Windows 10: Windows 10 - Waking from sleep, have a black screen and cursor arrow

Discus and support Windows 10 - Waking from sleep, have a black screen and cursor arrow in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 10, version 1903 four days ago. When I wake my machine from the sleep mode, sometimes my desktop screen, or open app window,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Doc-Westin, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Windows 10 - Waking from sleep, have a black screen and cursor arrow

I upgraded to Windows 10, version 1903 four days ago. When I wake my machine from the sleep mode, sometimes my desktop screen, or open app window, returns as expected. Most other times, my screen is black and only shows the cursor arrow. Turning off, then turning on my monitor power does not resolve the issue. Similarly an ALT-CTRL-DEL does not display its corresponding system screen. However, if I turn off, then turn on the computer power, I am able to get around the problem.

Two questions: Is it a power setting issue? And, how can I solve the issue with always having to turn off, then turn on my computer?

I use an HP P6650z Pavilion desktop with an HP 2011x monitor (no pen, no touch access).

:)

Doc-Westin, Jun 2, 2019

2. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Black Screen with Mouse Cursor will not wake, Power on, Settings Never Sleep

I have windows 10 Pro that the power settings for display and computer set for Never sleep, Restart evenings, boot okay. Next morning , power on, Black screen with mouse cursor, will not wake with cursor movement or keyboard prompts. Assistance requested.

GlenVan Nosdall, Jun 2, 2019
  3. Screens black after waking machine from sleep

Hi Anthony,

Does it only happen when waking up the computer from sleep?

To check for possible causes of this issue, we suggest you to run Power Troubleshooter. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • On the left side, click View all.
    • Click Power.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    If the issue still persists, you may update the Chipset driver from the device manufacturer.

Let us know how it goes.

Jesebel Ova, Jun 2, 2019
  4. Ariel Acu Win User

Windows 10 - Waking from sleep, have a black screen and cursor arrow

black screen with cursor

We would like to know more about your concern. Have you checked if you update your Windows 10 already? If not, we recommend to update your Windows 10 computer to see if it will make a progress and eliminate issues with it. Sleep mode settings could also
    be a possible root cause since you said that it turns into black screen after leaving the computer open. Please try to check the screen settings by performing the following steps:

• On your Computer, open Settings.
    • Choose System.
    • Go to Power & Sleep.
    • Under Screen, set it to Never.

We suggest to perform this to other device you are having the same problem so that we could check if this will make the fix.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance.

Ariel Acu, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - Waking from sleep, have a black screen and cursor arrow

1. Windows 10 - Waking from sleep, have a black screen and cursor arrow - Similar Threads - Waking sleep black

2. How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.: I’m not new to computers, but I’m having difficulty understanding what’s actually wrong with mine. The settings indicate I should be able to wake up my laptop from sleep by either the mouse or keyboard. Yet nothing works unless I hold down the power button. Which isn’t ideal...
  3. How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.: I’m not new to computers, but I’m having difficulty understanding what’s actually wrong with mine. The settings indicate I should be able to wake up my laptop from sleep by either the mouse or keyboard. Yet nothing works unless I hold down the power button. Which isn’t ideal...
  4. Windows 10 black screen with cursor after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 black screen with cursor after sleep mode: Hello everyone, I was just enjoying life playing some valorant. After that I went to go eat and after some time, I came back to check on my pc. I returned after 30 minutes and I was watching a video on my phone, I heard a disconnecting sound from my pc, so I had to go check...
  5. black screen with cursor occurs as soon as laptop wake up from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    black screen with cursor occurs as soon as laptop wake up from sleep.: after updating windows 10 to 11 . black screen issue with cursor started as soon as laptop wakes from sleep . alt + ctrl + del also don't work.laptop . If shutdown by pressing power button and if I start laptop again .. it turns on correctly. ... team microsoft please help me...
  6. black screen with cursor occurs as soon as laptop wake up from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    black screen with cursor occurs as soon as laptop wake up from sleep.: after updating windows 10 to 11 . black screen issue with cursor started as soon as laptop wakes from sleep . alt + ctrl + del also don't work.laptop . If shutdown by pressing power button and if I start laptop again .. it turns on correctly. ... team microsoft please help me...
  7. Black screen when waking from sleep, automatically restarts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen when waking from sleep, automatically restarts: I sometimes get a black screen when waking my desktop PC from sleep, which then automatically restarts after 10-30 seconds. It will then perform normally like I just freshly booted up my PC. This is not consistent at all as sometimes I can go for a week or even a month with...
  8. Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen goes black but I see cursor arrow: My laptop looked normal with the background photo. I clicked in the box to log in and the whole screen went black except I can see the cursor arrow. CTRL +Alt + delete does absolutely nothing. No other key combination does anything. I can't shut it down or anything. If I...
  9. Black Screen when waking from hybrid sleep Windows 1903

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black Screen when waking from hybrid sleep Windows 1903: After updating to Windows 1903 i cannot use hybrid sleep. wakes will either be normal or result in a black screen and a forced restart 1 black screen out of 4 successful wakes. The computer will continue to run until i force it off. I reinstalled nvidia drivers 430.86. This...
  10. Stuck on black screen, large cursor arrow and windows will not load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck on black screen, large cursor arrow and windows will not load: Hello, I recently started getting a black screen when trying to turn on my laptop, a Sony Vaio running Windows 10. I am unable to download the DM log collector tool since I cannot use my computer at all. It stays on the black screen even if I let it sit for hours. It's...