Windows 10: Windows 10 will not allow me to choose a default application for my file type

Discus and support Windows 10 will not allow me to choose a default application for my file type in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have some .XML files which I wish to view. The Windows 10 default application for this type of file isXML Editor. Unfortunately for some unknown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Wob, Feb 15, 2020.

1. WOB
    Wob Win User

Windows 10 will not allow me to choose a default application for my file type

I have some .XML files which I wish to view. The Windows 10 default application for this type of file isXML Editor. Unfortunately for some unknown reason that will not read my .XML files. However, I do have a Microsoft application installed called XML Notepad 2007 which does enable me to view my XML files. Therefore I want to make that my default application, but Windows 10 will not allow me to do this. It only allows me to choose between: Microsoft Word, Notepad, Wordpad and XML Editor or forces me to look in Microsoft Store, but Microsoft Store does not show me my installed application XML Notepad 2007.

I find it quite surprising that I have the necessary application installed Windows 10 but Windows 10 refuses to give me the ability to set it up as the default application. Can anyone suggest a way I can set XML Notepad 2007 as the default application for .XML files?

:)

2. Bree Win User

Setting default program by file type

Welcome to Ten Forums Pearson240

See this tutorial, Option Two, Step 3.

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

3. Argel Obm Win User
    Choosing Default Apps & Insider Programme

To resolve your concern, kindly choose the default apps by file type. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose System.
    • Select Default apps.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Check all of the video file type, and then check if you can change the default app to your preferred application.
    After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result

Argel Obm, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Windows 10 will not allow me to choose a default application for my file type

cannot choose the default app I want for some file types

In "Choose default applications by file type" in Settings, when I click the current default, the list of apps that pops up allows for "Look for an app in the Store" but there's no option to choose a local app. It's a local app that I want. Thank you kindly!

Bill_Lee_42, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 will not allow me to choose a default application for my file type

1. Windows 10 will not allow me to choose a default application for my file type - Similar Threads - allow choose default

2. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  3. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  4. Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application: I have two versions of the same app. Currently, in Default Apps, the associated app is the wrong version and I need to change it. When I go to Default Apps and click to change it, it does not give me the option of the other version -- presumably because they are the same name...
  5. Removing the default application for a file type in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing the default application for a file type in Windows 10: I forgot to uncheck 'Always use this app to open .dbf files' and now my .dbf files are associated with Notepad. This is useless, obviously. I would like to just remove the .dbf's associated application instead of change it. It is so easy to accidentally set a default...
  6. Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default': WIN10, Version 2004, Build 19041-264 I have accidentally changed a file default and I want to change it back to 'Choose a default'. I have already tried 'reset' defaults but it will not change the default. Can you please help. 157993
  7. Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default'

in Windows 10 Support
    Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default': WIN10, Version 2004, Build 19041-264 I have accidentally changed a file default and I want to change it back to 'Choose a default'. I have already tried 'reset' defaults but it will not change the default. Can you please help. 157993
  8. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  9. Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb)

Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb): I had recently reinstalled Microsoft Windows 10 to try and fix the file associations. For the most part it fixed my issues. However, there is still one file association I have noticed that when trying to choose a default app by file type for (.laccdb) does not provide me the...
  10. choose default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665