Windows 10: Windows 10 went to sleep overnight despite being set to never sleep

Discus and support Windows 10 went to sleep overnight despite being set to never sleep in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I left my laptop (MSI GE65 Raider 9SF) downloading stuff overnight and went to sleep, at around 2 AM. When I woke up, the laptop had gone to sleep. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Xharos, Dec 21, 2019.

1. /u/Xharos Win User

Windows 10 went to sleep overnight despite being set to never sleep

I left my laptop (MSI GE65 Raider 9SF) downloading stuff overnight and went to sleep, at around 2 AM. When I woke up, the laptop had gone to sleep. I checked the event viewer and it went to sleep at 5:31 AM. Here's the event:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" /> <EventID>42</EventID> <Version>3</Version> <Level>4</Level> <Task>64</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x8000000000000404</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-21T05:31:23.558914900Z" /> <EventRecordID>11359</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="2196" /> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>MSIDani</Computer> <Security /> </System> - <EventData> <Data Name="TargetState">5</Data> <Data Name="EffectiveState">5</Data> <Data Name="Reason">7</Data> <Data Name="Flags">0</Data> <Data Name="TransitionsToOn">1</Data> </EventData> </Event>

How is it possible? I closed the lid, but it's set to never go to sleep when the AC is plugged in, neither after a certain time nor when closing the lid. I mean, I guess it's possible that the electricity randomly went out overnight, but I seriously doubt it...

submitted by /u/Xharos
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Xharos, Dec 21, 2019
  2. Wolfpup3 Win User

Windows 10 sleep bug-goes to sleep despite no-sleep settings

Updated one system from 8.1 to 10, and since then I'm seeing the system go to sleep within minutes of stepping away from the keyboard, despite my preferences being set to turning off the monitor in 30 minutes, and they PC (and even hard drive) never.

I found a complain about similar behavior on 8.1 after waking it up from sleep...I never saw that, but this is occurring after it wakes up from sleep.

Soooo this definitely is a bug, makes sleep mode worthless. Not sure if it's being caused because it wasn't a clean install, or some driver or just Windows 10...?

Wolfpup3, Dec 21, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Falls Asleep Despite "Never" Sleep Settings

Hi Tarantino,

Regarding your concern, it is most likely to be caused by a scheduled task. We suggest that you check your
    Task Scheduler for unwanted scheduled tasks. Kindly do the following steps below before 10PM:

• Type task scheduler on the search bar.
    • Click on Task Scheduler.
    • Under Actions, click on Display All Running Tasks.
    • Once All Running Tasks pops up, kindly check for a scheduled sleep that is set to trigger every 10PM.
    • Select the scheduled sleep, then press End Task.

Once you're done with the steps above, kindly check if your computer will still go to sleep at 10PM.

Let us know if you need further assistance with your concern.

Joshua Her1, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Windows 10 went to sleep overnight despite being set to never sleep

Display and sleep settings

Hi,

In order to help you with the issue about the display and sleep settings, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested by MVP Andre Da Costa? If you did, what were the results?
    • For us to avoid redundancy of the troubleshooting process, what were the other steps you have done to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your next post.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 went to sleep overnight despite being set to never sleep

1. Windows 10 went to sleep overnight despite being set to never sleep - Similar Threads - went sleep overnight

2. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never: Hello, I have an Asus ProArt Studiobook 16.Fresh install of windows 11, all drivers up to date. I like my computers to stay on constantly when they are plugged in so that they can run programs in the background or be accessible via remote desktop at any time. No matter what...
  3. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never: Hello, I have an Asus ProArt Studiobook 16.Fresh install of windows 11, all drivers up to date. I like my computers to stay on constantly when they are plugged in so that they can run programs in the background or be accessible via remote desktop at any time. No matter what...
  4. Windows 10 Falls Asleep Despite "Never" Sleep Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Falls Asleep Despite "Never" Sleep Settings: The ONLY WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM IS TO UN-INSTALL THE OPTIONAL SEPTEMBER UPDATE WHICH CAUSED IT. DOING JUST THAT FIXES IT IMMEDIATEL;Y EVEN BEFORE ANY REBOOT....
  5. PC is going to sleep despite power settings being set as Never/Never

PC is going to sleep despite power settings being set as Never/Never: My PC is going to sleep despite power settings being set as Never/Never How can I tell what is causing the sleep and after how long? What could be causing this? 179941
  6. windows 10 shuts down despite power and sleep setting on never

windows 10 shuts down despite power and sleep setting on never: windows 10 shuts down despite power and sleep setting on never https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shuts-down-despite-power-and-sleep/a08ed333-fbde-4142-a074-300de0b062ab
  7. Sleep or hibernate Windows overnight?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep or hibernate Windows overnight?: So, I just moved from Mac to Windows 10 laptop. On my MacBook, I never did a shut down. I would simply put it to sleep overnight and then continue using it next day. I really don't want to shut down the Windows and then have all the programs load up again when I start it up...
  8. Monitors going to sleep even set to never sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitors going to sleep even set to never sleep: I've set my monitors to never sleep yet they do so on an irregular basis. They can go weeks w/o sleeping yet today they went to sleep twice in less than a 1/2 hour. I just double checked my settings and they are still set to never sleep. I did just start using Helios Display...
  9. Screen automatically locks after idle period, despite being set to never sleep

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Screen automatically locks after idle period, despite being set to never sleep: A client's computer is constantly locking itself after an indeterminate amount of time idling. I have set the device to never sleep. It does not have a screensaver set. I've changed the system unattended timeout to 0. Dynamic lock is also off. We've also changed the...
  10. Windows 10 Power & Sleep settings and scheduled overnight backups

Windows 10 Power & Sleep settings and scheduled overnight backups: To all, For many years going back to Windows XP days and a few different backup softwares going back to NTBackup and now Acronis, I have been running scheduled overnight backups 2 nights a week. I run 2 different backups with a gap of about 1 1/2 hours between them just in...