Windows 10: Windows 10 version vs External DVD drive

Discus and support Windows 10 version vs External DVD drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A new external USB DVD drive works on some Windows 10 computers but not others. VLC Media Player 3.0.11 would not play a DVD with the new drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve_P-, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Steve_P- Win User

Windows 10 version vs External DVD drive

A new external USB DVD drive works on some Windows 10 computers but not others. VLC Media Player 3.0.11 would not play a DVD with the new drive attached to a fairly new laptop with Windows 10 pro. It did work on an older laptop with Windows 10 enterprise version 17134. It did not work on a desktop with Windows 10 home version 19041. The older laptop and the desktop installed the same USB DVD driver. When the DVD was put in the internal drive on that same desktop, VLC had not problems with it. In all cases, the DVD was listed in Windows Explorer. I had similar results when trying to use VLC to play a music CD on the different systems. Windows Media Player could play a music CD in the external drive even when VLC could not.

When trying to play a DVD, VLC gave error messages such as “VLC unable to open to open the MRL file://f:video_ts_vts.....”.

How can I fix this?

:)

Steve_P-, Nov 23, 2020

2. Windows 10 and External DVD drive

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I would suggest you to open the device manager and check if the drive shows up in device manager.

Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open device manager.

3. Expand DVD/CD-Rom drives and check if the external DVD drive is listed.

4. If so, right click on it and uninstall it.

5. Restart the computer.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Nov 23, 2020
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 23, 2020
  4. lksockey Win User

external dvd drive and windows 10

After having to reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop my computer will not read from my external dvd drive. Suggestions??

lksockey, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 version vs External DVD drive - Similar Threads - version External DVD

2. windows 11 dvd external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 dvd external drive: I have a HP Envy laptop. Since installing Windows 11, I am no longer able to play DVDs on my external drive. Windows Explorer sees the drive but neither VLC or Leawo can actually play the disk. HP Support tells me this is a Windows 11 issue....
  3. windows 11 dvd external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 dvd external drive: I have a HP Envy laptop. Since installing Windows 11, I am no longer able to play DVDs on my external drive. Windows Explorer sees the drive but neither VLC or Leawo can actually play the disk. HP Support tells me this is a Windows 11 issue....
  4. Using an external DVD drive with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using an external DVD drive with Windows 10: ,I am a long time Windows user who changed over to Mac Pro for a while and now I am back to Microsoft, having recently purchased a Surface Pro. I was annoyed that Microsoft removed a DVD player/writer as standard equipment in the Surface unit. I tried purchasing several...
  5. CD/DVD external drive

CD/DVD external drive: When trying to eject a disc from a external driver. I get the following error message: An errer occurred while ejecting yje cd. What does this mean and how do i fix this problem?...
  6. Windows 10 vs. DVD

Windows 10 vs. DVD: Hi to all If Frederik Long reads this; I appreciate your response to my recent tirade, which was not directed at individuals, but was the result of 3 weeks of frustration. This is my first post, it is true, but I have been attempting to resolve the problem as set out below,...
  7. external dvd drive

external dvd drive: can't find my external drive to download softwear on this computer. it is plugged in by usb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-dvd-drive/8881c714-98f4-43a2-82b9-704293bd6ad2
  8. External CD/DVD drives

External CD/DVD drives: After the last Windows update my Computer does not see the external drive. When I connect an external drive the is an indication by the computer that a device has been inserted, but when I go to This Computer it does not show a CD or DVD external drive. Worked well befor...
  9. External dvd drive

External dvd drive: I'm trying to connect a cocopa external dvd reader with no success. Any ideas why it's not connecting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/external-dvd-drive/89b08ee8-6e6d-4287-a820-3526daeb1b49
  10. Windows 10 from external DVD Drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 from external DVD Drive?: Can I install Windows 10 using an external DVD Drive on a new PC build? 43345