Windows 10: Windows 10 ver. 1809 Default Programs issue

Discus and support Windows 10 ver. 1809 Default Programs issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently refreshed my PC (meaning I reinstalled windows without affecting my files) and since the refresh, setting default programs to open certain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HellBlade64, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Windows 10 ver. 1809 Default Programs issue

I recently refreshed my PC (meaning I reinstalled windows without affecting my files) and since the refresh, setting default programs to open certain files has not been working. When I set something, say .zip files, to be opened by 7zip I right click, select open with, select 7zip and check the box that says "Always use this for opening .zip files". But the change is never committed to the default programs list. This isn't isolated to .zip files either, it's happening with every file I have tried. I would like answers in haste as to why this is suddenly happening.

:)

HellBlade64, Nov 19, 2018

2. Default Photo issue

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for your update.

We suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Go to control panel.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Click on Microsoft Picture Viewer and set it to default.
    • Check if the issue is resolved.

Keep us posted if you have any issue with Windows, we are happy to assist you.

Deepak..Raghav, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 19, 2018
  4. Windows 10 ver. 1809 Default Programs issue

How to set default programs in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From your description, I understand that you want to know how to add programs to the default list in Windows 10.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you try adding programs to the default list?

• If yes, did you get any error code/error message while adding the programs?

Two conditions must be met for a program to appear in the default list:

• The program must have registered itself as being capable of handling at least one file type.

• At least one or the other program must have registered itself of being capable of handling at least one of those same file type(s).

Method 1: Follow the steps below to set the default programs and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program option from the window.

• Click on the file type or protocol that you want to change and click on
      Change program.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs defaults and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 ver. 1809 Default Programs issue

1. Windows 10 ver. 1809 Default Programs issue - Similar Threads - ver 1809 Default

2. Windows 10 ver 1809 fails to update to ver 2OH2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 ver 1809 fails to update to ver 2OH2: For the past several months the computer has been trying to update windows 10 to version 2oh2. It would restart itself and then goto the MSI loading screen and just sit there I've let it sit there on this screen for a few days. In order to use the laptop I have to power down...
  3. Windows 10 ver 1809

Windows 10 ver 1809: My current version of widows 10 ver. 1809 has an end of service for Nov. 10, 2020. I have all the updates installed. What do I have to do to continue service? Is there a newer version I have to install or purchase? if so where do I find it. I've looked everywhere on the site...
  4. windows 10 ver 1809

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 ver 1809: I finally got my update to work,(from 1803 to 1809) now I can't share my printer. I have shared it in the printer properties, I turned on network discovery, I have shared my printer. Now on the computer I want to share to, I turned on network discovery, and shared printer. I...
  5. Windows update ver 1809

Windows update ver 1809: I got a notification to update my windows 10 to version 1809 The problem is: the update installation gets stuck at 80% and nothing else, no error message, no nothing, just keeps turning the install circle and stays at 80% forever. I have tried to delete the previous...
  6. windows 10 update from ver.1709 to ver.1809

windows 10 update from ver.1709 to ver.1809: can we update Windows 10 ver.1709 to ver.1809 directly using "Windows 10 Update Assistant"??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-from-ver1709-to-ver1809/891e2f3f-4120-495c-8e5a-c97032c032ff
  7. Reinstall Windows 10 ver 1809

Reinstall Windows 10 ver 1809: Dear community, I want to install the latest Windows version 1809 on a clean disk. I do not want to reinstall by Update & Security -> Recovery. My plan is to create a USB installation media from the official site, start the computer from USB, format drive C and install...
  8. Windows update ver 1809

Windows update ver 1809: I got a notification to update my windows 10 to version 1809 The problem is: the update installation gets stuck at 78% and nothing else, no error message, no nothing, just keeps turning the install circle and stays at 78% forever. I have tried to delete the previous...
  9. Win 10 Ver 1809

Win 10 Ver 1809: Has the Oct update that was suspended been re released. Bill https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-ver-1809/3e59a410-1f39-497a-be80-f8620d8169aa
  10. windows 10 ver 1809 activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 ver 1809 activation: the other day mt deactivation kept i saying key no longer valid so got on microsoft help now now my windows says its oem i had a 8.1 retail full ver pro when 10 came out i upgraded from that like everybody else did had no problems even upgraded the computer a couple of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change default programs in windows 10 version 1809

2. w10 ver 1809