Windows 10: Windows 10 Wiki FAQs

Discus and support Windows 10 Wiki FAQs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Community: Wiki Article [img] Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10 Technical Level : Basic Summary On January 21st... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Slartybart, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Wiki FAQs

Microsoft Community: Wiki Article

Slartybart, Apr 6, 2015
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Interesting article. It does bring up, again, the question of support. Does a "machine" mean the OEM box? Home grown? Same MAC address? What identifies "machine"?

Excerpt:
    What does lifetime of the device mean?
    This is still being debated, but the logical conclusion is as long as the machine is operable, it will continue to support it with updates. So, if the machine still works 5 or 10 years from now, revisions and updates to Windows 10 will be made available to it.

:)

f14tomcat, Apr 6, 2015
  3. Linney Win User
    Linney, Apr 6, 2015
  4. BossDweeb Win User

Windows 10 Wiki FAQs

Is there a Windows 10 tutorial that is NOT Wiki? I don't exactly trust Wiki.

The 'book' linked by DaveM is a Microsoft publication .

The two sites I linked to do not have anything to do with Wiki, and they are well regarded for their accuracy,

and highly respected.

It's somewhat ironic that you choose to take the suggestion of one of the most curt people on these forums

while refusing to even have a look at the non-Wiki sites offered by others.

Cut your own nose to spite your face if you insist.

Oh! And by the way. Be very careful out there in the wild. Several very well informed members of this community

publish on non-Wiki sites as well as Wiki, but don't promote their dirty little secret while on those other sites.

The only way to discover who they are is to frequent these forums.

[EDIT: I was searching for the hows and whys of a couple of new Compatibility settings yesterday, and found

a genuine MS employee, who professes to be on the development team hanging out at Reddit, of all places.

Fancy that ! Even people on the development team won't hang out here.

Think I may have to lodge a complaint through the 'Feedback app' .

- Also... Hot off the press. Turkey has banned Wikipedia. (Rarely use it myself, but glad I'm not in Turkey. ) ]

BossDweeb, Apr 6, 2015
  5. Roger Win User
    You beat me to the punch*cry
    I was about to ask the same question.
    I'm running the TP on two old machines. One 32 bit and I 64 bit.
    These machines both had Win 7 on them and served faithfully...............
    I jump to Win10 and a HDD dies, or a mobo goes south..... maybe a PSU takes a dive.
    Life of the device???
    Somebody gotta define when "DO NOT RESUSITATE" applies or I'm not gonna play *chuckle

Roger, Apr 7, 2015
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Maybe the MS Legal Beagles will offer a Living Will option in the upgrade! *Roflmao2

I still think it will be the MAC address, just like banks and other very security conscious sites. Like when you use a new or different box to pay a bill or something, you get that "we don't recognize your device" crap, and make you answer a bunch of security questions, like the name of your first dog!

So maybe the answer is, when the motherboard melts, end of device life!

f14tomcat, Apr 7, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .Of that specific computer. . .not you, in my case that what be really short. . .*Smile

8. Roger Win User

Windows 10 Wiki FAQs

"So maybe the answer is, when the motherboard melts, end of device life!"
    That I could live with............. pretty good odds!

Roger, Apr 7, 2015
  9. Roger Win User
    I think that's a good definition of end of life and you should have the honor of notifying MS that we'll accept no less, after all, it was your idea.

Roger, Apr 7, 2015
  10. The answer is: This is still being debated (sic at Microsoft)

I don't think it will differ much from the current licensing which mostly defines a machine as the mother board. You can part and parcel just about every other component and MS will activate the license, through phone if necessary. A new Mother board is essentially a new machine, isn't it?

Back when it was fun to do, I upgraded CPUs and never had a OS licensing issue.

My take on this: Wait until they figure out how to codify life of the machine - there are more devices than PCs involved, so the legal beagles have many pages to write.

I'll never figure out the legalese, so IF an issue comes up, I'll end up calling MS anyway. They'll tell me what they think and I'll tell them what I think. I've never had an issue with activation through support - they always help me out when the software acts up.

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 7, 2015
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    I agree with all the above..... Maybe I'll just Tweet the whole thread to Terry Myerson!

f14tomcat, Apr 7, 2015
  12. Roger Win User
    ["My take on this: Wait until they figure out how to codify life of the machine - there are more devices that PC involved, so the legal beagles have many pages to write."]

Tomcat thinks when "the motherboard melts" would be a good ending and I'm not sure but he may take that to MS.
    Make the definition one sentence and fire the legal beagles............... just think of the cost savings and the amount of wrangling, phone bills, service reps, ad infinite, eliminated*Biggrin
    Sometimes I'm so damned smart I make myself sick...*Huh

Roger, Apr 7, 2015
  13. Chuck38 Win User

Windows 10 Wiki FAQs

What if I were to upgrade my motherboard? Would the life of my device end?

Chuck38, Apr 7, 2015
  14. Roger Win User
    I think that will be the biggest contender.

Sometimes you can replace a motherboard if it's "similar" enough.

I changed one a few years ago. Mobo died in an Intel machine. It was obsolete and I couldn't find one. An i3core CPU and other expensive left me searching. An online surplus outfit had a surplus Dell board that would take the i3 cpu.
    To reactivate that I was on the phone around the world several times but the finally activated it.
    YMMV

Roger, Apr 7, 2015
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    Chuck, that's the issue. If you buy a new car, the warranty is non-transferable to the new car from the old. There has to be something that identifies the "box" Win 10 is licensed to. Otherwise, every piece, every component could be replaced and you could still claim it as the original device. I doubt MS or anybody would agree to that. IMO, if you replace the motherboard, and by default the MAC, you're starting over. I know, there are ways to change the MAC address, but I doubt that would fly. I'd love to hear others opinions on this.

f14tomcat, Apr 7, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Wiki FAQs

1. Windows 10 Wiki FAQs - Similar Threads - Wiki FAQs

2. Recovery key faq

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery key faq: Hello , I need to retrieve the recovery key faq for my tablet. My key ID is 3E795BDA.Drive Label: JC-Stream-7 Windows 3/11/2015 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-key-faq/0732f4dd-cc44-4596-b4cd-8862c0cdf5a3
  3. Recovery key faq

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery key faq: Hello , I need to retrieve the recovery key faq for my tablet. My key ID is 3E795BDA.Drive Label: JC-Stream-7 Windows 3/11/2015 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-key-faq/0732f4dd-cc44-4596-b4cd-8862c0cdf5a3
  4. Windows 10 / Windows 11 OEM License FAQ

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 / Windows 11 OEM License FAQ: i buy the new customize PC few month ago, can i buy windows 10 pro OEM License? or i need buy esd or fpp license? may i know the new pc with valid windows oem license right is new customize pc with windows oem license at same invoice? can i buy new customize pc with this...
  5. Windows 10 / Windows 11 OEM License FAQ

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 / Windows 11 OEM License FAQ: i buy the new customize PC few month ago, can i buy windows 10 pro OEM License? or i need buy esd or fpp license? may i know the new pc with valid windows oem license right is new customize pc with windows oem license at same invoice? can i buy new customize pc with this...
  6. Windows 10 / Windows 11 OEM License FAQ

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can't reach Fandom Wiki

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't reach Fandom Wiki: I have an ongoing problem, I am unable to reach the Fandom Wiki. No matter how I input it, typing into the address bar or clicking on a link on a search page, I will get the message 'err connection reset'. It doesn't matter which browser I use, I have tried 4 of the most...
  8. I WAS RECOMMENDED TO USE https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_S tep AND STILL...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I WAS RECOMMENDED TO USE https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_S tep AND STILL...: i stuck at this part after finish analyse and deep search.this is what i got after: [ATTACH] i dont know what to do next after the analyse https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-was-recommended-to-use/69cba9c8-7d93-4eea-a497-9e59c57bc373
  9. Cannot Connect to Gustav Wiki from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Connect to Gustav Wiki from Windows 10: Hi Everyone, My workgroup uses a Mac Mini Gustav server to share files and I used to access it from my Windows 8 computer. Now I got upgraded to windows 10 and then I cannot access it any more. It kept saying that my password was incorrect but I am sure it was right. Any...
  10. Announcing public preview of Wiki search

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing public preview of Wiki search: Wiki search feature is being deployed with the S126 Update. The deployment for this sprint is in progress therefore if you don’t see wiki search in your account, then please check back soon. Search wiki pages Over time as teams document more content in wiki pages,...