Windows 10: Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I moved a 3TB HDD from a Windows 7 Pro computer to my new Windows 10 Pro computer. Rather than delete all the data, I thought it would be quicker to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by David#Smith, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD

I moved a 3TB HDD from a Windows 7 Pro computer to my new Windows 10 Pro computer. Rather than delete all the data, I thought it would be quicker to just do a Quick Format. I was wrong. Disk Management just sat there doing nothing for over 45 minutes. I deleted all partitions in the drive and created one large partition and tried again. Same results.

I removed the HDD from the new computer and installed it in the old (Windows 7) computer. I did a Quick Format in a few seconds. I put the newly formatted HDD in the new computer and I'm in business.

What is the difference?

:)

David#Smith, Nov 8, 2018
  2. colontbel Win User

can win10 be installed in HDD over 3TB

Provide the tool as (Seagate is doing for their HDDs), to format the rest hitachi 3TB HDD capacityon new Win 10 Pro 64bit PC withot UEFI Bios to see beyond 2TB HDD capacity, wth te new MBR or GPT... . I contacted WD company, but they asked me to contact
    Microsoft.. But Im not sure if you can handle it, as always.

colontbel, Nov 8, 2018
  3. JimWynne Win User
    can win10 be installed in HDD over 3TB

What is your question?

JimWynne, Nov 8, 2018
  4. G.Simmons Win User

Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD

3tb+ HDD in Windows 10

Hi Vanessa,

1 - All my HDD are internal.

2 - The dynamic volume was created by spanning the unallocated space shown above on Disk 1 and Disk 2. That space used to show in disk management as Disk 3 and 4 and they were combined in to one dynamic volume.

As said the partitioning was done with Gigabytes 3Tb+ Unlock program.

In theory I suspect I could format the 746.52Mb from each drive and re-allocate it however it has files on which I am loath to delete.

G.Simmons, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD

1. Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD - Similar Threads - Quick Format 3TB

2. Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD: Microsoft recently past 2 weeks or so helped me to activate Windows 10 Professional on my SSD. Now I have installed a 3TB HDD Seagate, and wish to install Windows 10 Pro on there as well. I am lead to believe that my activation is linked to my Microsoft account. Okay, but...
  3. Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD: Microsoft recently past 2 weeks or so helped me to activate Windows 10 Professional on my SSD. Now I have installed a 3TB HDD Seagate, and wish to install Windows 10 Pro on there as well. I am lead to believe that my activation is linked to my Microsoft account. Okay, but...
  4. Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting HDD: Why creating partition does not generate healthy partitions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-hdd/bd6e4a63-8334-4c10-9ba3-4c82e381a01f
  6. HDD Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Format: This might be a stupid Question lolHow do I tell for If an External USB HDD has been Formatted or not .... so I know for IF I NEED to Format it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-format/b956aefa-2570-4e3a-b8d6-e8715e386bba
  7. 3TB HDD PC reading 222GB Help

3TB HDD PC reading 222GB Help: 3TB HDD PC reading 222GB Help [img] 147549
  8. windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update: sorry this is my first post here so im not too sure how your suppose to say what i mean so im just gonna say it. last night my computer needed an update so when i shut it down it asked me to update and shut down and today when i turned it back on windows stopped working so...
  9. How long time to format 3Tbyte HDD (not quick format)? Dead HDD?

How long time to format 3Tbyte HDD (not quick format)? Dead HDD?: Is my HDD dead? Or can someone tell me how long time it will take to format a 3Tbyte HDD with one big partition? Right now it is trying to format via an elevated prompt and DISKPART. After about 9 minutes it says it is 1% finished .. ie it will take about 900 minutes to...
  10. WD 3TB HDD will only format to 2048GB with GPT (IT Professional)

WD 3TB HDD will only format to 2048GB with GPT (IT Professional): Hey Guys, New to the Forum's. I am really struggling with getting 3 of my 3TB WD Green HDD's to show up as full capacity. I have already gone through Disk Part with all of them and windows will only read them as 2048GB even in the Bios. They have all been formatted to GPT....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 will not format 3tb?