Windows 10: Windows 10 version 1809 plagued by another data loss issue

Discus and support Windows 10 version 1809 plagued by another data loss issue in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Things don't look that good for Windows 10 version 1809, the October 2018 feature update for Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system. Microsoft had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 version 1809 plagued by another data loss issue

Things don't look that good for Windows 10 version 1809, the October 2018 feature update for Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system.

Microsoft had to pull the update days after its release because of a data loss issue that impacted some devices. While the issue was not very widespread -- it only affected 1 in every 10000 users -- it was serious enough to pull the brakes and do another round of bug fixing and testing. The issue was a major issue but not the only issue that Windows 10 version 1809 users were plagued by.

Microsoft pushed an updated version to Insider versions already but has yet to unlock the update again on Windows Update or other distribution channels for Stable devices.

The data loss issue back then affected systems on which some default folders such as Documents or Pictures were moved to another location without moving the files they contained. The bug removed the files in the original folder.

Windows 10 version 1809 plagued by another data loss issue windows-10-zip-data-loss.png

The new bug appears to affect operations with archives. A Reddit user reported that Windows 10 version 1809 would no longer prompt the user for conflict actions, e.g. when a file exists in the destination and is about to be copied to that destination.

Previous versions of Windows 10 would prompt the user for an action such as replacing the original file with the new copy or skipping it. Windows 10 version 1809 does not prompt according to reports but overwrites automatically in the selected destination folder.

Another report, this time from a thread on Ask Woody, suggests that it may also happen that the same operation fails silently by not overwriting files at all and not prompting users about it.

A third report on Reddit suggests that drag and drop operations from compressed folders to others appear broken as well. The copy "appears" to happen but when the user checks the files in the destination folder, files have not been updated.

All three reports suggest that some zip-related behavior is broken in the operating system. The users did not reveal if they used the built-in zip functionality or a third-party application; it seems likely that the bug affects only Windows 10's built-in zip functionality and not third-party programs such as Bandizip, WinRar, or 7-Zip.

Comments confirm the assumption: the issue affects only the built-in Zip functionality of Windows 10 version 1809 and not that of third-party application.

Closing Words

It remains to be seen if Microsoft manages to fix this issue as well when it re-releases the Windows 10 version 1809 feature update. Windows 10 version 1809 users should consider using a third-party ZIP application in the meantime for all copying and unzipping operations.

Now You: Another data loss issue, what is your take on that? (via Ask Woody)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 version 1809 plagued by another data loss issue appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Cr00zng Win User

WMP for version 1809...

My Windows 10 N, version 1803 had used Windows Media Player via installing it from the "Windows_MediaFeaturePack_x64_1803.msu" file.

Updating to 1809 removed the WMP and no longer available in the apps list:

Windows 10 version 1809 plagued by another data loss issue [​IMG]

There's an updated version listed at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-n-editions

But clicking on the link and looking for the 1809 in the drop down list of versions does not show the media feature pack available for download for 1809; instead it shows version 1709 and 1803.

Does anyone have a direct link to WMP for Windows 10 N, version 1809?

TIA...

Cr00zng, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Windows 10 version 1809 plagued by another data loss issue

1809 update Data Loss

Perhaps my observations on the SB2 15", win 10, 1809 (!!!) can help with solving the "data loss problems with the update.

1 I have had no data loss or other hiccups with the update.

2 I had redirected the folders "pictures", "music", "videos" (but not "documents") from my C:\Users folder respectively to

E:\username\pictures2

E:\username\music2

E:\username\videos2

E being a permanent SDXC card

3 This redirection was accomplished by modifying the "properties" of the individual folders, namely by explicitly specifying the new target path.

4 1809 has expanded it's "properties" app, so that the system-storage-storage options tab includes more redirections, for example:

Store new pictures to - C: Main Storage or E: secondary storage. Default is C:.

5 Upon trying this out - redirecting "new pictures" to E: - a new User Folder was created with my name on E: and in this, a new "pictures" folder, while removing the original "pictures" from the original user folder on C:. The originally redirected
    pictures remained on E: in their folder pictures2 (see point 2)

There is obviously a storage conflict between individual specs of user data folders and this new redirection feature in properties.

6 Without individual redirection it could be, that the original user files in the user folder were just replaced by empty folders when updating.

7 I mentioned not redirecting the "documents" folder. This had remained on C: in the user folder.

When I checked "documents", the folder was still there, including all sub-folders. But without any files! It seems to have been replaced by just the empty folder structure.

Conclusion: Could it be that the new feature of redirecting user files performed these replacements wrongly due to an error in specifying the full path in the update routines - forgetting to transfer data with the folder structure?

Patrick B.Ludwig, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 version 1809 plagued by another data loss issue

1. Windows 10 version 1809 plagued by another data loss issue - Similar Threads - version 1809 plagued

2. Windows data loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows data loss: I accidentally closed my PC while it was configuring Windows and now I can't open specific apps like Google Play or else the PC will crash. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-data-loss/fb8a3461-85e4-4b48-8b14-587a552bed8e
  3. Windows data loss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows data loss: I accidentally closed my PC while it was configuring Windows and now I can't open specific apps like Google Play or else the PC will crash. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-data-loss/fb8a3461-85e4-4b48-8b14-587a552bed8e
  4. Windows data loss

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I experienced file loss on Windows 10 Version 1809

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I experienced file loss on Windows 10 Version 1809: This sucks, I've added music file in the music folder but the day after its gone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-experienced-file-loss-on-windows-10-version-1809/47e52122-8043-4d72-9d22-79fa9e6930e5
  6. Microsoft fixed the data loss issue in Windows 10 version 1809

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft fixed the data loss issue in Windows 10 version 1809: Microsoft has corrected issues that caused data loss on systems upgraded to the company's new feature update the October 2018 Update. The company released the update on October 2, 2018 as a manual update to give interested users and administrators an option to install the...
  7. Bugs and issues of Windows 10 version 1809

in Windows 10 News
    Bugs and issues of Windows 10 version 1809: Microsoft released the October 2018 Update for Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1809, on October 2, 2018 to the public. The update is not pushed out automatically through Windows Update but requires that users and administrators install it manually for the time being....
  8. 1809 update Data Loss

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1809 update Data Loss: Perhaps my observations on the SB2 15", win 10, 1809 (!!!) can help with solving the "data loss problems with the update. 1 I have had no data loss or other hiccups with the update. 2 I had redirected the folders "pictures", "music", "videos" (but not "documents") from my...
  9. Another 1809 Issue

Another 1809 Issue: I upgraded to 1809 the day it was released. Not only did it wipe out my system backup it also messed up my internet so that I had to reset it and reinstall the network drivers several times a day as well as slowing my games down to the point of being almost unplayable despite...
  10. Windows 10 Version 1809 Update - Loss of User Data

Windows 10 Version 1809 Update - Loss of User Data: This mornings update resulted in a successful system update and for some reason a loss of user data. The user/documents folder is present but all files and structure under the folder is missing. Windows.old folder is missing the same data. I've never seen this before and...