Windows 10: Windows 10 uses 98% of RAM even when first starting up

Discus and support Windows 10 uses 98% of RAM even when first starting up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am having some performance issues with my computer, so I checked performance monitor. It showed that almost all of my RAM was being used -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by twjolson, Jul 2, 2020.

1. twjolson Win User

Windows 10 uses 98% of RAM even when first starting up

Hello,

I am having some performance issues with my computer, so I checked performance monitor. It showed that almost all of my RAM was being used - even though I didn't have much open. Even when I reboot, 97% or more of the RAM is being used, even though no process uses more than a few hundred megabytes.

Adding up the usage of all the processes listed with tasklist totals about about 3 gb. Nothing unexpected was listed.

Here is the output from Task Manager's Performance tab :

In Use Compressed : 31.3 gb 371 MB

Available 705 MB

Committed : 33.8 / 94.5 GB

Cached : 701 MB

Paged Pool : 260 MB

Non-Paged Pool : 381 MB

My startup programs don't have anything unexpected or particularly bulky. I think dropbox is the heftiest one.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

twjolson, Jul 2, 2020
  2. twjolson Win User

Hello,

I am having some performance issues with my computer, so I checked performance monitor. It showed that almost all of my RAM was being used - even though I didn't have much open. Even when I reboot, 97% or more of the RAM is being used, even though no process
    uses more than a few hundred megabytes.

Adding up the usage of all the processes listed with tasklist totals about about 3 gb. Nothing unexpected was listed.

Here is the output from Task Manager's Performance tab :

In Use (Compressed) : 31.3 gb (371 MB)

Available (705 MB)

Committed : 33.8 / 94.5 GB

Cached : 701 MB

Paged Pool : 260 MB

Non-Paged Pool : 381 MB

My startup programs don't have anything unexpected or particularly bulky. I think dropbox is the heftiest one.

Any help would be appreciated.

twjolson, Aug 5, 2020
  3. twjolson Win User

So, that was a little adventure. Its fixed, whatever it was.

I used RamMap, like you suggested. This showed that 30gb of memory was Driver Locked.

I found a page that recommended using Windows Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit to determine which driver locked the memory.

I tried to run it, but my PC is connected to a Home Domain - I can't autologin (as far as a quick search would indicate, at least).

So, I unjoined the domain, logged in with a local user account and set that to auto login.

It showed nothing.

When I looked at Task Manager - only 10% of RAM was in use.

So, I rejoined the Domain, and even now, it is only using about 10% of memory.

What. The. Hell.

twjolson, Aug 5, 2020
  4. Windows 10 uses 98% of RAM even when first starting up

Windows 98 problem

why not try to use virtual PC and emulate windows 98 on a XP machine or did someone already suggest that?

brandonwh64, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 uses 98% of RAM even when first starting up - Similar Threads - uses 98% RAM

2. PC not connecting to internet when first starting up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not connecting to internet when first starting up: I recently got a new pc, and it's having trouble connecting to wifi wirelessly, all it says is "Ethernet 3, not connected", I was so excited for this pc but can't use it because I can't get pass this step....
  3. PC not connecting to internet when first starting up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not connecting to internet when first starting up: I recently got a new pc, and it's having trouble connecting to wifi wirelessly, all it says is "Ethernet 3, not connected", I was so excited for this pc but can't use it because I can't get pass this step....
  4. Not using available RAM even when needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not using available RAM even when needed: I usually play games on my laptop and recently I have started facing an issue where certain things won't load up in the games such as map parts and character skins. This wasn't a problem earlier so I checked my task manager and it shows that the RAM is not being used up. The...
  5. Not using available RAM even when needed

Not using available RAM even when needed: I usually play games on my laptop and recently I have started facing an issue where certain things won't load up in the games such as map parts and character skins. This wasn't a problem earlier so I checked my task manager and it shows that the RAM is not being used up. The...
  6. RAM used up to 50% when no apps are running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAM used up to 50% when no apps are running: Hi,I am just wondering how can I fix this problem where my RAM can be used from 50%-70% without using any apps. I'm not sure why is this or how to fix this, please find a solution for me.RAM: 8GBanti-virus: avast premium...
  7. RAM used up to 50% when no apps are running

RAM used up to 50% when no apps are running: Hi,I am just wondering how can I fix this problem where my RAM can be used from 50%-70% without using any apps. I'm not sure why is this or how to fix this, please find a solution for me.RAM: 8GBanti-virus: avast premium...
  8. When PC first start window acts up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When PC first start window acts up: Hi guys got a quick question. I've noticed that when I start my computer if I first click on chrome instead of opening one window it opens multiple. Along with that sometimes the windows start menu and task bar won't work. When that happens if I type anything the browser or...
  9. Windows 10 hangs on first start up each day

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 hangs on first start up each day: Heyall,thanksforyourtime.SoIrecentlyupgradedfrom windows7to windows10andhaveencounteredastrangeissue,andmygoogleskillshavefailed tofindasolution.Basically,everyday,thefirsttimeiturnmycomputeron,ithangsatthe windowssplashscreen. Itstheblackscreenwiththeblue...
  10. issue on start up of windows on the first startup.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    issue on start up of windows on the first startup.: When I go to start up my computer for the first time, Windows will often freeze on the first screen where it has the windows logo and normally has the little white circles that rotate in the shape of another circle. Specifically, the circles never show up. when I hard shut...