Windows 10: Windows 10 version 20H2 keeps changing default PDF association to Edge

Discus and support Windows 10 version 20H2 keeps changing default PDF association to Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, I'm troubleshooting for a user at our company. Several times a day, her Windows 10 (version 20H2) resets the default PDF association to Edge.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Ultra1000, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Ultra1000 Win User

Windows 10 version 20H2 keeps changing default PDF association to Edge

Hello,

I'm troubleshooting for a user at our company.

Several times a day, her Windows 10 (version 20H2) resets the default PDF association to Edge.

If she changes the association back to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, it sticks for an indeterminate amount of time, then Windows pops up another notification saying an error occurred and the PDF file extension was associated to Edge.

I've tried setting the association via the file properties dialog, and also through Default Apps in Settings>Apps>Default Apps. I also tried setting the option in Edge to always open PDF files externally... no luck.

When that didn't work (the association reset again after I finished the session on her computer), I later tried re-installing Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

I've read countless forums about this issue, and most posts seem to be from as far back as 2015...2018...even some in 2020, but nobody seems to have nailed a solution for this yet.

Does anyone have the slightest idea how to stop Windows from exhibiting this behavior? Preferably, it would be best so it does not reassign any file association on its own.

Help please?

:)

Ultra1000, Feb 9, 2021
  2. NS_2017 Win User

Edge keeps replacing Adobe as default PDF viewer

Microsoft Edge keeps reverting to the default PDF viewer and it's extremely frustrating. I believe it occurs whenever I unzip files using winzip. I know how to reset the default application but it's time consuming doing it once or twice every day and shouldn't
    be necessary.

Why does it keep changing back to Microsoft Edge and how can I stop this?

Can i remove Microsoft Edge completely?

Why does Adobe not appear in the default programs list? How can I add this to the list as if it did appear the steps to change the default viewer would be quicker.

NS_2017, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Stephen_C Win User
    Default associations for .HTM .HTML and .PDF keep reverting to Edge

Default associations for .HTM .HTML and .PDF keep reverting to Edge. No matter how I try to change either through File Explorer or Control Panel > Default Programs, it will always revert back to Edge. It is intolerable. Is there a known issue here? Or
    how do I go about uninstalling Edge because that doesn't seem possible either?

Stephen_C, Feb 9, 2021
  4. Windows 10 version 20H2 keeps changing default PDF association to Edge

Override Edge from PDF default

Hi Chris,

I realize that all web-based PDF pop open EDGE. I will try to help you with this issue.

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    Follow the steps to set the default programs and check if that helps.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.
    Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.

If the issue persists, follow these additional steps and check if that helps.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program option from the window.

• Click on the file type or protocol that you want to change and click on Change program.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.
    Close the window after setting the programs defaults and check if the changes are effective.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 version 20H2 keeps changing default PDF association to Edge

1. Windows 10 version 20H2 keeps changing default PDF association to Edge - Similar Threads - version 20H2 keeps

2. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????: Really annoying that for some reason Windows 10 keeps changing my PDF file association from Acrobat to Edge. I have tried so many times to try to prevent this behaviour with no luck. I have tried to disable everything I can think of related to Edge, but I can't uninstall...
  3. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????: Really annoying that for some reason Windows 10 keeps changing my PDF file association from Acrobat to Edge. I have tried so many times to try to prevent this behaviour with no luck. I have tried to disable everything I can think of related to Edge, but I can't uninstall...
  4. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. PDF file association is hijacked by Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF file association is hijacked by Edge: Hello! Edge is set as the default app for pdf files even though I never wanted this... the thing is that Edge should be fully uninstalled since I've used 3rd party scripts to remove bloat from my windows system, but now I can't change file associations for pdfs no matter what...
  6. PDF file association is hijacked by Edge

PDF file association is hijacked by Edge: Hello! Edge is set as the default app for pdf files even though I never wanted this... the thing is that Edge should be fully uninstalled since I've used 3rd party scripts to remove bloat from my windows system, but now I can't change file associations for pdfs no matter what...
  7. PDF Associations Changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF Associations Changing: On multiple comptuers Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge keep switcing the associations. So all PDF are opening through these browsers even when Adobe DC is installed on the computer. Some things I have tried:- Uninstalling Chrome- Clearing temp files- Switching the associations...
  8. PDF Associations Changing

PDF Associations Changing: On multiple comptuers Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge keep switcing the associations. So all PDF are opening through these browsers even when Adobe DC is installed on the computer. Some things I have tried:- Uninstalling Chrome- Clearing temp files- Switching the associations...
  9. PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by Edge: Windows 10 Enterprise I don't want to use Edge. I use Chrome and Acrobat Reader DC. This happens to me constantly... I have the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC and Chrome, and Edge keeps stealing .PDF, but no other extensions. I have tried all of the proper...
  10. Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge: I have a computer in my organization that keeps switching the default PDF reader to Edge. We have wiped the profile and rebuilt it, replaced the laptop with a new fresh image to no avail. The users default PDF reader keeps switching from Adobe DC Pro to Edge. We do not...