Windows 10: Windows 10 VPNs not connecting; DNS Client disabled and greyed out; An error has occurred...

Discus and support Windows 10 VPNs not connecting; DNS Client disabled and greyed out; An error has occurred... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About 2-3 months ago my Windows 10 VPNs stopped being able to connect; when trying to edit the network connection, I get "an unexpected error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnemariDW, Sep 19, 2019.

1. AnemariDW Win User

Windows 10 VPNs not connecting; DNS Client disabled and greyed out; An error has occurred...

About 2-3 months ago my Windows 10 VPNs stopped being able to connect; when trying to edit the network connection, I get "an unexpected error occurred"; troubleshooting led me to discover that my DNS Client is disabled and greyed out so I am unable to restart it - tried all manner of resetting it to no avail.

URGENT assistance desperately required.

:)

AnemariDW, Sep 19, 2019
  2. eeps24 Win User

Best FREE vpn client? Need to connect to my home VPN

I created a remote access VPN (l2tp/ipsec) on my router at my house. If I want to connect to my VPN server remotely ,what do you suggest as a good free vpn client?

I know windows 10 has a built in vpn client, but would I notice any improvments (speed, stability, etc) using like cisco anywhere connect or any other free vpn clients?

eeps24, Sep 19, 2019
  3. Windows 10 DNS-Server order when connected via LAN and establishing a VPN Connection

Hi Gil,

the internet Service Provider can't help me. It's Windows 10 related. Everytime when I establish a connection with Ethernet (LAN) to a network (does no matter which ISP), i get an IP and I can surf in the internet. But when I establish an VPN connection
    on that Ethernet Connection, then my DNS will be set to the Ethernet Connection DNS-Server NOT to the VPN-Connection DNS-Server.

In this scenario my VPN-Connection gets a higher Metric as my Ethernet ( Cable bound LAN) connection.

Lan-Connection (Ethernet) Metric 5

VPN-Connection Metric 15

When I establish a WIFI connection to the same Router I can surf in the Internet. Then I establish an VPN-Connection an the DNS-Server will be set to the VPN-Connection configured DNS-Server.

In this scenario my VPN-Connection gets a lower Metric as my Wifi connection.

Wifi-Connection Metric 35

VPN-Connection Metric 25

Both Connections are preferred. So the connection with the better Metric wins.

It's not related to the ISP. He has nothing to do with the "automatic" Metric setting in my Windows 10 Client.

Thomas Voß, Sep 19, 2019
  4. drueter Win User

Windows 10 VPNs not connecting; DNS Client disabled and greyed out; An error has occurred...

Win 10: DNS resolution of remote network via VPN connection not working

Changing the metric worked for me, but my situation was a little different:

DNS resolution with my VPN had been working flawlessly with Win10 (first with Preview, then with RTM, always kept up-to-date) using Dell SonicWALL NetExtender (currently version 7.5.223)

Then this morning DNS resolution with my VPN stopped working suddenly. I hadn't explicitly made any changes or installed any updates or software. Perhaps an automatic update broke things.

Though the VPN still connected fine, and though the interface binding order HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\LanmanServer\Linkage\Bind was properly updated on connection of the VPN (i.e. the VPN's interface was added to the top of the list),
    NSLOOKUP would use my LAN's DNS servers rather than the VPN's DNS servers. The VPN client was however showing properly-configured DNS servers.

In my case I was unable to open TCP/IPv4 properties for the "SonicWALL NetExtender" interface: the "Properties" button was displayed as being active, but clicking on it did nothing / did not open a properties dialog.

So instead I went to TCP/IPv4 properties for my Ethernet interface, clicked Advanced, and unchecked "Automatic metric", and assigned an arbitrary metric of 100.

After doing this DNS resolution once again works properly: When the VPN is connected the VPN interface's DNS servers are used. When the VPN is not connected, the Ethernet interface's DNS servers are used.

drueter, Sep 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 VPNs not connecting; DNS Client disabled and greyed out; An error has occurred... - Similar Threads - VPNs connecting DNS

2. Windows DNS Client Not Querying Specified DNS Server Without Connection Specific Suffix

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows DNS Client Not Querying Specified DNS Server Without Connection Specific Suffix: We have 3 DCs, all running the DNS role. These servers hold the records for the domain itself but also "external" records using split-horizon DNS. IP Addresses for the servers are all static whereas the clients all have DHCP-assigned addresses.Currently, we are testing a new...
  3. Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start: Hello,We are using Windows 10 V1809. "Application Publishing Service" and "Remote Desktop Services" cannot start. I checked Event Logs and show this logs that happens often."The DNS client service terminated with the following error. The specified module could not be found."I...
  4. Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start: Hello,We are using Windows 10 V1809. "Application Publishing Service" and "Remote Desktop Services" cannot start. I checked Event Logs and show this logs that happens often."The DNS client service terminated with the following error. The specified module could not be found."I...
  5. dns client site

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dns client site: When i go to a certain site my computer comes up with dns_probe_finished_nxdomain. the wierd thing is i shut off automatic restart of the dns client in the services via the registery and the site worked. It's just one site. should i leave dns client disabled because...
  6. dns client site

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dns client site: When i go to a certain site my computer comes up with dns_probe_finished_nxdomain. the wierd thing is i shut off automatic restart of the dns client in the services via the registery and the site worked. It's just one site. should i leave dns client disabled because...
  7. DNS Client error

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS Client error: Been having trouble getting into calls recently. Checked event viewer and it says "Name resolution for the *** timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." Censored part changes between wpad and some other applications that are running at the time. Ran sfc...
  8. How to enable the DNS Client Service if greyed out in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable the DNS Client Service if greyed out in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Accessing the internet on your Windows computer is a complex process, and the DNS […] This article How to enable the DNS Client Service if greyed out in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. DNS Client

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS Client: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client Date: 16-04-2020 15:47:58 Event ID: 8020 Task Category: 1028 Level: Warning Keywords: User: NETWORK SERVICE Computer: Hostname Description: The system failed...
  10. my windows 10 DNS client service is graid out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my windows 10 DNS client service is graid out: Sir I have a windows 10 workstation, and its not discovering any of my other computer in the house. when checked the DNS Client Service is Grayed out, not allowing to start. I really appreciate if you can help me to resolve this issue Thanks Raguram ollakal 5712085244...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dns client in windows 10 greyed out