Windows 10: Windows 10 version Updates: System Protection Defaults to Off

Discus and support Windows 10 version Updates: System Protection Defaults to Off in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; FYI: I've noticed that after version updates in Windows 10 the System protection settings default to "Off". It's easy to correct by opening the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Caddy Mick, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Windows 10 version Updates: System Protection Defaults to Off

FYI:

I've noticed that after version updates in Windows 10 the System protection settings default to "Off". It's easy to correct by opening the System Properties -> System Protection Tab but would be preferable if it defaulted to "On".

Windows 10 version Updates: System Protection Defaults to Off 7b2562d6-f766-4b78-8c9f-cc36bdfecc52?upload=true.jpg

:)

Caddy Mick, Jul 11, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 11, 2018
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done *Smile I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 11, 2018
  4. jsfitz54 Win User

Windows 10 version Updates: System Protection Defaults to Off

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 version Updates: System Protection Defaults to Off

1. Windows 10 version Updates: System Protection Defaults to Off - Similar Threads - version Updates System

2. System Protection is Off

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Protection is Off: Hello,After the system's upgrade, "System Protection" is (still) Off, so there is no restore point.Since I have "Macrium Reflect" and make in 3 days cycle one full backup then a differential, and so on.If there is a need (sometimes), I restore with Macrium.Is it important to...
  3. System Protection is Off

in Windows 10 Support
    System Protection is Off: Hello,After the system's upgrade, "System Protection" is (still) Off, so there is no restore point.Since I have "Macrium Reflect" and make in 3 days cycle one full backup then a differential, and so on.If there is a need (sometimes), I restore with Macrium.Is it important to...
  4. Tamper Protection turned off by default?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tamper Protection turned off by default?: Hey guys, Recently got an iBuyPower PC about two weeks ago. Today i noticed that my Tamper Protection was disabled in the Antivirus settings. I read that all build of windows 1903 and up should have this enabled by default. I never made this change myself so I'm confused why...
  5. Virus protection off after upgrade to Windows 10 version 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virus protection off after upgrade to Windows 10 version 1909: Upgraded two Windows 10 computers from 1903 to 1909 using Optional choice that showed up on Windows Update. Both computers upon first boot showed warning icon for Windows Security. After opening WIndows Security, both computers showed that Virus & Threat protection were off....
  6. Is system restore be default turned off in windows 10 enterprise

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is system restore be default turned off in windows 10 enterprise: I have installed windows 10 on the machine and system restore is disabled ? is it by desgin that system restore is disabled and we would have to enable it via GPO or maually...
  7. System Protection ON/OFF differences in Feature updates

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Protection ON/OFF differences in Feature updates: Opinions please. Sometimes I’d like to be able to explain to people I help as to what’s going on. For those whose computers need System Protection to be turned ON, it’s confusing them as to why. Is there rhyme or reason or technicalities as to how it’s determined that some...
  8. System Protection Turned Off

in Windows 10 Support
    System Protection Turned Off: After the upgrade from 8.1 pro to 10, i noticed system protection was turned off. I went ahead and turned it back on and moved the slider back to ten percent. Any reason why the upgrade turned it off? Any reason not to turn it on? Thanks, Mike 9926
  9. Anniversary Update switches off System Protection

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Anniversary Update switches off System Protection: This post is just to let people know something I found after doing the AU. If there is a better place to post it, please feel free to move it. When checking I noticed that my Restore Points have all been deleted and System Restore has been reset to OFF. If you want to use...
  10. Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10 System protection is a feature that allows you to undo unwanted system changes by being able to do a System Restore. System Restore enables...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 system protection reset defaults