Windows 10: Windows 10 Volume Control Issue

Discus and support Windows 10 Volume Control Issue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently updated a Windows 7 PC to Windows 10. After the update, the speaker icon in the Task Bar Tray no longer functions properly. In the past,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Enxss, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Enxss Win User

Windows 10 Volume Control Issue

I recently updated a Windows 7 PC to Windows 10. After the update, the speaker icon in the Task Bar Tray no longer functions properly. In the past, when I clicked on the icon a slide bar would appear that allowed the volume to be adjusted up or down. This no longer occurs. I did review the Windows help files and it was recommended that I do the following:

1. Right click on the Task Bar
    2. Click Task Manager
    3. Scroll down to Windows Explorer
    4. Right click Windows Explorer and choose Restart

After Windows Explorer restarts the speaker icon in the Task Bar Tray functions as expected. i.e. a slide bar appears when the icon is clicked which allows the volume to be adjusted up and down. However, when the system is restarted the speaker icon no longer functions as expected. Is there a way to correct this issue so that the volume control functions properly without having to go though the steps outlined above each time Windows is started?

In addition, I also tried running the "sfc /scannow" command. See below. Despite finding and repairing corrupted files the issue was not resolved.

And, finally, I confirmed that the most current driver for the default Playback device is installed.

i.e. Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers > Realtek High Definition Audio.

Can anyone offer any further suggestions to address the issue?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

:)

Enxss, Jan 26, 2020

2. volume control error

Hi Akash,

The issue with volume control could have happened due to the corrupted or outdated driver. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the 2 methods below:

Method 1: Run the Audio Troubleshooter on the system.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Sound. We would suggest you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Audio

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key+X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view as an option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the playing Audio troubleshooter

Method 2. Uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.

Follow the steps to update the audio drivers:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.
    • Right-click on the Sound card and click on Uninstall.
    • Install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer website.

Let us know the result for us to assist you further.

Anthony Gal, Jan 26, 2020
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    Windows 10 volume control popup missing

Hi Hans,

We'd like to know more about the issue you're currently experiencing with the Windows 10 volume control. Please answer these questions:

• When did the issue start to happen?
    • What build of Windows 10 are you currently installed with?
    • Were there any changes/updates to your device prior to the issue happening?
    • Any troubleshooting steps you've done so far to resolve the issue?

We'll be looking forward for your update.

Ian Ser, Jan 26, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Volume Control Issue

Volume Control

Hi, Tobe.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

• Are you referring to the system volume control or any other music software that you are using?
    • Are you increasing it using the keyboard arrows or through the dedicated volume button that is present in your system?
    If you are referring to the systems volume control then I would suggest that you increase and decrease the volume by using the lest and right arrow keys and check if the same issue exist.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly

Vanessa Sohtun, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Volume Control Issue

1. Windows 10 Volume Control Issue - Similar Threads - Volume Control Issue

2. Audio volume control issue is back.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio volume control issue is back.: I had posted a question about my HP laptop with AMD ryzen+radeon chips running windows 11 22H2. I managed to fix it based on a response posted here. I updated the bios from HP site. That fixed the audio volume control problem. The slider now changed the volume correctly. Well...
  3. Audio volume control issue is back.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio volume control issue is back.: I had posted a question about my HP laptop with AMD ryzen+radeon chips running windows 11 22H2. I managed to fix it based on a response posted here. I updated the bios from HP site. That fixed the audio volume control problem. The slider now changed the volume correctly. Well...
  4. Bluetooth Headphones Volume Control Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth Headphones Volume Control Issue: Hi,I've bought various bluetooth headphones recently to connect to my Windows 11 computer, but no matter what kind I buy, cheap or expensive, they all have the same issue in that they increase/decrease the volume in intervals of 6. Usually when you raise/lower the volume on...
  5. WINDOWS 11 ISSUE WITH TOUCHPAD VOLUME CONTROLS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS 11 ISSUE WITH TOUCHPAD VOLUME CONTROLS: I have set up four finger gesture to control media volume on my PC but on windows 11 when I use it to control when using Bluetooth headphones it is not as smooth as it was when using windows 10....
  6. WINDOWS 11 ISSUE WITH TOUCHPAD VOLUME CONTROLS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS 11 ISSUE WITH TOUCHPAD VOLUME CONTROLS: I have set up four finger gesture to control media volume on my PC but on windows 11 when I use it to control when using Bluetooth headphones it is not as smooth as it was when using windows 10....
  7. Bluetooth volume control issues

Bluetooth volume control issues: I have an "ortho remote" https://teenage.engineering/products/orthoremote Bluetooth audio control controlling volume, play/pause, etc from teenage.engineering. In Windows 10 21H1 19043.1110, changing the volume on the remote is unpredictable; when I change the volume it...
  8. volume control in windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    volume control in windows 10: all of a sudden when I click on the horn symbol so I can increase the volume, it won't open up. How do I fix that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-control-in-windows-10/3132f358-d3bf-4fc9-980e-31d947e5ee0a
  9. Bluetooth speaker - volume control issue

Bluetooth speaker - volume control issue: Hi My speaker is Alfa link BTS 475. All used to work great, I was able to control volume from Windows, it was independent from the physical control on the speaker. Then I did update windows. but, i forgot the version of update. Now when i press button "volume up"...
  10. Volume Control Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Volume Control Issue: When I'm in my browser playing YouTube (or anywhere in my browser) with my earbuds, the volume control won't change the volume unless I reload the page so the only way I can control my volume is to use the YouTube audio controls. How do I fix this? submitted by...