Windows 10: Windows 10 vs Windows XP (Pros and Cons)

Discus and support Windows 10 vs Windows XP (Pros and Cons) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; There are several behaviors of Windows 10 that remind me of Windows XP. While I may get overly rambunctious with how great XP was and how 10 leaves me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Perez78, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Perez78 Win User

Windows 10 vs Windows XP (Pros and Cons)

There are several behaviors of Windows 10 that remind me of Windows XP. While I may get overly rambunctious with how great XP was and how 10 leaves me wanting, I first wish to address the features 10 offers, which are clear improvements over XP. Secondly, I hope others also mention the things they enjoy about 10, and what (if anything) it could do better. Thirdly, hopefully, all of this helps Microsoft create customizations that work for a broader range of people in varying communities.

There are clear improvements Windows 10 has over Windows XP. First, it has a search function on the Quick Access Toolbar. Second, there are tiles in the "Start Menu". Third, the icons in the toolbar are more intuitive. It is possible I have grown as a power user and this is why I can tell what each icon represents. However, it is just as possible that Windows is doing a better job of picking icons for things like battery, speakers, WIFI, and the Cloud.

I have been using Windows for the majority of my life. I knew full well that one day I would no longer be able to use Windows XP. There are certain features I miss. To be overly honest about my fear, I did not want to tell Microsoft about how I desire certain features in XP to replace the newer features in 10, because my opinion should not override the needs of other Windows consumers. Something I have feared that happens all too often in the business world is a handful of consumers giving feedback on products and their feedback changes the product so it works great for the few and is a downgrade for the many. All this is why I would love to create a Pros and Cons list here on Microsoft's forum. Hopefully, we will figure out a way to let Microsoft know how we perceive Windows. Granted, the subject is about Windows 10 and Windows XP, because it is useful to have a concrete example of two products, I hope that eventually, we extend this subject to all Windows OSes. I believe that settings is a great solution as to how to let people customize their Windows experience.

Unlike my wish to address the things 10 does right, first, I am about to address the things that feel like downgrades to me. First, in Windows XP, I could do a bunch of things with my keyboard. Suppose, I am looking at a folder. In that folder, I wish to create a new MS Word document. I would only need to press the alt key, a series of buttons, and voila a new word document would appear. The new document would have the default name highlighted. This would allow me to type any name as the user sees fit. However, in Windows 10, if I am looking at a folder, the only new thing I can easily create is another folder. If I were to navigate the Home Menu, I would need to press alt + H, which would open the menu. Then I would press w (for new). Next, I would press the down keyboard button until "Microsoft Word Document" is highlighted. Pressing enter would create a new word document. Now, I don't know about you, but the arrow keys on my keyboard are placed such that I need to move my hand and look at them. This process is not exactly seamless. After all this, I would once again be able to type in the name for the document as I see fit. Clearly, at least to me, this is a verbose explanation of a Windows 10 con.

Please allow me to restate the previous con in different words. In Windows 10, I can press the alt key while a folder window is active. This displays several characters on the screen. Each character is a hotkey that opens a menu. Once the menu is open, several new hotkeys appear. Unfortunately, opening a submenu only exposes a limited number of newer hotkeys for the menu contents. My guess is that most users are okay with the limited number because the majority of Windows users only typically use those items. I, too, agree that only a limited number should be visible because I would be overwhelmed if all of them had a hotkey. Unfortunately, the ones I got very used to in XP are no longer available.

There are several ways that Windows 10 could solve this hotkey problem. First, if I were able to right-click the option and select "Customize hotkey" in the right-click menu, then I would be able to specify the hotkey I wish to assign to that particular menu option. Second, somewhere in Windows Settings, the user can specify keyboard shortcuts and assigning hotkeys to menus and their options.

The second con has to do with clicking the folder icon in the "Quick Access Taskbar". Most of the time I enjoy seeing the recently opened files. There are times when I wish to go automatically to my documents instead. Being able to do both makes sense to me. If there were two similar icons for navigating my documents, one for recently opened files and another for seeing the folders within "My Documents", this would solve the problem. The main reason for this gripe is that in Windows XP, I took for granted being able to click once and type. I would click the icon. It would open the folder. Then I could search for the right folder by pressing a key. The key would be the first letter of the name of the folder. Pressing the key would highlight that folder. From there, I could either decide if I highlighted the desired folder or press the enter key to view the contents of the folder. Now in Windows 10, I still need to break myself of the habit of releasing the mouse after merely clicking once.

For both of these cons, I am very much open to suggestions as to how to work-around them. As I hopefully mentioned earlier, I do hope this post becomes a discussion on what Windows 10 does right, what it does wrong, and what could be done a little bit better.

:)

Perez78, Dec 2, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 2, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Windows 10 vs Windows XP (Pros and Cons)

OEM Pros/Cons

I wanted to know what people thought of the OEMs they had to deal with mostly in regards to the following subjects:
    • Customer Service
    • Warranty Repair
    • Non-Warranty Repair
    • Driver Support
    • Customizing the Computer for Specific Needs
    • Bloatedness of new Computers
    • Inflated Price
    • Sign-Me-Ups
    • Technical Support
    • Freebies (Software on Disks--Stuff that is preinstalled goes under Bloatness)
    Fanboyism is not permitted here. Try to be focused on points that are good and bad.

I'll start with a few...
    Dell
    Pros
    • Drivers were available when needed.
    • System Restore disks (when provided) appear to be relatively clean.
    Cons
    • Driver disks include multiple hardware configurations so you don't know exactly which drivers are needed.
    • The driver disk uses a web format which means all the shortfalls of a website (have to "save as..." everything).
    • Some of their case designs are ridiculous (folding this way and that way).
    HP
    Cons
    • Seven disks to reinstall Windows XP--bloated to the heavens.
    Toshiba
    Pros
    • Customer Service speaks English.
    • Customer Service tried their best to remedy my issues.
    Cons
    • No drivers available for my specific model (web or otherwise).
    • Customized model shipped over a week after purchase directly from China. I got the bag long before I got the laptop.
    • No disks, what-so-ever, included with laptop purchase.
    • Technical Support would not lift a finger to get me a disk that "I could install Windows Vista Ultimate from after erasing the entire hard drive with DoD 5220.22 M compliant method."
    • Over 80 running processes on first boot (and this was a business-class computer)--bloated with no erase means to get rid of it.

Lenovo
    Pros
    • Solid construction.
    • Lots of features.
    Cons
    • Six or seven disks to reinstall windows from scratch--bloated.
    • Some included software (backup or something) caused the OS to be irreversibly damaged. One tech spent three hours to clean up some of the mess. I spent another four hours erasing, installing, and deleting everything that may have originally caused the problem (Lenovo software).
    • Warranty extensions are extremely expensive.
    • Generally more expensive than most.

Systemax
    Pros
    • All systems include at least one disk: System Restore (basically a Windows disk--no extras).
    • Most systems include an additional disk: Applications & Driver (is what it says).
    • Solid construction.
    • Most parts included in machines you could buy from Tiger Direct (obviously not the case with laptops).
    • Customer Service and Tech Support speak English.
    • Customer Service is very helpful.
    • Every time I contacted Tech Support, I recieved a favorable outcome.
    • Machine-specific bundled software (very limited). For instance, a computer with a TV Tuner may come with Cyberlink software to run record and watch TV.
    • Sent CDs via phone request for software that came pre-installed (lost after erase).
    Cons
    • Limited selection of products and very few places to buy them from.
    • Generally more expensive than the competition.
    • Technology-wise, tends to be slightly behind the curve.
    • Techsupport is quick to have you send it in and don't seem to be a wealth of knowledge.
    • Service turn-around times are long (over a week).

Add to the list. This is a buyer-beware service. XD

FordGT90Concept, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 vs Windows XP (Pros and Cons)

1. Windows 10 vs Windows XP (Pros and Cons) - Similar Threads - Pros Cons

2. Change TDR value - Pros and Cons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change TDR value - Pros and Cons: HiI’ve recently been having issues with CTDs for Prepar3d v5.3 where I get crashes without an error log in the event logger, specifically using Aerosoft’s A330 professional add on. They are uncommon but they do happen enough to cause some concern. I’ve conversed with both...
  3. Change TDR value - Pros and Cons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change TDR value - Pros and Cons: HiI’ve recently been having issues with CTDs for Prepar3d v5.3 where I get crashes without an error log in the event logger, specifically using Aerosoft’s A330 professional add on. They are uncommon but they do happen enough to cause some concern. I’ve conversed with both...
  4. Change TDR value - Pros and Cons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. What are the pros and cons of publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What are the pros and cons of publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately?: I've been scouring the web for this question: What are the pros and cons of both publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately? It've not been successful in this endeavor, after lots of searching. I did find a whitepaper by Microsoft but nothing like what I'm looking for....
  6. What are the pros and cons of publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the pros and cons of publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately?: I've been scouring the web for this question: What are the pros and cons of both publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately? It've not been successful in this endeavor, after lots of searching. I did find a whitepaper by Microsoft but nothing like what I'm looking for....
  7. What are the pros and cons of publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Pros/Cons - Change storage location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pros/Cons - Change storage location: Hi Folks. I understand there are at least two ways of changing the default storage location for data 1. For each user, under Settings>System>Storage>Change where new content is saved. 2. By moving the location of the default user directories usingAdvanced System...
  9. What are the pros and cons of Windows 10 Pro N when compared to Pro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What are the pros and cons of Windows 10 Pro N when compared to Pro?: I can't really decide between the two of them. I'm from Europe, btw. From what I've read, I won't have these TV and Movies and Groovy Music apps of Windows which I don't use anyway. I prefer to use my own media tools. Does it also make differences privacy-wise? submitted...
  10. VHD created within OneDrive - any views? Pros and cons?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VHD created within OneDrive - any views? Pros and cons?: Somewhere I read about creating a VHD on OneDrive. Would appreciate views on this idea, also the pros and cons. Say I - would create VHD's on PC and laptop - applications should store their data within VHD (Office documents, Outlook (Exchange), PDFs, etc) - in most cases...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pros and cons of windows xp vs windows 10