Windows 10: Windows 10 User folder taking up 100GB+

Discus and support Windows 10 User folder taking up 100GB+ in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So I was looking at the drive I use to store windows on, in my case I have it stored on a 500GB Samsung SSD, and I was trying to clear out space for... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Randomaccount, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Windows 10 User folder taking up 100GB+

So I was looking at the drive I use to store windows on, in my case I have it stored on a 500GB Samsung SSD, and I was trying to clear out space for potentially installing my main games on it. I then located the user's folder which to my surprise I found that after clicking on properties of the main user account that I'm on, it was taking up 130 GB worth of space; at first, I thought "Oh maybe I just have a game that I accidentally installed on here", but after going into the folder and highlighting everything in it, I found that once clicking on properties all the files inside the folder only added up to 23 GB. I'm not sure if it's just a case where all the files that are shown once clicking into the users folders aren't all the files that are actually stored in there or what, but from what I hear, even 40gb User pages is apparently a lot.

Edit: I've also looked in my Appdata folder, but even then only 60 GB, + the 20 GB would only mean 80GB, so I'm not sure where the rest is from.

:)

Randomaccount, Apr 26, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 26, 2021
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Apr 26, 2021
  4. Windows 10 User folder taking up 100GB+

Error Access Denied while acessing the folders from User> AppData folders on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with access files and folders.

Do let us know the complete error code/ error message of this issue?

As you have tried with providing the permissions to each folder and issue persists after the restart, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to disable the third party anti-virus software if installed any and check.

Step 2: As, as a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account and check if this issue persists.

Steps to enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
       4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article with 3-diffrent issues related to accessing the files and folders and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 26, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 User folder taking up 100GB+

1. Windows 10 User folder taking up 100GB+ - Similar Threads - User folder taking

2. Windows 10 taking > 100gb disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 taking > 100gb disk space: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/InsulineDion [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/knbw5t/windows_10_taking_100gb_disk_space/
  3. Hidden App Taking Up Over 100GB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden App Taking Up Over 100GB: I believe the problem has something to do with a game that was installed through the xbox app in windows 10, Halo Master Chief Collection. I tried moving the app to an external hard drive to recover storage space but after transferring and uninstalling the app my storage is...
  4. Windows 10 Cache folder with 100gb

Windows 10 Cache folder with 100gb: I have a Cache Folder that just go bigger and bigger and I want to know if and how I can clear it. Normal Windows Clean Up dosent work.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cache-folder-with-100gb/17245522-c205-4cda-9541-0c6619e521fa
  5. Apps & Features taking up 100GB of Disk Space

Apps & Features taking up 100GB of Disk Space: Hi Microsoft Community, I have a Surface Laptop that has 120 GB of disk space, and of late notice that Apps & Features has taken up about 100GB of my disk space. When referring to it through Systems/Storage - it shows that App & Features has taken up 100GB, but in...
  6. User folder seems to be taking up a lot of space

User folder seems to be taking up a lot of space: I have a 128 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD but the SSD is full, even though all of my photos and videos and documents are on the HDD. I downloaded TreeSize Free and it shows that there are 66.9 GB or so in my user folder. How can I free up some of this space?[ATTACH]...
  7. C:\Users file is over 100GB

C:\Users file is over 100GB: Hi, I was wondering if it was normal for my C:\Users file to be 107GB. I'm not exactly sure how to clean it out or what to delete. Was simply looking for pointers to get started. Everything just seems to be a shortcut to another location file location. I'm not exactly sure...
  8. Microsoft Money plus taking more than 100gb ? how to clean up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Money plus taking more than 100gb ? how to clean up: Microsoft Money plus taking more than 100gb ? how to clean up and solve this issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-money-plus-taking-more-than-100gb-how-to/4488296c-d476-440e-9c5b-09a455e9cd06
  9. "Users" folder taking up large amounts of disk space!

"Users" folder taking up large amounts of disk space!: I have a 512GB SSD and I went to delete some file as I have ~40GB left and realized that the "Users" folder was taking up over 300GB of disk space! I went through the folder and nothing using that much space showed up... How do I fix this? I really need space as I am a video...
  10. System & reserved taking up over 100GB of space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System & reserved taking up over 100GB of space: My computer was warning me about having limited space left, so I checked what was taking up space on my PC and saw this [img] I saw somebody recommend TreeSize to look into what was taking up space and saw this [img] The installer folder and srudb.dat are taking up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Users folder taking up space Windows 10