Windows 10: Windows 10 user profile folder in C:\users disappeared

Discus and support Windows 10 user profile folder in C:\users disappeared in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I tried to sign in to my local admin account and Windows loaded a temporary user instead of my user. I then tried to locate my user folder in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Francis Lapointe, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Windows 10 user profile folder in C:\users disappeared

Hi,

I tried to sign in to my local admin account and Windows loaded a temporary user instead of my user. I then tried to locate my user folder in C:\users but it's not showing there even with the hidden files view enabled.

I can see in the registry my profile path and it's fine, but it seems like it's the user folder that was deleted. I also looked in the event viewer for the event id 4726 but there was nothing.

I only have one other profile on this computer which I use for work and I had to use MDM. The company I work for said they did not enable remote wipe or anything as they only use it to make sure the PC is compliant.

What are your thoughts on this? Could it be an update? Or MDM? Any places I did not look where I could get my files back?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Francis Lapointe, Apr 10, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

User Profile Service failed

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Copy the Default folder (in C:\Users) from another windows 10 computer.
    • Rename the Default folder to something like DefaultOLD (just to keep it for safety reasons).
    • Paste it in your Users folder.
    • To make sure that you won't have problems with permissions of the "implant" folder, just transfer it via a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB stick (those filesystems don't have permissions).

This will provide solution to the error User Profile Service failed.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Apr 10, 2020
  3. silkstone Win User
    Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

Windows 10 user profile folder in C:\users disappeared upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Windows 10 user profile folder in C:\users disappeared

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Thema:

Windows 10 user profile folder in C:\users disappeared

1. Windows 10 user profile folder in C:\users disappeared - Similar Threads - user profile folder

2. User Profile Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Folders: In Windows 11, some folders like Documents, 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, One Drive, Pictures are understood in the user profile, but apart from this there are some folders whose functions and usages are not understood like - Favorites, Links, Music, Saved Games,...
  3. User Profile Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Folders: In Windows 11, some folders like Documents, 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, One Drive, Pictures are understood in the user profile, but apart from this there are some folders whose functions and usages are not understood like - Favorites, Links, Music, Saved Games,...
  4. Users folder and Profile folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Users folder and Profile folder: Hello,What are the advantages and disadvantages of deleting the Users main folder and User Folder?I have heard that it will delete viruses or that kind of things!Sorry if it sounds a dumb questionGreetings...
  5. Users folder and Profile folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users folder and Profile folder: Hello,What are the advantages and disadvantages of deleting the Users main folder and User Folder?I have heard that it will delete viruses or that kind of things!Sorry if it sounds a dumb questionGreetings...
  6. Users folder and Profile folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Move my c:/Users/{profile} to the D:/users/{profile}

Move my c:/Users/{profile} to the D:/users/{profile}: I have an SSD as the C: drive. and a large HDD as the D: drive. Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 I want to keep the stuff I do not use all the time off the SSD drive. I have two users Admin and {J} account. I want to move the working data for the {j} account to...
  8. User Folder DISAPPEARED Windows 10

User Folder DISAPPEARED Windows 10: It happened when I was adding a new folder to quick access. My user folder was also there. To clarify, I'm talking about the one with my username. My user folder disappeared not only from quick access and can't be re-added, but it also disappeared from the users folder. Now,...
  9. Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?: Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is...
  10. Restore Users Profiles back to C:\Users without data folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restore Users Profiles back to C:\Users without data folders: I don't remember when, but I availed myself of the free Windows 10 upgrade sometime back. I was using 8.1 and I had, at some point, moved C:\Users and all its associated folders to E:. Everything has worked fine and Win10 didn't have a problem. I did notice that there was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 rename user folder