Windows 10: Windows 10, will ALWAYS connect to an open network - even when configured otherwise.

Discus and support Windows 10, will ALWAYS connect to an open network - even when configured otherwise. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have come to realise that the biggest gaping hole in windows privacy and security is in the blatant promiscuity of the WIFI connections. any open... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jameseckhardt, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Windows 10, will ALWAYS connect to an open network - even when configured otherwise.

I have come to realise that the biggest gaping hole in windows privacy and security is in the blatant promiscuity of the WIFI connections.

any open network that it detects WILL be connected to when it tries to reach out to the internet.

I have gone through the pain of setting every known open network in my work areas to never auto connect. I have even tried stipulating that these connections are metered connections, in the hope that this would somehow dissuade a connection.

Alas, windows will still connect auto-magically to these networks. More alarmingly, it will opt to connect to an open network which is specifically marked as metered and UNticked for automatic connection - over my trusted 4G device which is ticked for automatic connection. My assumption is that for different APNs on the same network, it somehow circumvents this setting.

The risk with this (which I have personally tried and proven) is that anyone can use a small IOT device - like a PI - to create an open network and start wreaking all kinds of havoc with very little effort. It is thus no longer just a networking issue - it is a security and privacy issue.

I have tried for many months to find an adequate solution - even on this forum. There are none that actually work. I would think there is some way to script or configure the routing tables or a virtual adapter to somehow only use trusted connections? I don't care to try working it out for my self and definitely don't have the time.

Please provide an actual solution to disallow automatic connections to ALL open networks uniformly, without having to try doing so manually for each network specifically - which doesn't actually work and is impossible to maintain regardless.

I personally NEVER want to connect to an open network. Ever. ...this should be the default on all systems anyway.

:)

jameseckhardt, Apr 18, 2019
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Set Broadband Internet Connection Network Configuration

Hi,

Upon analyzing the details you have provided, kindly run the
    Network and Internet Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter,
    follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Choose
      Network and Internet.

• Run the following
      Troubleshooter:

• Internet Connections.

• Network Adapter.

• Incoming Connections.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try to
    renew
    your
    IP address. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• Ipconfig/release
        and hit
        Enter.

• Ipconfig/renew
        and hit
        Enter.

• Exit.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Apr 18, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Mel Tar Win User

Windows 10, will ALWAYS connect to an open network - even when configured otherwise.

No network connection

Hello Graham,

To resolve your concern about wireless network issues, please click the link below and follow the suggested troubleshooting steps:

Let us know how it goes.

Mel Tar, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10, will ALWAYS connect to an open network - even when configured otherwise.

1. Windows 10, will ALWAYS connect to an open network - even when configured otherwise. - Similar Threads - ALWAYS connect open

2. Network connections do not work. Window 10 and 11. Always asks for credentials! When I only...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network connections do not work. Window 10 and 11. Always asks for credentials! When I only...: I have 4 computers at home. Two laptops with Win 10, my work desktop machine with windows 11, and a brand new Surface Pro 8 with win 11. When the network does see them, any attempt to access them asks for credentials. There are no Windows credentials listed in any of the...
  3. Network connections do not work. Window 10 and 11. Always asks for credentials! When I only...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network connections do not work. Window 10 and 11. Always asks for credentials! When I only...: I have 4 computers at home. Two laptops with Win 10, my work desktop machine with windows 11, and a brand new Surface Pro 8 with win 11. When the network does see them, any attempt to access them asks for credentials. There are no Windows credentials listed in any of the...
  4. Computer/Windows 10 Works Completely Fine When in Safe Mode, Doesn't Even Start Otherwise

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer/Windows 10 Works Completely Fine When in Safe Mode, Doesn't Even Start Otherwise: Hello, For a few months now my computer has been suddenly crashing since mid September 2020. It started out as innocent little black screens. Everything was fine once I plugged my laptop back in, and hit the power button when it shut itself down. Then the shutting down got...
  5. NETWORK CONFIGURATION

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NETWORK CONFIGURATION: HOW DO I SET UP A PRINTER FOR NETWORKING IF THE PRINTER, AND BOTH COMPUTERS ARE CONNECTED TO THE ROUTER. THANKS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-configuration/128be2d0-8e0d-4c3b-8ab8-338bc96299d4
  6. Windows 10 – WiFi always connected even during sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 – WiFi always connected even during sleep?: Hi all I used to be able have wifi disconnect any time the computer was locked, went to sleep, or hibernated. It was only upon logging in again, and after choosing which network to connect to, would I be online again. Now the computer seems to be always connected to Wifi...
  7. Always On VPN connects even when connected to the trusted domain

Always On VPN connects even when connected to the trusted domain: I have configured and implemented Always On VPN and it works great. The only issue is many clients are connecting even when on the trusted domain, almost as if it isn't detecting it. I have seen this on different versions of Windows 10, from 1803 to 1903 and on at least 2...
  8. Windows network not connecting when it says its connecting (windows 10)

Windows network not connecting when it says its connecting (windows 10): when i try to connect to my network, it says it is connecting but it changes to no bars(it is full bars when i try to connect), and when i put in the key it just says its connecting, then asks me to put it in again. I have a hidden network which my phone and other devices in...
  9. Network configuration Windows 10

Network configuration Windows 10: version 1809 build 17763.1 Since the last changes to the permissions and networking configuration I'm fighting with a setup of three PC's and a laptop. I spent last couple of days trying to fix whatever MSFT is changing and at this point I need some suggestions. I managed...
  10. Configure and validate network connections for Windows Defender Antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Configure and validate network connections for Windows Defender Antivirus: C:\WINDOWS\system32>MpCmdRun -ValidateMapsConnection 'MpCmdRun' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file....