Windows 10: Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I moved a 3TB HDD from a Windows 7 Pro computer to my new Windows 10 Pro computer. Rather than delete all the data, I thought it would be quicker to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by David#Smith, Nov 8, 2018.

1. David#Smith Win User

Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD

I moved a 3TB HDD from a Windows 7 Pro computer to my new Windows 10 Pro computer. Rather than delete all the data, I thought it would be quicker to just do a Quick Format. I was wrong. Disk Management just sat there doing nothing for over 45 minutes. I deleted all partitions in the drive and created one large partition and tried again. Same results.

I removed the HDD from the new computer and installed it in the old (Windows 7) computer. I did a Quick Format in a few seconds. I put the newly formatted HDD in the new computer and I'm in business.

What is the difference?

:)

David#Smith, Nov 8, 2018
  2. colontbel Win User

can win10 be installed in HDD over 3TB

Provide the tool as (Seagate is doing for their HDDs), to format the rest hitachi 3TB HDD capacityon new Win 10 Pro 64bit PC withot UEFI Bios to see beyond 2TB HDD capacity, wth te new MBR or GPT... . I contacted WD company, but they asked me to contact
    Microsoft.. But Im not sure if you can handle it, as always.

colontbel, Nov 8, 2018
  3. JimWynne Win User
    can win10 be installed in HDD over 3TB

What is your question?

JimWynne, Nov 8, 2018
  4. G.Simmons Win User

3tb+ HDD in Windows 10

Hi Vanessa,

1 - All my HDD are internal.

2 - The dynamic volume was created by spanning the unallocated space shown above on Disk 1 and Disk 2. That space used to show in disk management as Disk 3 and 4 and they were combined in to one dynamic volume.

As said the partitioning was done with Gigabytes 3Tb+ Unlock program.

In theory I suspect I could format the 746.52Mb from each drive and re-allocate it however it has files on which I am loath to delete.

G.Simmons, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD - Similar Threads - Quick Format 3TB

2. Using Macrium7 (free) to clone main 1TB HDD to 3TB HDD -make bootable?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using Macrium7 (free) to clone main 1TB HDD to 3TB HDD -make bootable?: Hello all, So I'm simply trying to upgrade from a 1 TB HDD to a 3 TB HDD. I was hoping, rather than backing up all of my data, and doing a fresh install of windows, then reinstalling everything - to instead do a simple clone, but make my main data partition bigger, taking...
  3. Windows 10 Activation error after complete format HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Activation error after complete format HDD: Few year ago I had purchased a new laptop having Windows10 Home installed in it. Used it for a year after that it stopped responding due to too many errors then 2,3 times I did complete format at the interval of 3,4 months but now I am not able to activate my windows. Tried...
  4. Reinstalling : Is a Quick Format sufficient to remove a virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reinstalling : Is a Quick Format sufficient to remove a virus: I am reinstalling Windows 10 on an SSD. I read that performing a full format on a SSD is not good for it. I would prefer to use a quick format. Will a Quick Format be sufficient enough to remove a virus? 61632
  5. HDD Format result

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Format result: Last week I/we replaced an old 2.5 inch SATA HDD (500gb) with a Samsung 850 EVO, also 500gb. Laptop and all installed items are company supplied and company owned. Instruction memo from IT Dept. suggested using the removed HDD as a portable HDD by enclosing same in a SATA...
  6. Cannot format WD 1TB HDD

Cannot format WD 1TB HDD: I bought a new WD 1TB HDD and was running install/format when I had a power outage. When power came back I could not format this drive. The drive shows in Device Manager but fails format there and every where I have tried. I used UBDC and have not been able to format in...
  7. Secondary 3TB HDD not showing in explorer after W10 Upgrade

Secondary 3TB HDD not showing in explorer after W10 Upgrade: Hello everyone! I'm and after effortless googling for 2 days I seek your wisdom in a specific problem I'm having after updating to Windows 10. My setup before the problem was: - Windows 8.1 in a 250GB SSD with Linux dual boot - Secondary 160GB HDD (fs: ntfs, type:...
  8. Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?

Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?: If so, what are my options? This HDD came from HP w/Win 7. I upgraded it to Win 10 but would like to clone it to the SSD for the speed increase. Thanks in advance, jeff 40208
  9. Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed

Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed: I just went from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 --- very cool. My hard drive is clogged with a lot of old stuff; I want to reformat the drive. Question: how do I get a recovery / boot format for my new Win 10 installation? Thank you for the suggestions 43847
  10. Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option

Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option: Hey all, I know that it is advised that one should not format a SSD without the Quick Format option enabled. However I want to start with a completely clean SSD. This is not my C drive (Windows 10) but rather a second SSD used for certain applications. Question is, will...