Windows 10: Windows 10 Will Not Boot Without Old SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 Will Not Boot Without Old SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My OS used to be on a 960GB SSD. I upgraded the PC to a 2TB M2 SSD. I did a clean/new Windows 10 installation on that SSD. All worked fine. I finally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mana10, Mar 28, 2020.

1. mana10 Win User

Windows 10 Will Not Boot Without Old SSD

My OS used to be on a 960GB SSD. I upgraded the PC to a 2TB M2 SSD. I did a clean/new Windows 10 installation on that SSD. All worked fine. I finally tried to remove the old SSD and give it to my son as he is running out of space on his 500GB SSD. However, when I remove the old SSD the system won't boot. The BIOS tells me "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I went into the BIOS and selected by new SSD as the boot device but that didn't help. Then I did some googling. It seems that I made the mistake of not disconnecting all the drives before installing Windows 10 so the boot sector is on the old drive. So I tried to do a

bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
    Go to disk management and set my c partition as active.

However, this still did not help. Actually, the C partition always said Boot. Anyways, below is a screenshot. Any help is appreciated.

:)

mana10, Mar 28, 2020
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Mar 28, 2020
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Will Not Boot Without Old SSD

Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Will Not Boot Without Old SSD

1. Windows 10 Will Not Boot Without Old SSD - Similar Threads - Boot Without Old

2. New ssd won't boot up without old ssd attached to pc - new ssd only has one partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New ssd won't boot up without old ssd attached to pc - new ssd only has one partition: Hi everyone,Have been looking around everywhere online on how to install/add a boot-partion MBR? online to this new ssd, but so far I can't find a solution that works for me. I really don't want to format this new ssd, as it would set me back a ton of time with all the...
  3. New ssd won't boot up without old ssd attached to pc - new ssd only has one partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New ssd won't boot up without old ssd attached to pc - new ssd only has one partition: Hi everyone,Have been looking around everywhere online on how to install/add a boot-partion MBR? online to this new ssd, but so far I can't find a solution that works for me. I really don't want to format this new ssd, as it would set me back a ton of time with all the...
  4. New ssd won't boot up without old ssd attached to pc - new ssd only has one partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't boot Windows 10 on new SSD without my old HDD installed

I can't boot Windows 10 on new SSD without my old HDD installed: Hi. I had W10 installed on a HDD a while back and have just installed a fresh OS onto my new SSD. When I went to wipe my old HDD in Disk Management to use it as basic storage, I noticed two other partitions, EFI system and reserved. It let me delete everything except the EFI...
  6. Windows 10 Will not Boot on my SSD unless the old Harddrive is plugged it.

Windows 10 Will not Boot on my SSD unless the old Harddrive is plugged it.: So, I fresh installed Win 10 last night on to a new SSD Everything was peachy. This morning I turned on my computer to a window error unable to boot. I checked Bios settings, Priority is set to try booting from the new Install on the SSD first. Other drives 2nd 3rd and...
  7. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present: Hello, I have added an SSD in a Dell OptiPlex 9020. Installed a fresh version of windows using the installation media. When I boot, I now get two options of windows, one on the old volume and one on the new. Both will boot and are usable. However, if I disable or remove...
  8. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD: Hi, My old SSD (with windows 10 installed) is not big enough, so I bought a new one, Samsung 970 EVO with NVMe. After cloning my old SSD to the new one using Clonezilla and replacing the SSD, I was not able to boot to Windows. I selected the Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS...
  9. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609
  10. Format old SSD with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Format old SSD with Windows 10: Hi All.... I recently upgraded to a PCI SSD and want to format the SSD with the old installation files on it and use it for storage. What would be the proper way to go about this with both versions on those drives being Windows 10, and the new PCI SSD Windows 10 Creators...