Windows 10: Windows 10 will not boot, 'operating system missing' when selecting SSD 4 days of on-going...

Discus and support Windows 10 will not boot, 'operating system missing' when selecting SSD 4 days of on-going... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have run into a issue that has been taken me days and still wasn't able to solve. I had a bootable USB with Linux that dual-booted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Andrew Witkinson, May 21, 2020.

1. Windows 10 will not boot, 'operating system missing' when selecting SSD 4 days of on-going...

Hello everyone,

I have run into a issue that has been taken me days and still wasn't able to solve. I had a bootable USB with Linux that dual-booted with my Windows 10 version 10.0.18362.418 and started to appear with input/output errors and wasn't able to operate. I restarted my computer and the Linux system was stuck on the loading screen. I decided to format the USB and reinstall Linux. However, I had some important files so I deleted the live system partition of the Linux system, leaving only the persistence partition. My idea was installing the Linux .iso image onto the partition where the live system was as I thought it could fix it. I used the program "Universal USB Installer", which was a standard program I used all the time when making bootable Linux USB's. When I tried to write the Linux .iso image to my USB, my computer suddenly crashed with a BSoD Blue Screen of Death / Blue Screen with an error. I panicked as I did not expect this and was not able to recall the error it gave. My computer restarted and since then, would not boot up.

I tried changing options in the BIOS to boot up, such as disabling secure boot, fast boot, and even enabling CISM. Regardless of the boot options, it would not boot. However, when I did enable CISM, the only response I got when booting up the SSD, which I didn't before is, "operating system is missing". I then decided to install the windows 10 installation media onto a different USB I had at hand and try troubleshooting from there.

Startup Repair did not work. System restore gave me a automatic restore from a few days ago. I tried going through with that but after restarting, it still won't boot. Every option I was given on the installation media did not work and so I was left with command prompt. I tried using standard /bootrec commands. /bootrec fixboot would return with "access denied". /bootrec rebuildbcd would return with "0 windows installations". /bootrec /scanos would return with the same thing. /bootrec fixmbr would return saying, "the operation completed successfully", but other than that, /bootrec commands did not work for me. I noticed however, when looking through diskpart, the system partition is 260MB, and had been labelled "UUI" which is the program I used to install Linux .iso images onto my USB's "Universal USB Installer". Also, after trying the commands suggested from the advanced troubleshooting from Microsoft themselves on their website, the installation media could not identify a system restore anymore not sure if that information is helpful but I'm honestly lost for words.

I have been looking through endless forums, YouTube tutorials, and similar problems like these with no luck. Even if I want to fully reinstall my Windows 10, it would return with "A media driver your computer needs is missing". I tried using different USB ports, and switching from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 with no luck. After all of this, I can't boot into windows and I can't reinstall Windows even if it was my last resort, which I hope isn't the case. Also, I have forgotten my activation key, meaning I'm reluctant to reinstall Windows 10 but I hope with the expertise of the internet, I would be able to be assisted.

Thank you in advance.

:)

Andrew Witkinson, May 21, 2020
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 boot drive

Why do u even want a HDD/SSD that's 3TB for a operation system?

puma99dk|, May 22, 2020
  3. Dual boot not allowing to select Operating system.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

Suggest you to try the below mentioned steps and check if they helps you.

* Press Windows logo key + R to open run command

* Type Systempropertiesprotection into it and hit
    Enter key.

* Go to Advanced tab, then click Settings
    under Startup and Recovery

* Select the check box against theTime to display list of operating system
    under System startup.

* Set the time in seconds if required, then click OK and
    OK.

Now restart your PC and see if it give option to choose operating system on
    System startup.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 22, 2020
  4. Windows 10 will not boot, 'operating system missing' when selecting SSD 4 days of on-going...

Did a clean install on the SSD, now Windows only boots up when selected from Boot menu(Probably WinRE missing from SSD)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it is, when the device doesn't work in the way it should. In this scenario we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if you are able to boot the PC in first try.

1. Boot the computer as you are doing by selecting Disk 0.
    2. Then go to Disk Management and Right click on
      C drive on the SSD.
    3. Select Make partition as active.
    4. Then
      Create a bootable media
      and boot the PC using the media.
    5. On the Install Windows screen, select
      Next >Repair your computer.
    6. Click on Troubleshoot.
    7. Click on Advanced options.
    8. Click on Startup Repair.

Note: Before performing the above steps, please

create a system restore point

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 will not boot, 'operating system missing' when selecting SSD 4 days of on-going...

1. Windows 10 will not boot, 'operating system missing' when selecting SSD 4 days of on-going... - Similar Threads - boot 'operating system

2. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select operating system in operating system selection: I tried to download Windows 10 on my laptopI had Windows 7 as a second operating system. After 1st reboot the operating system selection screen appears with no operating system to select. I also can't use the recovery environment. How to fix it without usb drive?...
  3. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't select operating system in operating system selection: I tried to download Windows 10 on my laptopI had Windows 7 as a second operating system. After 1st reboot the operating system selection screen appears with no operating system to select. I also can't use the recovery environment. How to fix it without usb drive?...
  4. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 "select an operating system loop"

Windows 10 "select an operating system loop": I've recently powered my pc off while it was updating. And once I turned it back on, It took me to the "change a operating system" and there's only 2 options. Which says the same on both of them. But every time I select either of them, the pc will reset and take me back to...
  6. Windows 10 "select an operating system loop"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 "select an operating system loop": I've recently powered my pc off while it was updating. And once I turned it back on, It took me to the "change a operating system" and there's only 2 options. Which says the same on both of them. But every time I select either of them, the pc will reset and take me back to...
  7. Windows 10 "select an operating system loop"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can’t boot into any operating system and shows “Missing operating system” error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t boot into any operating system and shows “Missing operating system” error: Hello, I installed Fedora and decided I didn’t like it, so I wanted to go back to Windows. I still had my Windows partition and GRUB wouldn’t show, so I tried to make it show and messed up in the process, and ended up wanting to restore the Windows bootloader. I tried doing...
  9. "Missing Operating System"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Missing Operating System": After the last Windows update I received an error message "Missing Operating System". The issue occurred when the system started to reboot after update. I did everything that I could, including the system repair, recovery from the system image. I used safe mode but cannot...
  10. missing operating system windows 10

missing operating system windows 10: I am losing my Windows 10 operating system several times on my Dell Inspirion 15. How can I stop that from happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/missing-operating-system-windows-10/48b02801-e122-49ca-9ca8-cc4c10d9882c