Windows 10: Windows 10 version1809 update OSBuild 17763.253 wiped my friend's files

Discus and support Windows 10 version1809 update OSBuild 17763.253 wiped my friend's files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I had a panic phone call 20/1/2019 today from a friend who has a laptop where the Windows 10 version1809 update OSBuild 17763.253 had been force... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RolyTK, Jan 20, 2019.

1. RolyTK Win User

Windows 10 version1809 update OSBuild 17763.253 wiped my friend's files

Hi

I had a panic phone call 20/1/2019 today from a friend who has a laptop where the Windows 10 version1809 update OSBuild 17763.253 had been force installed onto his laptop and it had wiped all of his Documents, Pictures, Music files etc. I have googled the problem and it seems Microsoft were aware of this problem back in October 2018. Please help.

:)

RolyTK, Jan 20, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 20, 2019
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Jan 20, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 version1809 update OSBuild 17763.253 wiped my friend's files - Similar Threads - version1809 update OSBuild

2. Windows 10 22h2 won't update past 17763

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 22h2 won't update past 17763: I had to reset my PC using a flash drive I received from the company that I bought my PC from a few years back, and now have to completely redownload all the updates from Windows from over the years, but now Windows Update appears to be constantly downloading an update, while...
  3. Activation on Windows 10 17763

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation on Windows 10 17763: Split from this thread. Hi I've been part of the Windows Insider Programme from its inception. I'm running Windows 10 Pro - a free upgrade/migration from Windows 7 and then via Windows 8. For the last few years I have seldom done much development, except migrating from...
  4. Bluetooth not working on Windows 10 update build 17763

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth not working on Windows 10 update build 17763: Two days ago Windows 10 did a forced update and is currently showing build 17763 in sysinfo. Since then I cannot connect to Bluetooth devices, nor remove a device to try to fix that problem. Windows won't remove the device through the Control Panel, nor if I stop and start...
  5. windows update wiped my personal files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update wiped my personal files: At midnight today, my windows 10 pro updated to os build 17763.648 When I logged on this morning at 5, all photos, documents and files were gone. All folders empty. Seems like Windows got reinstalled without keeping any of my important personal files.. I tried a restore...
  6. my clipboard service is not working after windows 10 version1809

in Windows 10 Customization
    my clipboard service is not working after windows 10 version1809: yesterday when i download and installed windows 10 1809 update my clipboard is working when i press windows key+ v ,but after shutting down and opening the computer after sometime when i press the windows + v my clipboard is not opening also i have checked that i have...
  7. Windows 10 Features Update to Version1809

Windows 10 Features Update to Version1809: Why is this taking SOOO long to install? Slow as molasses. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-features-update-to-version1809/0e973231-ac0f-4d70-bfb7-36fb0f6f9058
  8. Windows 10 Profssional 10 1809 osBuild 17763-134 Window Security Auditing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Profssional 10 1809 osBuild 17763-134 Window Security Auditing: Hi: If any body familiar to this issue let me know what is this information, or is this cause of slow start. My System: HP Envy !6GB Ram, 3TB HD Windows 10 Profssional 10 1809 osBuild 17763-134. Thanks for your help. Log Name: Security Source:...
  9. Windows 10 Profssional 10 1809 osBuild 17763-134 Window Security Auditing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Profssional 10 1809 osBuild 17763-134 Window Security Auditing: Hi: If any body familiar to this issue let me know what is this information, or is this cause of slow start. My System: HP Envy !6GB Ram, 3TB HD Windows 10 Profssional 10 1809 osBuild 17763-134. Thanks for your help. Log Name: Security Source:...
  10. Windows 10 Feature update Version1809

Windows 10 Feature update Version1809: I successfully downloaded the above to my desktop computer and a laptop but on both items after the installation I got the message to restart,on carrying this out and restarting nothing is happening as to the update on both computers and the existing Wndows versions remain.I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. OSBuild 17763.1