Windows 10: Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch

Discus and support Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; OS: Windows 10 v2004 According to this video on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHIY6pOJUk, Microsoft has screwed up the defrag function in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sewing1243, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch

According to this video on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHIY6pOJUk, Microsoft has screwed up the defrag function in the latest update. What I found on my 4 Windows 10 PCs (all updated to Ver 2004) is that PCs with a combination of SSDs and Hard-drives this function was turned on for both, on PCs with only SSDs installed the defrag function was turned off.

Does anyone have more info on this and if Microsoft is going to fix it soon?

:)

sewing1243, Jun 27, 2020

2. Defragment & SSD

Hi.

I have installed a Samsung SSD 850 Evo on a Windows 10 build 10.0.14393.

In the Defragment software, I saw "trimmed" instead of "defragmented".

What is trim? Is it necessary to run defragment on SSD?

Running defragment makes any problem to SSD or not?

Thank you.

Reza_Mesgaran, Jun 27, 2020
  3. WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it

I have been using my 850 evo SSD as system drive for 3 years and I have always left Windows to optimize the drives. It's recognized as an SSD and everythin worked fine. Until recently, I noticed the drive's activity light is on when idle. Then I open up
    task manager and the default defrag app and wait. And it turns out Windows is indeed defragging my SSD as its current status shows "2% consolidated" instead of "X% trimmed" (and trimming usually takes only a few seconds). The SSD is nearly 100% active as well.
    I disabled optimization for my SSDs and leave it on for HDDs only for now. Why did Windows all of a sudden decide to defrag my SSD? Again, the SSD is not being recognized as HDD and Windows used to trim the SSD noramlly. Is there a way to fix it? Windows version
    is 1903. Thanks.

Desmonds99, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch

TRIM for SSD drive

I have a new Dell desktop PC with WIN 10. It has a hard drive (DWindows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch :) and a SSD (CWindows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch :). In the past I have always defragged my hard drive but I understand that I should not optimize/defrag the SSD - that WIN 10 by default uses TRIM to optimize the SSD. I read
    that TRIM is set as a default in WIN 10 and that it optimizes the SSD once a week. But when I look at the properties for the SSD drive, it shows that it has not been optimized for 14 days.

1. How do I know that TRIM is working?

2. If it isn't set as a default, how to I change that?

Thanks.

M Walsh

MarianWalsh, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch

1. Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch - Similar Threads - ver 2004 SSD

2. SSD trim after 2004 Update question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD trim after 2004 Update question: I read that the bug had been sorted out where Windows 10 automatically trims SSD's on version 2004 and doesnt remember it was done so informs you that it needs to be done again. I checked in event Viewer and can see that on October 1st my SSD was successfully trimmed but it...
  3. SSD writing and defrag/trim issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD writing and defrag/trim issue: [ATTACH] Recently about 2 weeks ago I bought a 256 GB SSD and did a clean install on it. Is 327 GB of writes is normal? Does the auto optimization play the role here? I read somewhere that Windows actually "trims" not defrags the SSD. One weird thing is the program doesn't...
  4. Has the Windows 10 2004 Defrag/Trim issue been resolved yet?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Has the Windows 10 2004 Defrag/Trim issue been resolved yet?: Hi. I purchased an HP Desktop with an SSD drive (1st SSD drive I've had. I haven't set it up yet as I want to use it as a replacement if my current Desktop fails (it's very healthy right now). I got a good buy on the new pc which had very good reviews so I went for it. (I...
  5. SSD defragging Problem in Windows 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD defragging Problem in Windows 2004: So its well know the issue presented by Windows 2004 that it keeps Defragging the SSD drive and doesn't retain that it did it already. Why does this not appera on MS Known Issue page?? Thank You...
  6. Is Windows 10 Defragging SSDs and TRIM-ing HDDs exclusive to version 2004 and is it an...

Is Windows 10 Defragging SSDs and TRIM-ing HDDs exclusive to version 2004 and is it an...: Hey guys. I've just checked the Event Viewer for "Defrag" event to see whether the recent "issue" exists in previous version of Windows 10 (1909). Here is the album where it can be seen that both defrag and TRIM have been done to both SSD and HDD. The events are not shown...
  7. Win10 2004,SSD Defrag issue

Win10 2004,SSD Defrag issue: Hi I need a bit of help here. I saw this video on Youtube and I found he was talking about the latest version of Windows 10, 2004 which has the problem of defragmentation which as according to him is dangerous and might shorten the life of SSD drives installed. I also have...
  8. Can't disable SSD defrag bug in Windows 10 2004

Can't disable SSD defrag bug in Windows 10 2004: Hello. So I have a laptop with this new version of Windows 10, and it only has one SSD unit (C:), so when I try to choose which units should not defrag automatically, it doesn't let me save my changes, as it's the only unit. https://imgur.com/a/oACqyLj 4 screenshots of the...
  9. Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug: Hello everybody, Windows 10 2004 still has the bug, that the data about the time of the last operation and the current status are not saved. In some forums I have read, that therefore the planned optimization should be disabled, otherwise Windows would run it after every...
  10. WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it: I have been using my 850 evo SSD as system drive for 3 years and I have always left Windows to optimize the drives. It's recognized as an SSD and everythin worked fine. Until recently, I noticed the drive's activity light is on when idle. Then I open up task manager and the...