Windows 10: Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box

Discus and support Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi all, I have an HP 15-DW0046NR laptop with Intel 8265U processor and 8GB RAM. Windows version is Windows 10 x64 Enterprise, Version 1909 OS Build... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Old_Computer_Guy, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box

Hi all,

I have an HP 15-DW0046NR laptop with Intel 8265U processor and 8GB RAM. Windows version is Windows 10 x64 Enterprise, Version 1909 OS Build 10.0.18363.535 (Nov 2019 Update).

The problem is that since I received the update the other day the search box is "dead". By that I mean that you can attempt to click inside it but no cursor appears when you do and typing does nothing.

A "fix" (which is not a fix because the problem comes right back) is to open Task Manager, find the process named "Windows Explorer", right-click it and select "Restart". The search box will now work as expected for only for a random amount of time. Maybe 10 seconds, maybe 10 minutes.

My work is seriously affected by this. Quickly searching for and finding the files I need are part of my normal workflow and this search box problem makes that impossible. What results is opening files one by one until I find the one I need. And that's only possible if I know what folder it's in, which is not always possible.

I've resorted to using the 30-day trial version of Directory Opus, which has so many features that it has a little bit of a learning curve. Hopefully Microsoft will issue a fix for this problem in less than 30 days because I don't intend to pay $49 US to be able to search for files.

With all that said, has anyone found a fix for this? I searched but all the results I get are people complaining about the problem and posting the same "fix" I found, which is restarting the Windows Explorer process. (Note: Most posts mention using taskkill.exe to kill the process then restart it. That's not necessary. Just use the method I described to restart it. Much easier.)

:)

Old_Computer_Guy, Dec 19, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

File search box

Are you referring to the taskbar search box or the search box in file explorer?

Which is your Windows build?

- the troubleshooter? - I doubt that will help with problems typing in this search box.

I've not noted problems in 1903 myself, but a much more significant change in search - esp. in file explorer - occurred in 1909.

Note that from 1903, with the separation of Cortana from search, it's expected that repairs to Cortana now have no effect on the search box.

Please feel free to search the forum for
    can't type in search box
    This topic has been discussed many times as you can see:

Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box [​IMG]

See if you can find something to help starting with recent and solved threads.

Some problems have been reported with search in 1909.
    Windows 10 version 1909 November 2019 update breaks File Explorer search - SlashGear
    Windows 10 1909 KB4517245 Update Causes File Explorer Issues

dalchina, Dec 19, 2019
  3. jbates7 Win User
    File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909

As suggested earlier, when Windows 10 search in explorer 1909 does not work (i.e. nothing can be typed into the search box), restart Windows Explorer in the task manager.

Windows 10 updates - usually I wait a week or so before updating so that bugs can be fixed. Obviously this did't work in whichever update that trashed Wiindows Explorer.

jbates7, Dec 19, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box

1. Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box - Similar Threads - Version 1909 Cannot

2. Can't Type Into Windows File Explorer Search Box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Type Into Windows File Explorer Search Box: This morning I rebooted my PC because I couldn't get it out of sleep mode the monitor remained black. Everything seemed to come up normally. I noticed a process called Antimalware Service Executable, which I had never seen running before, hogging resources for an extended...
  3. Can't Type Into Windows File Explorer Search Box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Type Into Windows File Explorer Search Box: This morning I rebooted my PC because I couldn't get it out of sleep mode the monitor remained black. Everything seemed to come up normally. I noticed a process called Antimalware Service Executable, which I had never seen running before, hogging resources for an extended...
  4. Can't Type Into Windows File Explorer Search Box

in Cortana
  5. Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...: I have an unusual issue where I cannot type anything into Windows search boxes. Specifically the built in 'Search' in the explorer windows, and the 'Start' menu search doesn't show when typing. However I can search in the Control Panel. Also, to confound this issue further...
  6. Can't Type into Windows File Explorer Search Box

in Cortana
    Can't Type into Windows File Explorer Search Box: Hello, I have a Dell OptiPlex 3060 - Windows 10 Pro machine that is only about a year old and I am having issues where I cannot type into the search bar to look for any files. I simply cannot click into it. I've tried to do some research and have attempted the following but...
  7. Cannot type in search box in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot type in search box in explorer: Ever since the last update, search has been acting up. Often I cannot type in the search box in the upper right corner of any open folder. I have to restart to get it working. How to fix? Thanks. submitted by /u/butterballmd [link] [comments]...
  8. Windows 10 1909 - File Explorer search box missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 1909 - File Explorer search box missing: As the title says, updated a PC to 1909 and now the search box in file explorer is missing. Anyone know a fix? submitted by /u/ShiningSquirrel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ej4avc/windows_10_1909_file_explorer_search_box_missing/
  9. File Explorer can't type Search box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer can't type Search box: I cannot enter data in the File Explorer Search Box. This problem is annoying and reoccurring. I have "fixed" it several times but it keeps coming back. I can see online that many people have the same problem. It started about a month ago. Windows 10 When will this be...
  10. Cannot type in search box

in Cortana
    Cannot type in search box: Hello all, The "improved" search box in Windows 10 v. 1909 is broken. 1) It shows one character at a time. - If I type "pdf" it displays "p" then only "d" then only "f". 2) Then it displays a box character (see picture below). 3) Clicking the arrow button does nothing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cannot type into File Explorer search box

2. cortana typing input 1909

3. cannot search from windows file explorer cannot type