Windows 10: Windows 10: waiting for programs to close when shutting down

Discus and support Windows 10: waiting for programs to close when shutting down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. In Windows 10 I have a problem using the GoodSync backup program.GoodSync is set to run backup when the system shuts down. In Windows 7,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Pintlich, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Pintlich Win User

Windows 10: waiting for programs to close when shutting down

Hello. In Windows 10 I have a problem using the GoodSync backup program.GoodSync is set to run backup when the system shuts down. In Windows 7, everything worked OK - the system started to shut down but waited for GoodSync to finish and then shut down.Now, however, the shutdown process is interrupted after about 60 seconds and returns to the desktop, and I have to press the PC again to shut down the computer.The point is that the backup takes about 20 minutes and I need it to finish and then the PC shuts down automatically.Is it possible to set Windows 10 to wait for a running program to finish its task when it shuts down and then shuts down?
    Thank you for your help.
    Jura

:)

Pintlich, Jan 17, 2020

2. waiting for programs to close on shut down

I just received this laptop. everything had been updated and working fine until last night when it started saying "waiting for programs to close" on every shut down, it included dde server, program manager, and task manager. this morning it was still doing
    it. now it only comes on with that message for a second and then the programs shut down and the laptop turns off. it starts up fine again. but again on shut down it will say programs are closing but sometimes it flashes by so quick I cant see which particular
    programs were trying to shut down. I spoke to an agent at Microsoft who told me the problem is advanced and wanted to charge me a service fee to fix it. is there something I can do to correct this problem.

CoalMineCanary, Jan 17, 2020
  3. waiting for programs to close on shut down

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

Please let us know if you are having any issues while using the laptop.

"Waiting for Background Programs to close" isn't really an error, it's a notification that asks you if you want to go ahead and "force" a shutdown. It also lists the tasks that are causing this condition so you'll know the
    cause.

The reason for this is could have an unsaved file open, Windows default background services, antivirus which may take time to close. It's really a nice feature because some applications stubbornly refuse to handle the exit
    they're supposed to take when Windows notifies them of a shutdown in progress.

How long does it take to shutdown?

It depends, it may be fast or it may be after a short while the computer shuts down.

I hope the above information helps. If you have any other queries related to windows , feel free to reply and I'll be happy to further assist you.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Jan 17, 2020
  4. Callender Win User

Cleaning and tweaking Windows

RE:
    • Sometimes windows hang if im trying to shut down my computer and asks me if i want to wait for my programs to close. I want windows to shut down my computer without asking me anything.

Enable fast shutdown tweaks all listed under (Step 13) here:

Optimize Performance of Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Callender, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10: waiting for programs to close when shutting down - Similar Threads - waiting programs close

2. Please wait for the GPSVC when shutting down Windows computer

in Windows 10 News
    Please wait for the GPSVC when shutting down Windows computer: [IMG]If you receive the message Please wait for the GPSVC when shutting down the Windows computer, it simply means that the Group Policy service is taking longer than expected to update the settings and complete its tasks. But at times, your computer may regularly see this...
  3. When shutting down I need to close file explorer before it shut downs.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    When shutting down I need to close file explorer before it shut downs.: When shutting down I need to close file explorer before it shut downs. This used to not happen to me. How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-shutting-down-i-need-to-close-file-explorer/8da84e04-e5fa-4010-8324-64a9da339890
  4. laptop shuts down when i close the lid

laptop shuts down when i close the lid: my laptop is shutting downnot sleep when i close the lid which use to go hibernate about 3 days ago...facing this problem from 3 days.....checked with power options.....everything is fine there....plz help...
  5. Always shuts down when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Always shuts down when lid is closed: When I close my laptops lid windows will shutdown Instead of sleeping? (Windows pro N on dell latitude e6420) submitted by /u/Miner142 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lnfoq7/always_shuts_down_when_lid_is_closed/
  6. Shut Down when closing the lid

Shut Down when closing the lid: I have set my Win 10 computer's Power Options in the Control Panel to shut down when I close the lid. However I have noticed that after the screen is locked after ten minutes of no activity it does not shut down when I close the lid, it just stays in the locked screen...
  7. Programs shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs shutting down: My Windows 10 keeps closing all of my programs and the white Windows 10 box keeps popping up asking to shut down. I can't play anything in VLC for more than 5-10 minutes before it all shuts down. Same with Chrome and other programs. One store said it was a bad harddrive and...
  8. Is There a way to Shut Down Windows 10 When an Update is Waiting Without Updating?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is There a way to Shut Down Windows 10 When an Update is Waiting Without Updating?: Hey Guys, I sent feedback on this issue to the Windows 10 Feedback Hub. I would like to be able to shutdown Windows 10 when an update is shown in the Start Button Power Options, but you can't do that currently. Options are: Sleep Update and Restart Update and Shutdown...
  9. When rebooting computer windows 10 not shutting down programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    When rebooting computer windows 10 not shutting down programs: How aggravating is this. For the last few months when rebooting, after using power button to restart; and signing back on finding some programs still running. Definitely do not like finding my bank sign page or other programs open upon. When restarting why aren't they...
  10. Computer shuts down when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when lid is closed: My computer doesn't suspend or hibernate when I close the lid no matter which configurations I set on power options. It always shuts down the computer. If I click the power button before closing the lid, it suspends but when I close the lid he shuts down. I've tried to update...