Windows 10: Windows 10 version 1809: pay attention to Disk Cleanup settings

Discus and support Windows 10 version 1809: pay attention to Disk Cleanup settings in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Disk Cleanup is a useful tool integrated in Windows that users may run to delete temporary files and old data to free up storage space. Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 version 1809: pay attention to Disk Cleanup settings

Disk Cleanup is a useful tool integrated in Windows that users may run to delete temporary files and old data to free up storage space.

Microsoft revealed plans recently to deprecate the Disk Cleanup tool in favor of a similar feature integrated into the Settings app of the Windows 10 operating system.

The company expanded Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 version 1809, the October 2018 Update. The core change adds an option to Disk Cleanup to delete all files in the Downloads folder of the user.

Note: Microsoft stopped the rollout of the new feature update for Windows 10 days after its initial availability. Some users reported that the upgrade to the new version of Windows removed personal data from the user profile folder.

Disk Cleanup and the Downloads folder

Windows 10 version 1809: pay attention to Disk Cleanup settings disk-cleanup-downloads.png

Some Windows users and administrators like to run Disk Cleanup after successful feature update installations to remove traces of the previous version of Windows and free up Gigabytes of space in the process.

Microsoft itself suggests to use the tool and other means to free up disk space on Windows 10 devices.

The option to delete files in the Downloads folder has caught some users by surprise. Uses who check all Disk Cleanup options without going through them one by one discovered that the tool deleted the entire downloads folder on the system after it ran its course.

WARNING: In Windows 10 1809 - Fall 2018 Update the Download folder was silently added to the Disk Cleanup tool list. I've just wiped out my entire Downloads folder by mistake, because I used to select all the options in Disk Cleanup every time

The Downloads option is not checked in the Disk Cleanup tool or in the Settings application. Users need to check it actively to add cleanup of the Downloads folder to the process.

Microsoft added options to delete the Downloads folder to the Settings app in previous Windows 10 versions but added the option to the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 10 version 1809.

In other words: if you run Windows 10 version 1809 or later, make sure you check only the options in the Settings app or Disk Cleanup that you require. Checking all options without verifying them will delete files in the Downloads folder on the system.

Users who are affected by the deletion of files may use file recovery software like Recuva to get some or even all of the data restored.

Now you: How big is your downloads folder?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 version 1809: pay attention to Disk Cleanup settings appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Disk cleanup not working on Windows 10.

Hello David,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• What is the exact error message you are getting?
    • Are you trying to delete the temporary files or system files using
      Disk cleanup
      ?

Disk cleanup is used to delete the un-wanted and un-necessary temporary files located in your PC. However you can also use Disk cleanup to delete system files on the PC, which is not recommended as it might cause system
    performance issues on the PC.

When performing Disk Cleanup, checking the appropriate options is necessary so you do not delete the restore points present in the system.

Refer to the steps from the link below on Disk cleanup in Windows 10 and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

If the issue persists, is suggest you to close all the system windows which is kept open on the desktop and check if the Disk cleanup method works.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Windows 10 version 1809: pay attention to Disk Cleanup settings

Disk Cleanup after The anniversary update

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Disk Cleanup. I will certainly help you.

As per your query, I would like to inform you that, it is safe to delete all the files with extension .tmp in the temporary files folder.

I suggest you to try deleting the temporary file manually by the steps provided below and check if it helps:

• Go to Windows key+ R and type
      temp
    • Select all of the files and folders within the Temp folder and delete.

Please follow the below link to run disk cleanup:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Kindly update us on the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

Swetha Sree, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 version 1809: pay attention to Disk Cleanup settings

1. Windows 10 version 1809: pay attention to Disk Cleanup settings - Similar Threads - version 1809 pay

2. Disk Cleanup, Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Cleanup, Windows 10: Disk Cleanup does not remove any of the following files: Windows Update Cleanup 54MB Windows Defender Antivirus 20 MB Temporary Internet Files 13 MB. I have tried running Disk Cleanup as Admin by right-clicking in Administrative Tools. Is Disk Cleanup bugged? How do I...
  3. disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk cleanup: disk cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/4e0cc450-a69e-4f33-b684-2e2901f62732
  4. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  5. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  6. Windows 10 Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Disk Cleanup: When I run the disk cleanup option, it suggests there is 1.421gb of data in downloads, but there is nothing there (including after switching on hidden items) ???? I'm worried about what this means and if I choose delete, what will actually be deleted form where??? Here is...
  7. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  8. W10 version 1809 - Danger with Disk Cleanup!

in Windows 10 Customization
    W10 version 1809 - Danger with Disk Cleanup!: I honestly do not believe that adding the Download Folder contents to Disk Cleanup in version 1809 is a good idea. People have relied on Disk Cleanup for years to clean temporary files. Using it, most people will simply put a checkmark next to all items to be cleaned and...
  9. Microsoft will pay more attention to the quality of Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will pay more attention to the quality of Windows 10 updates: 2018 hasn’t been a great year for Microsoft as the major Windows 10 update was rolled out with some bugs. Last month Microsoft released and pulled Windows 10 October 2018 Update after users reported that files were being deleted during installation. In a blog post, Microsoft...
  10. Disk Cleanup can now wipe your downloads folder in Windows 10 version 1809

in Windows 10 News
    Disk Cleanup can now wipe your downloads folder in Windows 10 version 1809: Microsoft has released Windows 10 October 2018 Update, or the version 1809 – following the Windows 10 April 2018 Update that released back in spring of 2018. Windows 10 October 2018 Update comes with several new features and improvements to freshen up your PC experience....