Windows 10: Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD

Discus and support Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I have an odd issue with the 20H2 update for Windows 10. I installed yesterday and almost immediately started having issues as described... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by thekris1234, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD

Hi there,

I have an odd issue with the 20H2 update for Windows 10. I installed yesterday and almost immediately started having issues as described below.

Intermittently the system seems to hang. I can still move the cursor and I can still interact with apps and open the start menu. However, clicking Restart or Shut down does nothing. I can't open new applications and when I open task manager I cannot end any tasks.

Another interesting thing about task manager is that it only shows 1 CPU core and the graph only updates for 1 second before stopping. The only way to fix all these issues is to force restart my PC.

I have since rolled back to the previous version of Windows 10 and everything is working again.

Anyone else had similar issues?

:)

thekris1234, Feb 23, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Steevo Win User
    What's causing this BSOD?

Multiple versions of the same driver loading can cause issues, if nothing else it will eliminate crap from your system and rule them out as problematic. Once this is done I might suggest you open a "cmd" window with admin rights and run "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.

It checks system files for corruption, incorrect file version, hijacking and repairs the system if any are found.

Steevo, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD

HD 2600XT Hangs and Crashes

I can probably play cod4 or any other game really for about 45-60 minutes before my system hangs and my card crashes and my screen goes blank, i know its only my card because my system doesnt restart, my card fan stops running on full from its riva override, and soon thereafter my screen comes back on in 800x600 and i cant access the card's drivers to change the res or anything, so when it hangs and crashes i just resort to manually restarting.

one thing i think i could try is to bite the bit and install the latest drivers, i've been holding off on that.

but if there's anything else anyone can think of, or if someone has had the same problem as me. go for it and give me some suggestions.

in before buy the 4870. (already on my wish list)

xstayxtruex, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD

1. Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD - Similar Threads - Version 20H2 causing

2. Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.: Hello, I have done a clean install of windows 10 20h2 and have download and installed all the updates, the Problem I am facing is when I shutdown my laptop windows 10 say getting windows ready do not turn you computer off, this all that happens windows does not shutdown....
  3. Writing to/from USB causes Windows 10 ,20H2 to crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Writing to/from USB causes Windows 10 ,20H2 to crash: I installed this version early March and ever since my HP ZBook continually BlSOD when I write to / from any USB. I have run updates to no avail. Devcice Manager checked for updated drivers but all are current USB ports are all recognised and I can navigate through the...
  4. Windows 10 settings crashes version 20H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 settings crashes version 20H2: I recently upgraded Windows to version 20H2. Since then, when I try to open settings it just crashes on me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-settings-crashes-version-20h2/ce88ca57-e10d-4851-982a-a72cd0034c09
  5. spoolsv.exe keeps crashing in Windows 10 version 20H2

spoolsv.exe keeps crashing in Windows 10 version 20H2: Hi The spool service used to crash randomly but would work find when I do a restart in services. However, from today it has been crashing every single time I try to print any document on ANY printer physical or virtual. Device details: HP Envy x360 i7 7th Gen, 12GB RAM OS...
  6. Windows 10 20H2 update causing serious hanging issues - unusable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 20H2 update causing serious hanging issues - unusable: I have a machine which has just been updated to 20H2 build 19042.630 and it has rendered my machine unusable. Almost any operation which interreacts with the "file open/save" dialog box causes the application using that to "hang". Task Manager says the process is "Not...
  7. Recurring BSODs on windows, crashes and system hangs on linux.

Recurring BSODs on windows, crashes and system hangs on linux.: Hi all. I have an Asus FX570UD laptop running windows 10, Ubuntu 18 and Ubuntu 20. Everything used to work fine until one day I had a BSOD with a stop code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. And since then, I almost have it daily. My windows suddenly lags a lot and soon a BSOD. Same...
  8. searchUI.exe causes Windows 10 Pro system to hang

searchUI.exe causes Windows 10 Pro system to hang: I have a Windows 10 Pro system that is fully updated. My computer is a dual Xeon 2.4ghz system with 48gb of ram and an EVGA Nvidia GTX 1660 Super video card. The problem that I'm having is that when the system is idle it freezes. When it is in use I rarely get this...
  9. Brand new HDD hanging up, causing BSOD and Windows crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Brand new HDD hanging up, causing BSOD and Windows crashes: Hey guys! So, I have been dealing with a lot of problems related to hard drives this last week. My main HDD died on me after 2 years or so, and I got a brand new Seagate 1TB today and for my surprise the same problems appeared. The hard drive do an usual noise like an...
  10. Windows 10 causing system crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 causing system crashes: Hi everyone, Just before I start, I thought i'd mention that this is a sort of last resort so hopefully someone on here has more knowledge than the people who have already looked into this issue. OK.... I've got a custom built gaming pc which was running windows 7, ran...