Windows 10: Windows 10 v2004 upgrade clear a lot of user profile and broke all Microsoft Store Apps

Discus and support Windows 10 v2004 upgrade clear a lot of user profile and broke all Microsoft Store Apps in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I was prompted to Update and Restart last night, so let it run and shut the PC down later. This morning I booted up and all my desktop icons were... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by ScottSt, Aug 13, 2020.

1. ScottSt Win User

Windows 10 v2004 upgrade clear a lot of user profile and broke all Microsoft Store Apps

I was prompted to Update and Restart last night, so let it run and shut the PC down later.

This morning I booted up and all my desktop icons were jammed together at the top of my first monitor, and everything pinned to my Start Menu and Taskbar were gone, and the Start menu had a bunch of the default icons back, but most showed a down arrow as the icon. I restarted with same result.

It took me 3 hours to re-layout my 3 screens of desktop icons, recreate the Start menu and task bar as best I could remember, and fix the reset screen blanker too.

I finally thought I was good to go and was able to work from home until I needed to use a Microsoft Store app.

It wouldn't start ... none of them will ... and I can't even run the Microsoft Store app itself. Nothing appear to happed when i try.

I googled a bit and found something that suggested my Microsoft Account was broken.

I run windows 10 Pro on a domain with local domain logons, and my Microsoft Account was associated with my logon NOT used to do the logon because I have machines that aren't Windows boxes but are domain joined.

Anyway, I can logon to my Microsoft account with a web browser so my password is fine.

Found the association in Settings, Accounts, Email & accounts and it looked fine there, but figured I could remove it and re-add it. I removed it. Then clicked the only option there titled "Add a work or school account", but it won't take my credentials ... it finally hit me that in a web web browser logon it asks which type of Microsoft Account I have and has "work or school" and "personal" and mine is a Personal account so I can't add it.

So I can no longer use any Microsoft Store apps ... there are no replacements for many of those so now what am I supposed to do?

:)

ScottSt, Aug 13, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

"Microsoft is sending emails to some Windows Store developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the Store for violating its quality standards."

"Neowin reports that app developers have been receiving these emails over the past couple of days:

In its latest review of the Store, Microsoft is evaluating if the published apps are good enough to be listed in the Windows Store. This includes publicly available apps as well as private beta apps. Additionally, Microsoft is also asking developers to delete any promotional campaigns for their apps to prevent advertising charges. Similarly, app name reservations are also being nullified; which means that if your app is unpublished, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to republish it under the same name.

Officially, the policies for the Microsoft Store says that apps must have "distinct and informative metadata" and "provide a valuable and quality user experience". There are also some specific standards that must be in the apps, including having a name that is not similar to another app or device, along with offering a description that is accurate about its features and functions.

There have certainly been many Windows Store users who have complained over the years about the large number of apps published that are clones of other apps or ones that are simply poorly made. Hopefully, this new move by Microsoft will help to curb these issues, at least for now.
    "

Microsoft to remove low quality apps from Windows Store

P4-630, Aug 13, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Aug 13, 2020
  4. HTC
    HTC Win User

Windows 10 v2004 upgrade clear a lot of user profile and broke all Microsoft Store Apps

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

Will they remove windows 10 too?

Thema:

1. Windows 10 v2004 upgrade clear a lot of user profile and broke all Microsoft Store Apps - Similar Threads - v2004 upgrade clear

2. Microsoft store in Windows LoT

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store in Windows LoT: I have Windows 10 enterprise loT. Can I install Microsoft Store? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-in-windows-lot/8a9368a3-5bcf-4b6f-8606-92141cf0d3d2
  3. Microsoft store in Windows LoT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store in Windows LoT: I have Windows 10 enterprise loT. Can I install Microsoft Store? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-in-windows-lot/8a9368a3-5bcf-4b6f-8606-92141cf0d3d2
  4. Microsoft store in Windows LoT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I clear the autocomplete of the user data in all Microsoft apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I clear the autocomplete of the user data in all Microsoft apps?: Hi, I've removed my users info and email from Windows Settings - Account - Info and Email, also I'm using a local account.I've also removed in Edge - Settings - Profiles - Personal Data the account info I've found.I've downloaded the Facebook app from the Microsft store and,...
  6. Can I clear the autocomplete of the user data in all Microsoft apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I clear the autocomplete of the user data in all Microsoft apps?: Hi, I've removed my users info and email from Windows Settings - Account - Info and Email, also I'm using a local account.I've also removed in Edge - Settings - Profiles - Personal Data the account info I've found.I've downloaded the Facebook app from the Microsft store and,...
  7. Do shared user profiles apps modify the apps for all other users?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do shared user profiles apps modify the apps for all other users?: So I'm using a PC with two different Microsoft user profiles and want to share apps between these users, so all of them can use the installed apps. My question is, if one user uses and modifies the app, does it modify it the same for all the other users or do these changes in...
  8. Lots of User Profiles

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lots of User Profiles: Hi, have lots of users and groups on my laptop, i dont know how or why, should just be me. only realised when i wanted to download software it kept putting it in my documents, wanted to change to program files and wouldn't allow me "no administrator rights". Please help...
  9. Upgrade OneDrive in all user profiles on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade OneDrive in all user profiles on Windows 10: Hi. I am administrator of Windows 10 Enterprise version 1803. Recently I got a following finding about OneDrive on my Windows 10 by vulnerability scan. -------------------------------------- Upgrade to Microsoft OneDrive version 20.084.0426.007 or later. Installed...
  10. Issue with Roaming Profiles Windows 10 v2004

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue with Roaming Profiles Windows 10 v2004: On a domain joined computer, Windows 10 v2004 10.0.19041 fails to correctly create a new user profile on the network location. It create the folder, but not the data files/folder/reg settings within the folder. Profile is created on the local computer. Have tested and this...