Windows 10: Windows 10 will not activate after changing hardware no product key, digital license, free...

Discus and support Windows 10 will not activate after changing hardware no product key, digital license, free... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello MS Community,I built my PC in 2015 and purchased Windows 8. Since then, I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 and reset my PC once. When I sign... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Avian A, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Avian A Win User

Windows 10 will not activate after changing hardware no product key, digital license, free...

Hello MS Community,I built my PC in 2015 and purchased Windows 8. Since then, I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 and reset my PC once. When I sign into my Microsoft account I can clearly see my PC under my devices with Windows 10 Enterprise as the listed OS.Here is what I did:Upgraded my GPU from an AMD R9 280XFX to an EVGA nVidia GTX 1080 TI FTW3Added 16 GB RAM to my existing 16 GB of RAM for a total of 32GB 4x8 using the same brand, model, size, and frequencyReset the PC - I reset and resintalled windows on my C: drive.I decided on a fresh start and did my first reset since acquiring my

:)

Avian A, Mar 14, 2023
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Windows won't activate a digital license but will with a product key?

If you plan on "transferring" a digital license from one computer to another using the activation troubleshooter and your Microsoft Account, then yes, start with the generic product key on the new computer. Actually, on a new install, you select the option for "I don't have a product key" and then after the install use the Activation Troubleshooter.

Otherwise, if you are using a unique product key, either purchased or embedded in the firmware of the computer by the factory - let Windows 10/11 activate for the first time from that product key. AFTER it is activated, change the product key to the generic. One advantage to doing this is that if the original product key was OEM, changing it to the generic retail product key will also change the digital license type to retail and make it transferrable to another computer.

NavyLCDR, Mar 14, 2023
  3. Windows won't activate a digital license but will with a product key?

Thank you for the insight
    That's interesting. So you are suggesting after I make my next clone, I enter a generic product key in windows activation and THEN follow up with purchasing (or transferring) a digital license? Do I understand you correctly? If so, I'll try that on my next build.

It is possible. My only experience seeing it not cleared up in an hour (besides, of course, having the wrong time on my machine or a truly faulty connection) was many years ago. When I contacted Microsoft, they were able to diagnose that my license wasn't valid but couldn't tell me why. If memory serves me correctly, I attempted to move a license from a windows ten machine that initially was an upgrade from windows seven. I discovered (on this forum) that a windows ten license that was upgraded from windows seven license was not eligible to be transferred to a new machine. And I was not able to purchase a digital license. I needed a product key.

I couldn't find reputable dealers that are still selling retail windows 10 licenses (for example, Best Buy only lists the Spanish version of windows home on their website). But since I just learned that a windows 11 license can be used my concern has been allayed.

WorkPermit, Mar 14, 2023
  4. cjlong Win User

Windows 10 will not activate after changing hardware no product key, digital license, free...

I cant activate Windows 10 after hardware change.....I had a digital license from Windows Insider.....before that had a OEM product key .......Suggestions?

I cant activate Windows 10 after hardware change.....I had a digital license from Windows Insider.....before that had a OEM product key .......Suggestions?

cjlong, Mar 14, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows 10 will not activate after changing hardware no product key, digital license, free... - Similar Threads - activate changing hardware

2. Windows 10 will not activate after changing hardware no product key, digital license, free...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will not activate after changing hardware no product key, digital license, free...: Hello MS Community,I built my PC in 2015 and purchased Windows 8. Since then, I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 and reset my PC once. When I sign into my Microsoft account I can clearly see my PC under my devices with Windows 10 Enterprise as the listed OS.Here is what I...
  3. Windows 10 will not activate after changing hardware no product key, digital license, free...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 will not activate after changing hardware no product key, digital license, free...: Hello MS Community,I built my PC in 2015 and purchased Windows 8. Since then, I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 and reset my PC once. When I sign into my Microsoft account I can clearly see my PC under my devices with Windows 10 Enterprise as the listed OS.Here is what I...
  4. Windows fails to activate after hardware change with digital license.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows fails to activate after hardware change with digital license.: I bought a new laptop and it had windows 11 home pre-installed. My previous PC had windows 10 pro. I tried resetting it but it kept installing windows 11 home. Then I deactivated the key using `slmgr /upk` and then tried a generic windows 10 pro key, and it worked. It...
  5. Windows Activation after Hardware Change for digital license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation after Hardware Change for digital license: Hi, I bought a digital license in February 2018. After I changed my hardware once, a year ago, i've never managed to reactivate my license on this hardware. Maybe I did something wrong myself. I paid the 280 Swiss Francs for a digital license, because I know I change...
  6. Activate Windows 10 using Digital License after Hardware Change

Activate Windows 10 using Digital License after Hardware Change: Hello! I'm attempting to reactivate Windows 10 using a digital license tied to my account. When I use the troubleshooter, and select that I've changed hardware, and select my device, it states "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." I get the feeling...
  7. Windows 10 Digital License Activation not working after hardware change.

Windows 10 Digital License Activation not working after hardware change.: Hello, I'm at my wits end here. Long story short, I've had Windows 10 Education for a few years now that I got from my college through OnTheHub and I recently did a motherboard/CPU upgrade. Before the swap, I made sure my MS account was linked to my Windows 10 digital...
  8. Hardware change. Windows activation digital license.

Hardware change. Windows activation digital license.: Basics, my Hard drive died and I had to do a fresh install of Windows, signed in with my Mircosoft account but windows won't activate. Tried the 'Assistant' gave me a call back option, Talk to an Agent "There was an error connecting you. Feel free to ask another question or...
  9. Windows activation after hardware change with a digital license

Windows activation after hardware change with a digital license: I recently upgraded my CPU and motherboard and cannot activate Windows. Before this upgrade my digital license was linked to my Microsoft account. I am logged in to my Microsoft account right now, but the troubleshooter is "Unable to activate Windows" when I select my current...
  10. Windows 10 Digital license key hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Digital license key hardware change: I recently upgraded my computers motherboard and SSD under the assumption that with a windows 10 pro digital license I'd be able to move the license to my new SSD and mobo via my windows account which it was attached to however it's telling me I have no digital license and...