Windows 10: Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files

Discus and support Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In preview builds of Windows 10 19H1 and 20H1, Microsoft has added a new feature to the File Explorer which allows users to create and rename extension... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 24, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files

In preview builds of Windows 10 19H1 and 20H1, Microsoft has added a new feature to the File Explorer which allows users to create and rename extension only files. We were able to reproduce the changes on both Windows 10 19H1 and 20H1 machines.

Windows 10 version 1903/20H1 changes how the File Explorer handles the renaming of the file extensions and it’s a useful feature if you display the file extension. File Extension (such as .txt, .png, .jpg) is that which identifies the file type and there are many users who prefer to show File Extensions.

To show file extensions in Windows 10, you can search for File Explorer Options in Cortana and uncheck ‘Hide extensions for known file types’ in the views tab, as shown in the screenshot below.

Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files File-Explorer-extensions.jpg

In Windows 10 October 2018 Update or older, if you create or rename a file to a text that starts with a dot and file extension is not specified, the system displays an error message stating that ‘You must type a file name’.

Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files File-extension-error.jpg

In Windows 10 April 2019 Update and newer, File Explorer will now allow you to rename a file to be something like ‘.test’. Previously there would be an error citing that you needed to provide a name.

Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files File-extension-in-19H1.jpg

It’s a small change but it should help web developers and even normal users if they want to create a file that starts with a dot.

The post Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 24, 2019

2. Windows 10 create a new file extension

At my work we have scanned documents using some very expensive software and some of these documents are converted to a .RAY file that we created in-house. We have a registry entry that works flawlessly on Windows 7 to allow these file extensions to open
    with Microsoft Document Imaging. I can import the same registry file into Windows 10 and see that it gets created, however Windows still prompts me that the extension is unknown. How to I add the .RAY extension to the File Associations list in Windows 10?

Below is the registry file that we run on our Windows 7 machines:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

"ray_auto_file"=hex(0):

Thanks,

Leigh

LeighWeems, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files

Desktopini created instead of a folder renaming

Every time I try to rename a folder on my PC (Windows 10 Pro), instead of renaming the file, it creates a desktop.ini folder, and inside of it is the following information

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=

After LocalizedResourceName= is the name of the folder that I renamed it to. So if it was Folder1 and I rename it to Folder2, that file will say:

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=Folder2

... but the actual foldername will still be Folder1

Searching the Internet lists a bunch of random suggestions, none of which work. Anyone know why this happens? I'm pretty close to abandoning File Explorer, as it seems to be the cause of this issue.

FrustratedUser1966, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files

1. Windows 10 will allow you to create or rename extension only files - Similar Threads - allow create rename

2. What happens if you rename a file extension to a ransomware extension?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What happens if you rename a file extension to a ransomware extension?: Hi,So I was reading about the SOVA ransomware when suddenly I started wondering about what would happen if I changed the file extension of a safe file to a ransomware's file extension for example, picture.jpg converts to picture.djvu, the extension for one of the oldest...
  3. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  4. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  5. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  6. Allow batch file renamer to work?

Allow batch file renamer to work?: I'm trying to use a batch file renamer in order to add terms to the beginning of a file:picture1.jpgpicture2.jpgadd "2022 - " to the beginning to give:2022 - picture1.jpg2022 - picture2.jpgFirst off, I'd like a suggestion as to a safe one to use. Free is obviously preferable,...
  7. Allow batch file renamer to work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Allow batch file renamer to work?: I'm trying to use a batch file renamer in order to add terms to the beginning of a file:picture1.jpgpicture2.jpgadd "2022 - " to the beginning to give:2022 - picture1.jpg2022 - picture2.jpgFirst off, I'd like a suggestion as to a safe one to use. Free is obviously preferable,...
  8. Allow batch file renamer to work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Bug in massive file extension renaming

Bug in massive file extension renaming: I'm found a wrong behavior in changing the file extension for more than one file. Having selected many file by the standard win10 file browser Win10 v1909, I try to change the extension in one shot by F2 key, by context menu, by Ribbon too. The regular box on the file name...
  10. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File: Hello, Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following: CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here REN *.jpg *.tif This changes every file that has a JPG extension to...