Windows 10: Windows 10- WIFI Networks disappearing after 15-20 minutes with Wifi Adaptor needing a reset

Discus and support Windows 10- WIFI Networks disappearing after 15-20 minutes with Wifi Adaptor needing a reset in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Having gone through a whole plethora of posts here and elsewhere on this, and yet unable to resolve my problem; I am hoping someone here would be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AdarshMishra02, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Windows 10- WIFI Networks disappearing after 15-20 minutes with Wifi Adaptor needing a reset

Hi

Having gone through a whole plethora of posts here and elsewhere on this, and yet unable to resolve my problem; I am hoping someone here would be able to help.

Problem context

I have a Windows 10 Desktop, with ALL the latest updates applied last one being Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 2 on 16-Apr-2020. It connects wirelessly to my Virgin media superhub, with two networks spawned: a 5 GHz one & a 2.4 GHz one. Since the last update was applied, the wifi connectivity on that machine has become totally a pain- with wifi connection dropping and All wireless networks disappearing in 10-15 minutes. things begin to work for next 10-15 minutes upon resetting the wifi adapter Intel Dual band Wireless AC-7260; using the standard "Diagnose" option available on right clicking the adapter. the condition is same, irrespective of which network I connect to. This machine has a static ip on the router for the wireless networks to avoid any ip conflicts. All other machines in my home 2 windows laptops with similar updates, a macbook, iPads etc dont seem to suffer from this issue. hence my deduction: the issue must be in this machine itself.

things tried thus far without resolving the issue

1. Updated the wireless adapter driver

2. Uninstalled device and rebooted the machine, with the device being reinstalled.

3. Removed the virtual network adapters installed by NORD VPN

4. Turned off Bluetooth

5. Tried start-up in repair mode

6. Ensured there is No connection sharing AND the machine is not set-up as access point

7. The check-box in power management is UNTICKED to disallow Windows turning off the wifi - though its reduntant; given that its a desktop machine- always plugged in.

Would really appreciate help on resolving this- as it has become really annoying to have to move down in the evenings ; just to restart the wifi adaptor on this machine; which acts as the media server in my house.

regards

A

:)

AdarshMishra02, Apr 30, 2020
  2. hareshoza Win User

reset wifi adaptor

how to reset wifi adaptor

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet

hareshoza, Apr 30, 2020
  3. Wifi connection cutting off every 20 minutes

My internet is turning itself off about every 20 minutes, and I have to go to the network and sharing center and run troubleshoot wifi connection 3 a several times before it goes back to normal.

What I've checked:

• The internet works without fail on my phone. The problem is surely on this device.
    • The wifi connection 3 thing on network and sharing center is the thing that always goes offline (has a red cross next to it)
    • My intelligence... I'm pretty bad at computing so please explain this in steps.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop this inconvenience from occurring every 10-20 minutes, its really frustrating. I need to answer questions and get more reputation on writers SE Windows 10- WIFI Networks disappearing after  15-20 minutes with Wifi Adaptor needing a reset :).

Thanks. By the way, I ran a scan. Its not a virus or malware, whatever else it could be.

Daniel Cann, Apr 30, 2020
  4. BobSter2 Win User

Windows 10- WIFI Networks disappearing after 15-20 minutes with Wifi Adaptor needing a reset

Wifi Network Adaptor disappearing - HW or SW? How to fix?

Hi

I'm having wifi problems with my lappy, but I can't figure-out whether it is hardware or software. There is evidence to suggest that recent versions of Windows 10 have been causing wifi problems. If the problem _is_ with Windows and they are going to fix it, then I can stop worrying about trying to fix the hardware (I am travelling abroad and it is near-impossible to find expertise/parts/tools).

Gory Details:

System: Levono Yoga2 Pro laptop. Intel Core i7-4500U. 8GB RAM. Windows 10 64 bit.
    I have been using Windows 10 since it came out without any problems. I have been keeping it updated.

Precursor to this problem: On 4th November 2016, mid-session, apropos of nothing, my wifi stopped seeing the wifi network it was connected to; or any other wifi networks. (My phone could see plenty). This was evidenced in the Taskbar, Action centre, Settings dialogs of the PC. The Windows version was upto date at the time, but downloading the next week's Microsoft Patch Tuesday updates (9th Nov) fixed the problem. System working AOK. Yay.
    (MS update: KB3200970 "Addressed issue with the system tray showing no Wi-Fi connection even when Wi-Fi is present")

System fixed - I made a system-restore point.

The "fix" held for 24 hours, then a new, more severe problem started occurring (='the current problem').

Current problem: After 3 to 5 hours of normal, troublefree operation, the PC stops seeing the wifi entirely. Any menu options associated with wifi networking disappear entirely. The Device Manager can no longer see the Network Adapter (Intel Wireless-N 7260) or its driver software. (That statement is somewhat summmarised - see Note 1 at the bottom of this post for more details).

None of the Events in Event Viewer explain the disappearing Network Adapter.

If I do a (whole) system restore back to my restore point, then everything is fine-and-dandy for a few hours, then the Network Adapter disappears again, along with any chance of seeing any wifi controls.

System Restore consistently fixes it for a few hours. Then the Network (adapter) consistently disappears again.

- - -

So, is that hardware or software?

One might think it is temperture/overheating related, but the problem also once occurred overnight when the PC was switched off (it was fine when I went to bed and switched it off, but was 'broken' when I switched it on again in the morning).

One might think it is Virus related, but everything shows-up clean in MBAM and Avast.

If it is a hardware problem, why would a system restore (to a point a few days ago) fix it?

I'm thinking/hoping that the problem is caused by recent versions of Windows 10 (f,g below). But I can't find examples of other people suffering.

If it _is_ caused by the OS, how does one inform Microsoft about it? (I don't want to join the 'Insiders Community')

Any ideas?

TIA

-----------------------------------------
    p.s. I have done as much diagnostics as possible - gory details here:

Note: the text "Result: FAIL" means that after a few hours of normal operation, AOK, the Intel Wireless-N 7260 Network Adapter can suddenly not be detected and any wifi activity/option becomes unavailable. Restart doesn't help. Restoring the system to a previous state fixes the problem (for a few hours).

Scenarios a-e all have the wifi switched on and connected to a wifi network.
    a) System status up-to-date at 10 Nov. Result: FAIL

b) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in OCTOBER 2016: Result: FAIL

c) System status up-to-date at 10 Nov. Updated Network Adapter DRIVER to a newer version found by Device Manager (but not listed in the manufacturer's website's list of drivers). Result: FAIL

d) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in AUGUST. Retained old NA driver. Downloaded and applied November 9th MS Updates and updated Browser (Firefox) Version and Virus definitions: Result: FAIL

e) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in August. Retained old NA driver. Update Browser (Firefox) Version and Virus definitions, but DID NOT download/apply November 9th MS Update: Result: RUNS FINE FOR THE 4 HOURS UNTIL MS FORCES THE LATEST MS OS UPDATES TO BE APPLIED, then runs OK for a few hours then FAILs.

Scenarios f-g have the wifi switched OFF; or switched on but not connected to a wifi network; so that Automatic Updates can't be forced onto the computer.

f) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in August. Wifi switched OFF. Result: RUNS FINE FOR THE 14 hours I tested it. (i.e. the Network Adapter appears to be fine, as reported by the Device Manager)

g) (follows on from (f))... Wifi now switched ON but options set to "forget" known wifi networks, (so wifi is ON and polling nearby networks, but is not connected to any of them). Result: RUNS FINE FOR THE 6 hours I have (so far) tested it. (i.e. the Network Adapter appears to be fine as reported by the Device Manager)

Conclusion: f and g seem to suggest that the problem arises from later (current) versions of Windows 10. But this is inconclusive, because in scenario (f), the wifi card is not being used and and (g) it isn't being used for sending/receiving internet traffic

(N.B. I am abroad and using my hotel's wifi network(s) to try and use the internet. I have no control over the network itself).

----------------------

Note 1:

When I say "The device manager can no longer see the Network Adapter" - this is a _summary_ of what happens - infact, it seems to go through 4 separate stages:

1) normal operation - everything AOK.
    2) The PC reports it is still seeing the wifi connnection that it is/was connected to, but is seeing no other wifi networks. The wifi network it connected to can no longer send/receive any data
    3) The Device Manager shows a yellow warning triangle on Network adapters> Intel Wireless-N 7260, and 'Properties' shows "No drivers are installed for this device."
    4a) The Device Manager shows a yellow warning triangle on Network adapters> Intel Wireless-N 7260 and Properties shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10). This device does not exist."
    or
    4b) Device Manager, Network adapters> doesn't show Intel Wireless-N 7260 at all.

A few minutes pass between each step through the stages occurring. Other apps running on the PC (e.g. mp3 player) freeze up for a couple of seconds when each stage changes to the next.

BobSter2, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10- WIFI Networks disappearing after 15-20 minutes with Wifi Adaptor needing a reset

1. Windows 10- WIFI Networks disappearing after 15-20 minutes with Wifi Adaptor needing a reset - Similar Threads - WIFI Networks disappearing

2. No wifi on Windows 11 after adaptor reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No wifi on Windows 11 after adaptor reset: So I have a new computer. I began having my wifi breaking up so I started adaptor reset. The message is that it takes 5 minutes and a restart of the laptop. When the laptop restarted I now have no internet. I have no wifi connections displayed. I have no wifi icon when I...
  3. No wifi on Windows 11 after adaptor reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No wifi on Windows 11 after adaptor reset: So I have a new computer. I began having my wifi breaking up so I started adaptor reset. The message is that it takes 5 minutes and a restart of the laptop. When the laptop restarted I now have no internet. I have no wifi connections displayed. I have no wifi icon when I...
  4. Window’s 10 connects to WiFi for 5,10,60 minutes then WiFi networks disappear, and I can’t...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Window’s 10 connects to WiFi for 5,10,60 minutes then WiFi networks disappear, and I can’t...: For a year the only way I could get a reliable connection to my router was if I connected to my guest network via WiFi or via Ethernet. Well, we moved and I am no longer right beside the router with my new office. Short of it is this. I connect to the main network, and at...
  5. WIFI adaptor disappear and reappear unexpectedly

WIFI adaptor disappear and reappear unexpectedly: Hi Everyone, ---------------------- My Specs OS - Win 10 Pro 20H2 Other OS - Prime OS, Zorin OS RAM - 4 GB ---------------------- I have problem with my WIFI adapter unexpectedly disappear even their driver also gone from device manager (See Screen shot when my WIFI working...
  6. WIFI adaptor disappear and reappear unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WIFI adaptor disappear and reappear unexpectedly: Hi Everyone, ---------------------- My Specs OS - Win 10 Pro 20H2 Other OS - Prime OS, Zorin OS RAM - 4 GB ---------------------- I have problem with my WIFI adapter unexpectedly disappear even their driver also gone from device manager (See Screen shot when my WIFI working...
  7. restarting after 20 minutes of connecting to wifi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    restarting after 20 minutes of connecting to wifi: hello , i am pranav and i am facing problem while connected to internet . whenever i connect to internet after 20 minutes it shows you are about to signed out restart in one minute please help me to tackle this problem...
  8. Network Adaptor, Wifi Adaptor for Window 10

Network Adaptor, Wifi Adaptor for Window 10: Hey, I have a problem with my System i.e. I can not connect my system with any wifi or router wirelessly. My System model is DELL Inspiron 3442 [ATTACH] This is my PC having Windows 10 64-bit. Please help me by giving an adapter for connecting my router to my PC. Already...
  9. Wifi disappeared after Windows 10 reset

Wifi disappeared after Windows 10 reset: I hate to embarass myself by not figuring this out but after a reset of Windows I couldn't see my wifi connections when I clicked on the Network icon on the taskbar over by the clock. All that was visible was "Airplane mode" which was "off." I'm here to tell you I tried a...
  10. Wifi Network Adaptor disappearing - HW or SW? How to fix?

Wifi Network Adaptor disappearing - HW or SW? How to fix?: Hi I'm having wifi problems with my lappy, but I can't figure-out whether it is hardware or software. There is evidence to suggest that recent versions of Windows 10 have been causing wifi problems. If the problem _is_ with Windows and they are going to fix it, then I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. After the recent update of Windows 10 wifi connection and icon have completely disappeared