Windows 10: Windows 10 will not allow users to customize their computers anymore

Discus and support Windows 10 will not allow users to customize their computers anymore in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; It seems that Microsoft wants users to use their computers the way Microsoft wants them used, NOT the way users want their computers to be and it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RS22222, Dec 8, 2018.

1. RS22222 Win User

Windows 10 will not allow users to customize their computers anymore

It seems that Microsoft wants users to use their computers the way Microsoft wants them used, NOT the way users want their computers to be and it's awful.

I have held out using my Windows 8 computer as long as I could. I finally gave in and bought a new computer with Windows 10 and I hate it.

I have poor eyesight but using high contrast hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. On every other version of Windows I have used starting with Windows XP there was a feature to allow the user to customize menus, title bars, message boxes, icons, tool tips and other features. Users who were not computer experts did not have to go into the registry, a dangerous thing to do if you are not a computer expert. All one had to do was go to Control Panel, Display, personalization and there was a drop down menu that allowed you to change all of these. You could make them bold and bigger by say going from #12 to #14. That feature is gone. I was on the phone with Microsoft tech support for two hours and the tech could not find a way to do this as I later found out online, it was taken away from Win10.

I can make a webpage bigger by hitting control and the plus sign but it doesn't work on my list of Word documents or my bookmarks or the address bar at the top of each webpage or anything other than the webpage itself.

I bought the laptop with a huge screen, 17.3 inches and it doesn't help. Why Microsoft made Win10 much less user friendly than every other version of Windows I have no idea. Win10 is not an improvement. It is just a way for Microsoft to make another few billion dollars.

:)

RS22222, Dec 8, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 8, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Dec 8, 2018
  4. RCoon Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 will not allow users to customize their computers anymore - Similar Threads - allow users customize

2. windows wont allow me to set custom margins for my photos anymore can anyone help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows wont allow me to set custom margins for my photos anymore can anyone help: windows won't allow me to set custom margins for my photos anymore can anyone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-wont-allow-me-to-set-custom-margins-for-my/d38901fa-8660-4513-ade8-8cbb662dbe23
  3. windows wont allow me to set custom margins for my photos anymore can anyone help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows wont allow me to set custom margins for my photos anymore can anyone help: windows won't allow me to set custom margins for my photos anymore can anyone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-wont-allow-me-to-set-custom-margins-for-my/d38901fa-8660-4513-ade8-8cbb662dbe23
  4. display custom resolution not allowed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    display custom resolution not allowed: In advanced display settings, display 1 is listed as internal display, and when I try to list all modes and pick a custom resolution such as 1600x1080@75hz it will not apply and reverts after 15 seconds. it used to let me do this until I updated the drivers. I reset my pc...
  5. Windows 10 Won't Allow Me to Switch User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Won't Allow Me to Switch User: I have the best computer in my household and we occasionally share my computer, either for access to a better machine or just to print something out of my printer which doesn't like to connect to WiFi. BUT as of one of the latest updates to Windows 10, my computer no longer...
  6. Creating custom restrictions for Local User in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Creating custom restrictions for Local User in Windows 10: Hello there, How I can create custom restrictions for a Local Account in Win10 which can't be able to affect the Admin Account's data. Like limited file access, limited settings access limited controlling over the system, etc. If possible, please suggest me the way! Thanks...
  7. Windows 10 Mail App Doesn't Allow Image In Signatures Anymore

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Mail App Doesn't Allow Image In Signatures Anymore: Hello, I recently had to reset my Mail app on my Lenovo Thinkpad. I just purchased and set up my Mail App with an image for the signature less than 6 months ago. However, once I reset - I no longer am able to edit my Signature other than adding unformatted text. Can anyone...
  8. Windows 10 custom computer question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 custom computer question: Greetings, I bought a desktop with Windows 10 installed a few days ago. The C drive is 1 500 gb ssd, I added a 4 gb internal "D" drive. Then I remembered I had a new Samsung 500 gb SSD. I asked my it person if he could install Win 7 professional on that drive and have it...
  9. Windows 10 computer doesn’t stay on anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 computer doesn’t stay on anymore: I have a Lenovo desktop computer with Windows 10 and I had a hard drive go bad and after the person worked on it the computer never stays on anymore does anybody have an idea why every time you go to use the computer you have to power it back on every time 95071
  10. Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent User to Change Password in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows includes a feature that allows you the administrator to prevent a user from being able to change their account...