluetooth. I have been using a USB thumb drive but thought I would try a different approach....
  6. Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?: I want to move files from my laptop to my desktop via wi-fi or Bluetooth. I have been using a USB thumb drive but thought I would try a different approach....
  7. Folder sharing between two pcs on same network

Folder sharing between two pcs on same network: Hi, This may be a stupid question to ask my apologise if so. I know how to share one folder between two computers what I do not know if there is a way to share more than one folder to the same mapped drive? For example share Documents and Pictures in the same mapped drive...
  8. File sharing between Windows 10 PCs

File sharing between Windows 10 PCs: Used to be able to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 7 PC, but it doesn't work now that I upgraded the Windows 7 to Windows 10. Tried to share the Users folder with Everybody, but got a message that the files could not be shared. How do I fix?...
  9. File sharing between Windows 10 PCs

File sharing between Windows 10 PCs: Once again a Windows 10 update has shut down our private network file sharing on my wife's and my two Windows 10 computers. This happens every time there is a large update, but I don't remember the fix. We both keep some accounting files on each of our two office computers...
  10. Network sharing asking for network credentials

Network sharing asking for network credentials: I am trying to connect to other pc's on my home network and have turned off password protected sharing. I can see the other computer in file explorer, but when I click on it I am asked for "Network Credentials". I have entered the Microsoft username and password and the...