Windows 10: Windows 10 will not activate after swapping motherboards, says in Microsoft.com that it's...

Discus and support Windows 10 will not activate after swapping motherboards, says in Microsoft.com that it's... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just swapped from an MSI motherboard to Asus, and since then I cannot get Windows 10 to activate. I also changed the PC name from a generic name to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Rei0080, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Rei0080 Win User

Windows 10 will not activate after swapping motherboards, says in Microsoft.com that it's...

I just swapped from an MSI motherboard to Asus, and since then I cannot get Windows 10 to activate. I also changed the PC name from a generic name to something personalized, and while microsoft.com recognizes the computer name, OS version, etc for my digital licence Widows 10 refuses to connect and authenticate my license on the computer. I've tried logging out/back in and going through all the build-in "I changed hardware recently" prompts but it just keeps telling me to buy a new licence. Has anyone else run into this?

:)

Rei0080, Nov 28, 2018
  2. VisioWL Win User

Windows 10 not activated after motherboard swap

Hi,

I've ran into interesting problem after swapping out my computer's motherboard. The old motherboard contained a windows 8.1 pro key in the bios and the computer was upgraded to window 10 pro. After I swapped out the motherboard, the old one was fried, and
    put the new one in, I can't activate windows anymore.

The new motherboard contains a new windows 8.1 key but is there a way to activate it? Or do i simply have to reinstall windows 10?

Best regards.

VisioWL, Nov 28, 2018
  3. mshimala Win User
    Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Nov 28, 2018
  4. Windows 10 will not activate after swapping motherboards, says in Microsoft.com that it's...

Windows 10 won't Activate after Motherboard Swap

I have just done a motherboard swap on my PC and have decided to reinstall Windows. When I come to activate Windows it spits out the error code 0xC004C003. I originally started with Windows 8.1 but then upgraded to Windows 10 on launch day.

madcal2000, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 will not activate after swapping motherboards, says in Microsoft.com that it's...

1. Windows 10 will not activate after swapping motherboards, says in Microsoft.com that it's... - Similar Threads - activate swapping motherboards

2. Windows 10 will not activate after motherboard/cpu swap - computer is in microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 will not activate after motherboard/cpu swap - computer is in microsoft account: I did not reinstall or change my Mass Storage Devices. So I have the exact same OS installed with the same Microsoft account signed in. hookinh up old motherboard and processor again reactivates it The system will not activate windows even after fallowing the automated help...
  3. Windows 10 will not activate after motherboard/cpu swap - computer is in microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 will not activate after motherboard/cpu swap - computer is in microsoft account: I did not reinstall or change my Mass Storage Devices. So I have the exact same OS installed with the same Microsoft account signed in. hookinh up old motherboard and processor again reactivates it The system will not activate windows even after fallowing the automated help...
  4. Windows 10 will not activate after motherboard/cpu swap - computer is in microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot Activate after Motherboard swap.

Cannot Activate after Motherboard swap.: Hello I bought a PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 Home. I set up PC and activated/linked Windows 10 to my Microsoft account. A few moths later I upgraded my Motherboard and I wanted to make sure Windows 10 was activated on new MOBO to avoid any issues, problem is the " I...
  6. Trouble activating windows 10 pro after motherboard swap.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble activating windows 10 pro after motherboard swap.: I recently changed motherboards and am having trouble activating windows 10 on PC. Im currently on my new PC. Windows is installed, but not activated. I quadruple checked everything (I thought) on my previous computer. I had a retail license and under the activation details...
  7. Cannot activate Windows 10 after motherboard swap

Cannot activate Windows 10 after motherboard swap: I recently installed a new motherboard and now unable to active my genuine digital copy of Windows 10 Home. I've followed the troubleshooting recommendations all to no avail; it tells me, "We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for...
  8. Cannot activate windows after motherboard swap.

Cannot activate windows after motherboard swap.: I had an old computer that originally had windows 7 installed from a disc that I upgraded to windows 10 a while ago. Today I upgraded its motherboard ,ram and cpu and now windows 10 wont re activate. I am logged onto the same Microsoft account that I used and it originally...
  9. Windows activation after motherboard swap

Windows activation after motherboard swap: I called Microsoft support to help with activating windows after I changed my motherboard. I have a digital licence that I received when upgrading from Windows 7 years ago. This had survived a previous motherboard swap a few years ago with no issue. Support told me there...
  10. Windows 10 Activation Failure After Motherboard Swap

Windows 10 Activation Failure After Motherboard Swap: Hello, I recently change my motherboard and now I am receiving an activation error: "Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. Error code: 0xC004F213." I have tried the "Troubleshoot" option along with the "I changed hardware on this device recently"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 motherboard swap activate

2. i swapped motherboards and windows still wont update

3. i have changed motherboard but computer ran into problem

4. swapped motherboard no windows wont activate,
  5. swapped out motherboard cant get windows to activate,
  6. windows 10 activation after motherboard swap,
  7. windows 10 activate after motherboard swap