Windows 10: Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection

Discus and support Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been building a test laboratory to try out Windows 10 version 1809 with Windows Server 2019 and I've come across an issue. When I configure the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by th3_f15t, Jan 29, 2019.

1. th3_f15t Win User

Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection

I've been building a test laboratory to try out Windows 10 version 1809 with Windows Server 2019 and I've come across an issue.

When I configure the clients to connect to WSUS for updating, they won't connect and scan if they don't have an internet connection. I'm testing these operating systems in such a way to represent an isolated, highly secure system that has no external access (i.e. no internet/WAN).

I've set the group policy to scan against WSUS (both HTTP and HTTPS) and not look towards Microsoft, include deferral policies that scan against Microsoft after a period of time.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

:)

th3_f15t, Jan 29, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 29, 2019
  3. qubit Win User
    The WSUS support thread

This thread is for all things WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). Discussion, installation questions, problems all go here.

What is WSUS? It's basically a big file cache for all your Windows/Microsoft updates, so all your updates are only ever downloaded over the internet once. Instead of getting your updates directly from Microsoft whenever you reinstall your operating system, you point Windows to your local WSUS server instead. This makes downloading the multi-gigabytes of updates way faster using your internal network and also saves your internet bandwidth, which is often metered and limited.

Note that it requires Windows Server to run. I recommend running the latest Server 2008 R2 for performance, stability and security, if you can. This is a 64-bit only OS. And yes, the server can update from it's own WSUS server too. *Cool Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection :cool:

I've got links to a few resources below and I'll be adding more goodness to this post and the next one, as people make useful contributions to this thread.

Some WSUS resources to get you started:

The manual: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939796(WS.10).aspx

WSUS home: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

WSUS forum: Technet forums - WSUS

WSUS wiki: www.wsuswiki.com

POINTING WINDOWS TO THE WSUS SERVER

Note that this procedure is all you have to do on Vista and 7. XP requires a little extra and the whole update process isn't as transparent or efficient.

- Click the Orb at the bottom left of the desktop aka 'Start' button
    - In the search field enter GPEDIT.MSC
    - In the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE) console that appears, navigate to: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    - Double click the Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location Group Policy setting. Note that Not Configured is showing in the State column

Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection WSUSsetup01.png

- The dialog box opens. Note that the Not Configured radio button is selected

Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection WSUSsetup02.png

- Enter the server details, by clicking the Enabled radio button and entering the same details in both Options fields. The server's name is the standard Windows name. My server is called afterburner *Smile Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection :)

Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection WSUSsetup03.png

- Click OK. The main LGPE window now looks like below. Note that Enabled is now showing in the State column.

Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection WSUSsetup04.png

- Close the LGPE window

- Open the Windows Update window. It should now show You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection WSUSsetup05.png

Now, whenever you check for updates, Windows will access your WSUS server instead of looking over the internet to Microsoft's servers.
    If you want to change it back at an time, simply change the Group Policy setting back to Not Configured.

qubit, Jan 29, 2019
  4. Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection

Upgrading to Windows 10 from windows 7 and losing internet connection

A couple of days ago I upgraded my desktop to windows 10 after getting one of those MS prompts. However now I cannot access the internet and suspect the drivers from the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-ud4 motherboard does not support the internet drivers required. Searching the manufacturers website has not given me any joy either. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

iwanttobeabookie, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection

1. Windows 10 version 1809 and WSUS without internet connection - Similar Threads - version 1809 WSUS

2. Is there a way to use WSUS and SCCM without internet connection? We have a system that...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to use WSUS and SCCM without internet connection? We have a system that...: Is there a way to use WSUS and SCCM without internet connection? We have a system that doesn't have any access to the internet, looking for a work around....
  3. Is there a way to use WSUS and SCCM without internet connection? We have a system that...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to use WSUS and SCCM without internet connection? We have a system that...: Is there a way to use WSUS and SCCM without internet connection? We have a system that doesn't have any access to the internet, looking for a work around....
  4. Is there a way to use WSUS and SCCM without internet connection? We have a system that...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Update notification on PC connected to WSUS 1809 LTSC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update notification on PC connected to WSUS 1809 LTSC: I have a bunch of PCs all running 1809 LTSC with the target version policy set, and which get the updates from a W2012 R2 server running WSUS. Group policy is set not to connect to any internet sites, deferrals do not cause scan against windows update, do not include drivers,...
  6. Enable Windows Sandbox in Windows 10 version 1903 without internet connection

Enable Windows Sandbox in Windows 10 version 1903 without internet connection: Hi. I wonder if someone could help me on this one. Provided I have the ISO image of Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro installed on my machine, is there a way to enable Windows Sandbox without having internet access? Thank you all in advance for your help....
  7. IPv6 Connectivity in Windows 10 version 1809

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IPv6 Connectivity in Windows 10 version 1809: I did not noticed that I had an IPv6 connectivity issue until my computer was updated to version 1809. No IPv6 network access in IE11 or Edge, IPv4 connectivity was okay but the IPv6 issue was affecting the https websites (padlock keeps dropping out, web page won't display...
  8. Windows 10 version 1809

Windows 10 version 1809: Hello everyone. Do you know if Microsoft will provide a fix for those who have manually installed Windows 10 version 1809? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-1809/2a22641f-8d3b-4045-a0ba-1ad531861e9b
  9. Windows 10 Crashing Without Internet Connection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Crashing Without Internet Connection: I have come to my wits end on as to why my Windows 10 won't run without an internet connection. I came across a thread for this which was no help. I have 4 desktops running the same version of 10 pro and 1 laptop running it. While a connection is made, windows allows me to...
  10. Windows 10 Version 1809 Random internet Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Version 1809 Random internet Disconnecting: Hi Team, Many users have been reporting problems with their LAN connectivity, especially the fact that the LAN is disconnecting frequently. I have checked all drivers and windows patches is up to date. but still LAN disconnecting again and again. and after 10 or 15...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. updating to 1809 with WSUS

2. windows update 1809 ignores wsus

3. windows 10 1809 wsus registry settings

4. windows 10 1903 wsus not connecting,
  5. windows 10 1809 not connecting to wsus,
  6. windows 10 1809 to connect to wsus,
  7. wsus 2012 windows 10 1809,
  8. windows 10 1809 not reporting to wsus 2012 r2,
  9. wsus 2008 R2 1809,
  10. WSUS Windows 10 1809 Updates Only,
  11. approuve winsdow 10 1809 in wsus,