Windows 10: Windows 10 - Where are the COM ports? Are there no COM ports anymore?

Discus and support Windows 10 - Where are the COM ports? Are there no COM ports anymore? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've gone the following way: Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> Action -> Add legacy hardware -> Next -> Add hardware -> tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RikBrown1, Apr 1, 2021.

1. RikBrown1 Win User

Windows 10 - Where are the COM ports? Are there no COM ports anymore?

I've gone the following way:

Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> Action -> Add legacy hardware -> Next ->

Add hardware -> tried both options, neither works -> Completing the Add Hardware Tool using Microsoft

So where do I go next to get the correct driver?

Thanks. -- Rik

:)

RikBrown1, Apr 1, 2021

2. Windows 10 lost COM ports

Hi John,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the missing ports on your Windows 10 computer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we’d like to know the following information:

• What are the troubleshooting steps you've done so far?
    • Which devices are using the COM port on your computer?

Additionally, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article on how to perform the
    Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
    Once you’re on the page, you may proceed with the steps and complete the process. After completing the steps, you may check if you’re able to install the port on your PC properly.

We’re looking forward to your response.

Joseph Ban, Apr 1, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Port is being blocked

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

Upon researching, this seems like an issue due to the port scan. You may want to try the steps listed below and check if it works.

• Login to your Netgear
      NX6200 Extender GUI
    • Click on Advanced tab and choose
      WAN Setup
    • Check the box for Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection.
    • Allow it to update and check if the port is still being blocked.

However, if the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals
    equipped with knowledge on port forwarding.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Apr 1, 2021
  4. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Windows 10 - Where are the COM ports? Are there no COM ports anymore? [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Apr 1, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - Where are the COM ports? Are there no COM ports anymore? - Similar Threads - Where are COM

2. COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM port: I am using window 10, I tried to communicate with arduino mega 2560 by grbl controller. its connected but not active some times its active. why it happened. I tried many times I thoiught the com port service is inturupted by itself?...
  3. COM ports

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM ports: Where are the COM ports on windows 11? Looked through device manager and couldnt find any. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/e9069c14-9696-4ac5-99df-a5a67079048a
  4. COM ports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM ports: Where are the COM ports on windows 11? Looked through device manager and couldnt find any. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/e9069c14-9696-4ac5-99df-a5a67079048a
  5. com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    com ports: How do I clear in use com ports in win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/13a6b2f9-f52d-467c-a680-4bfa363a639f
  6. COM ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    COM ports: Have 2 USB COM ports on my laptop. I use them to connect to and upload Arduino programming. Device manager started out identifying them as COM port 3 an4, now says 4 and 6, sometimes both as COM port 5. Any info appreciated....
  7. Com Port

Com Port: My Com 3 Port was working fine and I now plugged in a device and I see 2- Com 2 ports and 1- Com 2 port, none of which are connecting to my device? How can I reinstall the Com 3 port driver if I delete the current one can I still download it>...
  8. Com ports

Com ports: Whenever I try to use serial communation I get an error code #12. The message is I don't have enough room for the com port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/2cc86c83-2c30-4ef6-b30b-32cbe6508edb
  9. Com Ports

Com Ports: I'm having a problem with com port #5. It gives me a yellow sign with a quote. Whats happening is when I try to make changes to To my Mitsubishi GX 2000 software program for PLC logic controllers it tells me I have a problem with my comm port. I don't think I'm using a comm...
  10. Com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    Com ports: Where do I find the com port's that are assigned to a device that is connected with Bluetooth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/1ebde4c0-a50f-4066-aaf1-ef4c7399ebe7