Windows 10: Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION error when connecting bluetooth headset/headphones

Discus and support Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION error when connecting bluetooth headset/headphones in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Why does my Bluetooth headset cause Windows 10 to bluescreen? System Windows 10 Home 64-bit Microsoft Audio Source Service Driver Version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JoshuaBalsillie, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION error when connecting bluetooth headset/headphones

Why does my Bluetooth headset cause Windows 10 to bluescreen?

System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Microsoft Audio Source Service Driver Version 10.0.18362.693

IntelR Wireless BluetoothR Driver Version 21.50.0.1

Microsoft headphone Driver Version 10.0.18362.693

Microsoft Avrcp Transport Driver Version 10.0.18362.1

Let me know if you need anything added to the system information.

What I Tried and the Results

When connecting my Bluetooth headset Bose Quiet Comfort II, sometimes it results in the WDF_VIOLATION blue screen error.

It seems to happen if I use a manual connect action in Windows 10.

Settings > Devices > Audio > Connect to headset

It may or may not be related to Windows 10 updates. I check for Windows updates at least once a month and typically install mandatory and optional updates that same day. The error does not seem to occur if the Bluetooth headset connect automatically.

The last time it occurred about June 5, 2020 I decided to check my Bluetooth drivers for updates a couple days later and discovered my IntelR Wireless BluetoothR driver had an update.

Device Manager > Bluetooth > IntelR Wireless BluetoothR > left click > Update driver

-or-

Device Manager > Bluetooth > IntelR Wireless BluetoothR > right click > Driver > Update Driver

Immediately after updating, my headset disconnected from Windows 10. I tried reconnecting the headset via:

Boom! Same bluescreen of death occurred: WDF_VIOLATION.

After the PC restarted I tried reconnecting to the headset again via:

It worked, but I definitely had anxiety selecting "Connect" again. I noticed my Bluetooth quality with my headset was choppy, resulting in popping noises and short periods of the audio cutting out. Often the popping and audio cutting out happen together, so it may be part of the same issue.

Fortunately after about 10 minutes the headset returned to normal operation with Windows 10. I cannot help but point out that the "Connect" button always causes this issue. If I simply connect my headset with an audio cable I haven't had it bluescreen.

This has happened at least 3 times on different occasions, two of which I described above. I can't remember exactly how many times it has happened probably 4 to 7 times.

All the articles I come across say the standard restart your PC, uninstall then reinstall the driver, etcetera so it would seem no one actually understands what causes the error yet, or at least on the first page of Google. I don't have the technical knowledge to debug this, but I can follow instructions.

Related

Bluetooth driver causing WDF_Violation

WDF_VIOLATION after connecting bluetooth device

Bluetooth Connection results in Blue Screen Error?How to Fix WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error on Windows 10 [Disk Recovery]

How to fix WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error on Windows 10?

:)

JoshuaBalsillie, Jun 7, 2020
  2. tsur1 Win User

Bluetooth headphones connect but headset portion does not

I have the exact same problem with my Bluebuds X

Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION error when connecting bluetooth headset/headphones [​IMG]

I have tried to manually add a driver through windows driver update (you can choose a driver device from the list)
    but i'm not sure which one is compatible and had no luck getting the headset portion to work... *Sad

Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION error when connecting bluetooth headset/headphones [​IMG]

Please let me know if you have found a solution!

Thanks!

tsur1, Jun 7, 2020
  3. taward Win User
    Bluetooth headphones connect but headset portion does not

All,

I have a surface pro 4, fully updated. I also have a pair of Revo bluetooth headphones. They also feature blutetooth calling capabilities (i.e. microphone).

I used to connect these without a problem. Recently something strange has been happening. Now when they connect on the headphones (i.e. stereo audio only) is recognized as an audio device.

Normally Windows recognizes headsets like this as two separate devices - headphones for audio and headsets for calling. I can confirm that device manager sees them both as functioning normally. But, as shown below, the headset portion is showing as disconnected. But there is no way to connect it.

I have uninstalled and deleted the device and re-paired it. Nothing works. Thoughts?

taward, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Mala_S Win User

Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION error when connecting bluetooth headset/headphones

Bluetooth Connection Issue - headphones, LE vs regular connection

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forum.

To have a better clarity on the issue and guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. Have you tried connecting the headphones to another computer and check if it’s working fine?
    2. What is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you with few simple steps. Kindly follow the same.

Step 1: Troubleshoot problems with Bluetooth accessories.

If you can turn on Bluetooth but are having problems pairing or using a Bluetooth accessory, kindly follow the article which gives you steps on
    Audio troubleshoot problems from - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14169/windows-10-fix-bluetooth-problems

Step 2: There are two terms regarding Bluetooth: pairing and connecting. Pairing is the introduction of one device to another. Once paired, they will stay in each other’s memory until manually erased. Once a device
    is paired, the headset can then connect to that device to receive audio or voice from the device.

• Go into the device's paired list and manually select the Bluetooth.
    • You may need to clear your paired list in your headset and re-pair your headset to your device.
    • To clear your paired list in your headset, follow these steps: on the headset, press and hold the call and volume – buttons for 10 seconds
    • The headset will revert to discoverable mode (slowly blinking LED), allowing you to re-pair the computer you want connect.

We await your response.

Regards,

Mala. S

Microsoft Community

Mala_S, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION error when connecting bluetooth headset/headphones

1. Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION error when connecting bluetooth headset/headphones - Similar Threads - WDF_VIOLATION error connecting

2. Bluetooth headset headphones&mic connected, but no audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth headset headphones&mic connected, but no audio: Aw shoot, here we go again. YEAH MICROSOFT, YOU STILL DID NOT FIX IT!So recently I've updated my drivers and my by bluetooth headset failed to work. Before that, however I had to disable bluetooth, set my headset into pairing mode, and than turn bt on again - because if I...
  3. Bluetooth headset headphones&mic connected, but no audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth headset headphones&mic connected, but no audio: Aw shoot, here we go again. YEAH MICROSOFT, YOU STILL DID NOT FIX IT!So recently I've updated my drivers and my by bluetooth headset failed to work. Before that, however I had to disable bluetooth, set my headset into pairing mode, and than turn bt on again - because if I...
  4. my bluetooth earbuds connect as headphones, but not as a headset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my bluetooth earbuds connect as headphones, but not as a headset: My Bluetooth earbuds ifrogz airtime 2 connect and work perfectly well, but recently I have been unable to use their built in microphones, after trying a few things I discovered this,for some reason, I can connect and disconnect from the option labelled "Headphones" just fine,...
  5. my bluetooth earbuds connect as headphones, but not as a headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my bluetooth earbuds connect as headphones, but not as a headset: My Bluetooth earbuds ifrogz airtime 2 connect and work perfectly well, but recently I have been unable to use their built in microphones, after trying a few things I discovered this,for some reason, I can connect and disconnect from the option labelled "Headphones" just fine,...
  6. my bluetooth earbuds connect as headphones, but not as a headset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Bluetooth headset only connecting as a pair of headphones

Bluetooth headset only connecting as a pair of headphones: When I paired my Bluetooth headset it only showed it as an audio device not a headset like this. it shows that it is connected for music. Can anyone help me be able to connect it as a headset so I can use my mic that is on them [ATTACH]...
  8. Bluetooth Headphones Connecting as Headset Only

Bluetooth Headphones Connecting as Headset Only: Hi, I am having an issue with two different pairs of bluetooth headphones (Plantronics and Senso - different manufacturers) only connecting to my PC as a bluetooth "headset", when they used to connect as both "headset" and "headphones". Normally the headphones would be an...
  9. Bluetooth headphones connection - headset mode only

Bluetooth headphones connection - headset mode only: Hey, I've bought panasonic wireless headphones and I tried connecting them with my phone (S8) and it works perfectly. With my Lenovo laptop with windows 10 on the other hand it was a total disaster. I've been trying so solve the problem for a few weeks now. My headphones only...
  10. Bluetooth headphones connect but headset portion does not

Bluetooth headphones connect but headset portion does not: All, I have a surface pro 4, fully updated. I also have a pair of Revo bluetooth headphones. They also feature blutetooth calling capabilities (i.e. microphone). I used to connect these without a problem. Recently something strange has been happening. Now when they...