Windows 10: Windows 10 User Profiles on different encrypted Partition

Discus and support Windows 10 User Profiles on different encrypted Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey everyone First of all I want to thank Kari for this (Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) tutorial and at the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NonameFTW, Sep 29, 2016.

1. NonameFTW Win User

Windows 10 User Profiles on different encrypted Partition

Hey everyone

First of all I want to thank Kari for this (Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) tutorial and at the same time curse at him/her making me have to deal with this broken ass Operating System Windows 10. Windows 10 User Profiles on different encrypted Partition :p

The tutorial is the reason I wanted to give Windows 10 another try after I had to remove my previous windows 7.

I generally use Truecrypt to encrypt all drives of my Desktop PC and relocate all typical user folders to a different partition. There is no issue with this on Windows 7 but Windows 10 won't have it. I followed the tutorial and got to the point that I had working an unencrypted Windows 10 installation with the user profiles on the D: Partition. All fine and dandy. Now I already guessed at the time that encrypting the D: drive won't be a fun experience. Luckily Truecrypt is strong enough to just rip away Windows control of the drive and began to encrypt it. That made Windows 10 cry like a baby without its pacifier but at least it didn't crash and Truecrypt was able to finish.
    I could go into details on what sorcery I tried after that to restore order in the partition letters but the short version is that I was able to get my setup running but I still got the same error (start menu wouldn't open up) I would get if I wouldn't have followed the tutorial at all and just moved the folders manually after installing (Once you move the local folder your account is bricked). But even after creating a new User account the problem persisted which wasn't the case with the normal procedure without the tutorial.

So now after reinstalling I tried to encrypt everything (using veracrypt this time) in Audit mode which to my surprise worked pretty well until I ran sysprep. That failed and now I am sitting at the language selection of the installation pondering if I should invest any more time in this schizophrenic Operating System.

Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro N (x64)

Bitlocker isn't an option because
    1. That shit most likely has more backdoors than a Shoppingmall
    2. Afaik you can't encrypt with a password. Only with TPM or a dongle which isn't really an option.

Question here is if anyone has any Idea how I could make this work.

:)

NonameFTW, Sep 29, 2016
  2. saberman2 Win User

I Was Excited About Cortana Until I Got It And Read The Ready To Get Started Information

But the only way to enable encryption is:

Device encryption is not enabled by default. Device encryption is automatically enabled in the following scenarios:

• The user adds an Outlook account to the phone, and the Microsoft Exchange server that it connects to is configured to require device encryption.

• The user connects the phone to a company apps account, and the enterprise device management server for the account pushes down a policy to the phone that requires device encryption.
    And:

Unlike BitLocker for desktop Windows, there is no recovery key backup and no UI option for end users to enable or disable device encryption on Windows Phones.

So if you have a personal Windows Phone there isn't anyway to enable encryption.

It should also be noted that where the phone is encrypted the user does not control the password.

This might also be of interest:

When device encryption is enabled, the main OS and internal user data store partitions are encrypted. SD cards that are inserted in the phone are not encrypted. For more information about partitions, see
    Partition layout. You must be a registered OEM to get access to the Partition layout. So the user has no way of knowing what is encrypted
    and what isn't.

BTW, Secure Boot is seperate from encrypting user data.

saberman2, Sep 29, 2016
  3. Locked out of windows 10 after encrypting drive

Encryption should be used for data partitions only, not for partitions where profile folders reside. You probably need to do this:

• Remove the disk from the PC.
    • Connect it to some other PC.
    • Decrypt the encrypted partition.

Frederik Long, Sep 29, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Don't know about backdoors but bitlocker definitely does let you use a password without TPM or a dongle. I use it like that. Just turn of "TPM required" in group policy.

Don't know anything about TrueCrypt though, sorry.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 User Profiles on different encrypted Partition - Similar Threads - User Profiles different

2. Different User Notifications on my Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different User Notifications on my Profile: Since moving in with my partner and putting her account on my PC, I have had the inconvenience of her FB messenger notifications playing sound when she is signed in but I am working on my profile. I can't seem to find any settings to disable this, and it is a pain to have her...
  3. Different User Notifications on my Profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different User Notifications on my Profile: Since moving in with my partner and putting her account on my PC, I have had the inconvenience of her FB messenger notifications playing sound when she is signed in but I am working on my profile. I can't seem to find any settings to disable this, and it is a pain to have her...
  4. Different User Notifications on my Profile

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Using controllers on different windows user profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using controllers on different windows user profiles: Hello all,I'm having a slight issue with connecting and using my DS4 controller to a Windows 10 PC. On my main windows user profile, DS4windows and Inputmapper detect the controller and I can use it in games. However, on another user profile with the same privileges and...
  6. Using controllers on different windows user profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using controllers on different windows user profiles: Hello all,I'm having a slight issue with connecting and using my DS4 controller to a Windows 10 PC. On my main windows user profile, DS4windows and Inputmapper detect the controller and I can use it in games. However, on another user profile with the same privileges and...
  7. Using controllers on different windows user profiles

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Getting different User Profile name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Getting different User Profile name: Today, I was cleaning the temp folder when i noticed that my user profile name is different. It should be "Surya Sengupta" however when i enter temp folder using run, i am getting "SURYAS~1". I am very much confused regarding this matter....
  9. Uninstalling apps in different user profiles

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Uninstalling apps in different user profiles: If I uninstall an app in a child's user profile will that delete it in my administrator user profile? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstalling-apps-in-different-user-profiles/862c1928-d83c-4911-a989-ba8e4dbfe4c7"
  10. Difference between deleting user profile by different ways

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Difference between deleting user profile by different ways: Profile of a user is corruped in a Domain PC. What is the difference if admin delete the user profile via advance system properties instead from registry editor. 142813