Windows 10: Windows 10: What to expect on July 29

Discus and support Windows 10: What to expect on July 29 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I know that delivery method has been talked out and thought out but it sure seems to me like a huge security hole waiting to be exploited. I have come... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Windows 10: What to expect on July 29

I have come to the conclusion that in this day and age with cars being hacked, companies having details about customers being stolen the only way for it to be fixed is to jail some top executives and fine the companies involved several million $$$ so they get themselves sorted out. Security is always last on the list and Chrysler for example do not get just how serious this attack parameter could be. There are probably people working on shear brute force attacks as we speak. Seriously in what world does a car engine and control systems need to be wide open to the internet.
    Also fonts, seems incredible that a malformed font on a document or website can lead to the ability to take over a Windows PC and allow full control on the computer. Why do fonts need kernel access in 2015?

Time for Microsoft to be fined for some of these security exploits.

Indianatone, Jul 25, 2015
  2. Frank1 Win User

Thanks, I do use Macrium and I will be sure to make backups.

Frank1, Jul 25, 2015
  3. Wynona Win User
    Nah, not quite. Close, but no cigar!

You're absolutely right here, because Microsoft has only so many servers, and I'm pretty sure they'll all be busy serving the Insiders. *Smile

Wynona, Jul 25, 2015
  4. Wynona Win User

Windows 10: What to expect on July 29

Check! Done!

Wynona, Jul 25, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    This option is available in Windows 10, but not in Windows 8.1.

Windows 10: What to expect on July 29 [​IMG]

To be honest, I am relieved that this is the case. I'd hate the idea of some miscreant pushing Malware onto my machine when I am expecting a shiny new OS.

Fafhrd, Jul 25, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    Of course we (insiders) are special, if somebody has to crash and burn......

CountMike, Jul 25, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    That must be it, I noticed a lot of outgoing traffic during and after update download (I follow and pay attention to things like that). I attributed it to my system sending info about success of update installation but it may be that they are using my system to send same or part of downloaded files to others over internet. My W10 installation is not connected to home network so there's nothing else to send files to.

CountMike, Jul 25, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

What's all the fuss

However Ms could perhaps simply offer the entire RTM to legitimate / qualified users by BITORRENT - perfectly OK way of delivery so long as your trackers are OK and your servers are secure - many Linux distros use this method quite legitimately without any problem.

Saves HUGE load on the servers and the end user can get the software much more quickly.

(Much better also than those HIDEOUS Megaload type of servers that always exhort you to PAY for faster downloads etc etc -I'm sure you've all seen plenty of that type of "service").

Seems Ms is actually endorsing "torrent type" delivery without admitting it in practice. !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 25, 2015
  9. We've just done a trip to Romania (from Greece) and spent a couple of days in Nis on our way back. First impression is that Serbia is a country we would like to see more of (much nicer scenery than Greece, among other things. And they sell English cider*Party). And yes, it was hot, definitely in the high 30's. But it's a dry heat which isn't so bad as the humid heat we get down here.

I hope your processors don't give up the fight.

SaggyMaggyPoo, Jul 25, 2015
  10. This bit worries me. When I upgrade it will be to W10 Home. If I understand it correctly, that means that in future I won't have any control over any updates at all, they will just install automatically. So if MS release an update that breaks something else or simply doesn't work, as happens on occasion, I'm stuck with it.

Am I right? If so, it's a definite disincentive to upgrade until the OS has been well bedded in.

SaggyMaggyPoo, Jul 25, 2015
  11. Frank1 Win User
    I never did like the idea of installing automatically. I see no problem of downloading that way but of all the computers out there, it could cause some problems. Mistakes do happen and what if for some reason it does a clean install and backups haven't been made.
    Then there's the possibility that even if it doesn't do a clean install, that some data could still be lost.

Frank1, Jul 25, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    After spending almost whole working life repairing and making automatic machines I came to shun automatic stuff because if everything is not calculated and fits in perfectly, something is bound to go wrong. Same thing goes for those updates, I'm not a control freak but with such variety of SW and HW getting every update to fit all the scenarios is next to impossible to predict. Automatic update to drivers is worst, so at least that has to be left to user to choose what and when to install.
    For instance, drivers for my AMD GPU keep on replacing perfectly good v15.7 drivers with "newer" drivers that do not do as good a job.

CountMike, Jul 25, 2015
  13. 24C
    24c Win User

IMO auto update is like opening the door to your home to let someone come in and do as they please. I'd at least like the chance to ask them what they have in mind before I let them in.

14. Wynona Win User
    Same here, Maggy, but even if those with Pro have an option to delay, they don't have the option to "hide" the update. Microsoft doesn't always know what's best or how we use our machines.

Wynona, Jul 25, 2015
  15. Wynona Win User
    If I'm reading correctly, "it does a clean install" means Microsoft? If I am, Microsoft will not do clean installs on our computers.

We will be supplied with an ISO (no I don't know how or when) if we wish to do a clean install for ourselves.

Wynona, Jul 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10: What to expect on July 29 - Similar Threads - expect July

2. Unable to use USB for file transfer or usb thethering expect for charging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use USB for file transfer or usb thethering expect for charging: recently i m facing an unusual issue with my MI11x phone .Whenever i connect my phone to a pc via usb cable it directly starts charging without as for the 4-5 options to use for file transfer or charging or others.I have tried connecting with different cables and even on...
  3. Unable to use USB for file transfer or usb thethering expect for charging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to use USB for file transfer or usb thethering expect for charging: recently i m facing an unusual issue with my MI11x phone .Whenever i connect my phone to a pc via usb cable it directly starts charging without as for the 4-5 options to use for file transfer or charging or others.I have tried connecting with different cables and even on...
  4. When my pc is plugged into ethernet it gets the expected upload speed but only 0.02 mbps...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When my pc is plugged into ethernet it gets the expected upload speed but only 0.02 mbps...: Pc SpecsMotherboard: Asus b550 gaming AGPU: Nivida rtx 3060tiCpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5700XRam: 32Gb 3400 speedI have been trying to fix this for a while now and all of the solutions I found either don't help or make it worse, first off I have restarted pc, router, and have tested...
  5. When my pc is plugged into ethernet it gets the expected upload speed but only 0.02 mbps...

When my pc is plugged into ethernet it gets the expected upload speed but only 0.02 mbps...: Pc SpecsMotherboard: Asus b550 gaming AGPU: Nivida rtx 3060tiCpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5700XRam: 32Gb 3400 speedI have been trying to fix this for a while now and all of the solutions I found either don't help or make it worse, first off I have restarted pc, router, and have tested...
  6. When my pc is plugged into ethernet it gets the expected upload speed but only 0.02 mbps...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?: We are using an IDS solution which frequently triggers multiple access denied and unsuccessful login alerts over the port 445. We took a network capture and identified the multiple failed login and access denied instances were present in the logs.However, there were no failed...
  8. Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?: We are using an IDS solution which frequently triggers multiple access denied and unsuccessful login alerts over the port 445. We took a network capture and identified the multiple failed login and access denied instances were present in the logs.However, there were no failed...
  9. Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?

10. LSA package is not signed as expected. This can cause unexpected behaviour with Credential...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LSA package is not signed as expected. This can cause unexpected behaviour with Credential...: My computer event viewer started displaying: "Credential Guard is configured to run, but is not licensed. Credential Guard was not started." and "LSA package is not signed as expected. This can cause unexpected behaviour with Credential Guard." It has shown this warning...